So yeah, some girl friends of mine asked me yesterday if I could help them out playing bass with them at a talent show. I said: "Well, yeah, what's the song?" And they said: "California Gurls by Katy Perry." They knew of my... heavier taste in music (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, System of a Down and so on) so they added a: "But it's got a nice bassline!" In order to convince me to help them out. They seemed rather nervous when they asked me so I went: "Oh, what the heck, I'll do it." So now I'm learning a Katy Perry song, to play in front of a crowd, for the first time ever.

Have you ever found yourselves in the same situation?
I did this for my schools talent show on acoustic guitar, dunno if that counts. I usually play modern folky style music on guitar, and to be asked to play songs like I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker by Sandi Thom, and Human by The Killers, and not bother about the singing, was a nice change, I suppose.

It wasnt uncommon for people to ask me at my old school to provide the music backing, haha, I played drums for a girl playing piano and singing Thousand Miles by Vanessa Carlton, but the funny thing is, I never got placed in the top 5 acts, in any of the talent shows I took part in at my school.
Well, I've played Livin' on a Prayer once or twice.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
The good part I'm taking out of this experience is that, because it's only one song and the bassline's not that hard, it might probably help erase any signs of stage fright on my first time playing onstage so in the future, when I play the music I wanna play I'll already have some experience of what it's like playing in front of people.
I had to learn some guitar accompaniment for accordion songs. It was confusing as fuck but it was fun.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
my skin starts to boil when i hear pop because im so brutal and dark so no
Quote by rickyj

lol, if you're trying to insinuate this is what I think then you're wrong, I just don't like pop cause I find it uninteresting, however this song's bassline is an easy slapped bassline so it actually seems interesting.
I learned i kissed a girl.

Well
had to.
And, also learnt it by ear

Yes you can sigh or scream or be shocked or something

And also i had to learn a maroon 5 and zutons bassline
but the zutons are not that bad, right?
:S
Don't worry about it, just play. Forget it's a pop song and just focus on nailing the bassline.

Quote by Greendayfan16

cool story bra.................somebody doesn't like Christianity, who woulda thought?

Quote by NickGiovanni
Lol, This is Sig worthy my friend, Kudos to you and your wise-ass-ness
I've played: Beyonce (can't remember the song), Starry Eyed - Ellie Goulding and some Mumford And Sons. I quite enjoy playing the odd pop song from time to time, get to put a twist on stuff i've heard around a million times.
ive never had this problem either. i refuse to confine myself to any particular genre's. i play anything that sounds fun, if its blues, rock, metal or even pop. a fun bassline, is still a fun bassline.
Quote by rickyj

+100000

Seriously though, do it. Just go up there and have some fun
GUITARS
Jackson AT-1
Schecter Loomis-FR
Squier Stratocaster
BASSES
Jay Turser JTB-402
AMPS
Fender Super Champ XD
Washburn Mad Dog
PEDALS
Vox Satchurator

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Silveroon009
lol, if you're trying to insinuate this is what I think then you're wrong, I just don't like pop cause I find it uninteresting, however this song's bassline is an easy slapped bassline so it actually seems interesting.

i was actually poking fun at all metalheads, myself included

but yea i cant stand pop/techno/dance/rap/hip hop

id much rather listen to metal, classical, or blues(in that order)
I'll share with you what an old wise homeless guitarist told me. "You can't be a great musician unless, you open your mind and understand how all genres work." I don't know about you?.. but, that stuck to me ever since.. good luck with that show!
Quote by Silveroon009

When you actually give pop a decent chance, you'll find it's one of the most eclectic genres around. It's unbelievably diverse. I find it very hard to believe thata person can't find any pop interesting.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
When you actually give pop a decent chance, you'll find it's one of the most eclectic genres around. It's unbelievably diverse. I find it very hard to believe thata person can't find any pop interesting.

+1
I really find pop interesting at the moment, there's a lot of mixtures of styles going on. Really liking Katy Perry, BoB, 3oh3! and professor Green.

There's interesting things in most genres. Pop is just what's popular. Hence the name
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
People are gonna hate, no matter what you play or how well you play it. Just enjoy yourself. It's the joy of expression that matters in the end, not what what some judgmental audience member thinks.

And yes, I have found myself in a similar situation.. I played bass for an audition of Thousand Miles in front of my high school's show choir.
Gear:

Fender Jazz
Spector Legend Custom 5
Yamaha BB415

Fender Bassman 400 Pro
Quote by kamayzing
People are gonna hate, no matter what you play or how well you play it. Just enjoy yourself. It's the joy of expression that matters in the end, not what what some judgmental audience member thinks.

And yes, I have found myself in a similar situation.. I played bass for an audition of Thousand Miles in front of my high school's show choir.

Cracking tune that is. One of the first pop songs I transcribed to a two handed tapping arrangement.
xD ben, trust you.

I play bass for the Glee Club at school, then go home and (attempt to) learn Spawn of Possession songs. I strive for musical diversity because that's what makes a great musician, not just an awesome metal bassist, but one who can turn their hand to many other styles as well.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I'm a pop-convert.

In highschool all i played was crust punk (i.e.-His Hero is Gone, Amebix, Wolfbrigade).

Then it switched to 'screamo' (i.e.-Pg99, Orchid, Majority Rule)

Then i settled on techy/spazzy hardcore (i.e.-The Assistant, Botch, Deadguy)

I didn't play much of anything outside these genres for many years. When i was 22ish i was hanging with some friends listening to motown and i got hip to the legendary James Jamerson. I began to play along to any and everything. My attitude changed considerably. Whereas i use to play only angry/aggressive music, i started to play other stuff and write poppier things.

Now, years later, my 2 main touring bands are both loosly in the pop genre. One is sort of power-pop/pop-punk and the other is garage-pop.

So, play everything if you want to really grow as a bassist. Don't relegate yourself to only one genre.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I am a non-christian who plays/leads a church worship band, so it happens to me frequently, don't ask how that happened...
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
That situation hasn't happened where I didn't want to play, but playing a strange song for me was when we studied folk in a music lesson at college. It turned out to be fun but it was very strange at first.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom