Page 1 of 3
Okay guys, I'm not sure if this thread has been done before but what the hell...

Weve all heard about how good hysteria is, how longview is great and yyz is one of the best ever. But I wanna know some of the unsung heros of amazing basslines that you have at your dispense.

Ill start the ball rolling and hopefully everyone can find a hidden gem they may not have known about beforehand that turns out to be fun to play:

Rush - Prime Mover

A practically unheard of song by Rush off Hold Your Fire, but in my opinion one of Geddys best bass lines ever. Its quite easy compared to the likes of yyz and malignant narcissism but great fun to play along to.

Jackson 5 - I want you back

One of my favourite basslines, pretty sure this has had a few mentions by some but still think it deserves more praise, if you havent heard it you should check it out.

Red Hot Chillis - Wet Sand

Again this is easy, but i love how it slowly builds up with more complex fills in the verses til the big climax at the end with one of Frusciantes best guitar solos, definately reccomend learning.

So what are some of yours? Doesnt matter about genre (as I've tried to vary styles above) but just wanna find some more fun songs that dont get enough recognition
I LOVE PRIME MOVER!

I also think that the bassline from While My guitar gently weeps is better than the guitar Flaming ahead .
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
J Mascis + The Fog - Ground Me To You

I'm not really sure what draws me to the bass playing in this song, but it manages to do a lot whilst playing against a fairly basic chord structure, some really melodic lines. The song 'Set Us Free' on a later album's a good one too, even under the solo he's doing all these little fills here and there, especially the fills under the solo that really build up the tension even when the focus is elsewhere.

edit: oh, and every Incubus song. And lots on Dinosaur Jr's 2nd and 3rd albums (lots of bass chords, counterpoint, seperate melodies, generally well built basslines that both do their own thing while also working together with the guitar).
Last edited by pete-c at Jul 25, 2010,
Quote by Dream Floyd
I LOVE PRIME MOVER!

I also think that the bassline from While My guitar gently weeps is better than the guitar Flaming ahead .

Finally someone else that knows prime mover!

Ah yes I shouldve added some Beatles i dont think Mcartney gets enough credit for his basslines, i will have a listen and see :P
Quote by MaXiMuse
Porcupine Tree - Hatesong and Halo (verse), both damn fine riffs

Chevelle - The Clincher Dropped Bb is pretty low

Incubus - Are You In

Slipknot - Vermillion chorus (RIP Paul Gray)

And Muse - Glorious, the chorus...

I love hatesong! porcupine trees bassist has some pretty good lines
I think that Incubus got a few nice lines.
I really like these songs:
Deep Inside
Hilikus
Azwethinkweiz (Yes, that's the way it's spelled)
And of course ''Are You In'' but that one has already been mentioned.

I also like Michael Jackson - Billy Jean and Mc Hammer - Can't Touch This.
Quote by sadistic_monkey

I suggest you construct a space station the size of a moon, and destroy their home planet.

Quote by Wratheh
Grab a lighter and light it by your ass while farting. That's how you flame someone.
The Warmth - Incubus
Easy bassline but has a very nice groove with it.

Just a quick word check out Battlestar Scratchlatica by Incubus, funk yo

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
The bassline from Resistance is pretty underrated. Takes a tremendous amount of skill to play, as does the bassline from New Born (both by Muse)

Karnivool's Simple Boy has an awesome bassline, that not enough people know about, in fact most Karnivool songs do.

Just The Way I'm Feeling by Feeder has also got a really nice bassline to it.

Porcupine Tree's bassist is also incredibly underrated as a whole, he has magnificent work.
most queen stuff really, john deacon is generally a very underrated bassist
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Quote by Dan_5893
The bassline from Resistance is pretty underrated. Takes a tremendous amount of skill to play, as does the bassline from New Born (both by Muse)

Karnivool's Simple Boy has an awesome bassline, that not enough people know about, in fact most Karnivool songs do.

Just The Way I'm Feeling by Feeder has also got a really nice bassline to it.

Porcupine Tree's bassist is also incredibly underrated as a whole, he has magnificent work.

cant say im a big fan of resistance, its more about the consistency of keeping the rhythm then 'tremendous amount of skill' but just the way im feeling is pretty good and i agree about porcupine tree, will check out simple boy :P

gonna add a few more to the list

Sublime - Santeria
Very easy but very fun reggae/ska song to play good for beginners

Spocks Beard - At the end of the day
Will be very surprised if anyones heard of this, but the bassline to this is insane. If you get your chance to listen to this song (the uneditted 14min version) listen to the final verse where the bassist decides to go into some funk solo out of nowhere. Cant play it personally but the bassline always brings a smile to my face.

Keep them coming guys
Andy Rourke´s lines.
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
Interpol- Untitled. It's probably not that "underrated" but its absolutely fantastic, has a very mellow, almost hypnotic sound to me.

Muse- Eternally Missed. Not all that technical, but the heavy distortion, and just the dark dark tone of the song make an awesome song, wish it wasn't just a B-side.

Muse- Darkshines. Awesome spainish influenced bassline wild at the chorus, absolutely crazy live. I love pretty much every bassline off of Origin of Symmetry
I've always thought that the lines from "Fa Fa Fa" by Datarock and "From the Ritz to the Rubble" by Arctic Monkeys were phenomenal.

"Soul to Squeeze" by RHCP is still my favorite, not sure how under/overrated that one is.
My Instruments:
MusicMan S.U.B. 4
Ibanez SR500
Peavey BAM 210
Gallien-Kruger MB115 Ultralight
DigiTech Bass Whammy
peace sells - megadeth
5 magicks - megadeth
46 & 2 - Tool
bitchslap/do nothing - slipknot
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
a couple easy ones but still very fun to play
sublime-slow ride
the fall of troy- fcpremix
suicidal tendencies- go skate
Hey Man, Nice Shot by Filter is really fun to play, it was the first riff I learned by ear.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by primusfan
XTC - "mayor of simpleton"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Da9sc6YDBo

colin moulding = brilliant.

hell yeah!

Why is it that XTC fans are always surprised to see another XTC fan?

You can't get the full effect of that bassline until you've heard the 12" Mayor of Simpleton EP (which i have somewhere ). It really brings it to life a lot better than any youtube video can.

Colin Moulding deserves a lot more recognition than he gets. Colin Moulding + Terry Chambers = best rhythm section ever imo
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
If you haven't ever paid attention to it, go and listen to the bass line from Jaws of Life off John Petrucci's solo album. It's ****ing brilliant.

The Death From Above 1979 stuff is also pretty underrated, Pull Out is some of the most fun you can have with a fuzz pedal (and that's coming from a HUGE muse fan...).

And +1 for whoever mentioned Karnivool, I love Simple Boy.
I love XTC. Moulding's basslines, even in their simplest forms are brilliant. I love "Senses working overtime". And "Respectable Street" is just great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqDFGpd845Y&feature=related

Another one from that era is Joe Jackson's bass player, Graham Maby. Great basslines in songs like "Pretty Boys"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmD0Y6fcFDc

And Beat Crazy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyCjExc72Xw
"The World I Know" by Collective Soul.

Its such a nice and soothing bassline....lots of fun to play too.
Quote by adj209
peace sells - megadeth
5 magicks - megadeth
46 & 2 - Tool
bitchslap/do nothing - slipknot

lol at Peace Sells....
If anything is underrated by Megadeth, I think it might be Hook in Mouth. It's very simple, but it has an outrageous bass fill that's used a couple times. Also, I like The God That Failed by Metallica.
Okay.

Cake-"The Distance", "I will Survive", "Short Skirt, Long Jacket", and pretty much any other song by them.

NoFx-"Seeing Double at the Triple Rock"

Chevelle-"An Evening with el Diablo"

AFI-"Totalimmortal"

Alanis Morissette-"You Oughtta Know"

Breaking Benjamin-"So Cold"

Have fun with those, man.
Quote by GrimmShadowbane
Okay.

Cake-"The Distance", "I will Survive", "Short Skirt, Long Jacket", and pretty much any other song by them.

NoFx-"Seeing Double at the Triple Rock"

Chevelle-"An Evening with el Diablo"

AFI-"Totalimmortal"

Alanis Morissette-"You Oughtta Know"

Breaking Benjamin-"So Cold"

Have fun with those, man.

Completely forgot about Cake, great bassist indeed. So Cold also has got a great bassline which is way too quiet i swear (although havent listened to the song for ages), will check out the other ones
Cult of Personality by Living Colour. Very in-your-face and a great one to play once you get it down properly.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
As lame as it is I've always loved some of the lines Sugar Ray's bassist puts out. They're never very complex but they're almost always great compliments to the song without being just basic roots under everything
Being both a guitarist and bassist,I don't see myself as more of either,I will say Under The Bridge.Probably one of Frusciante's most recognizable guitar works but the basswork Flea does there is absolutely amazing and nobody gives it much credit.

Also Use Somebody by Kings Of Leon,starting from second verse.
If you could reason with religious people,there would be no religious people.
The bassline in the solo section of Obfuscation by Between the Buried and Me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OspGO0YVeRI#t=5m5s
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay