So lately I've been looking on getting a new guitar...I'm pretty sure I'm going to get an acoustic, but I have to say the Melody Maker reissue is really tickling my fancy, making me reconsider about getting an acoustic. Anybody have experience with these?

I'm not in a good area as far as music stores go, the majority being 6 hours away from my town, so I don't know for sure if there are any MM's around at all, and I don't really want to order online. Not into buying guitars without trying them first, but I'm starting to think if I'm going to get a guitar that I really want I'm going to have to order online. Anybody who can offer experience in that area, please do
I tried one when I was in Vegas, and I thought it was quite nice, I didn't like the feel of the finish on it though.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I happened to run across a nice used Melody Maker Reissue on May 5 of this year for $300. This was just a few days after the Nashville Gibson plant got flooded. It wasn't clear at that point how long Gibson would be down and I thought it might be a good idea to glom onto any decently priced Gibson as an investment hedge. Turns out Gibson wasn't out of business that long, but it allowed me to become very familiar with the Melody Maker.

The MM is an extremely "fun" guitar to play. It's a guitar that grows on you, but in order for that to happen you have to get by the 3 big detractors that most critics like to point out--- narrow headstock, odd/fugly scratch plate, and thin finish.

These are all cosmetic issues that have nothing to do with the MM's playability. It does have some technical deficiencies however, the worst being the wraparound bridge with no provision for adjusting the intonation (although aftermarket wraparound bridges with TOM-style adjusters are available for less than $40). I also don't like how deeply concaved the contour between the bouts is. If I play sitting down I sometimes hit my thigh with the pick on a downward strum, particularly if I'm wearing baggy pants. The single pickup also limits it's overall tonal range.

The overall feel is very much like a lightweight LP Jr. The neck is really nice with low frets and almost a perfect contour for my liking. The single coil pickup produces a very unique sound. Too bright to be mistaken for a humbucker, too fat to be mistaken a Strat or Tele. Sounds more like a P90 than anything else but a bit brighter. Backing the tone control down to about 6 mitigates the brightness considerably. The MM can get very loud and cuts through just about anything on lead solos.

It's amazing how much growl it produces with the volume knob dimed, but backing it off to about 8 gives a really clean tone. Personally, I think it's best to max out the volume and play with the gain and tone settings on the amp.

Like I said, most people who dis the MM have usually just played one briefly at a music store. It has to grow on you. Of course, with it's tonal limitations it may not appeal to heavy metal afficianados, shredders, or music styles for which a humbucker is the traditional choice. Good for classic rock and some country. Probably the best value for the money in a Gibson though. All this is just opinion, but pretty much any other responses you get will be opinion as well. Not many absolutes in the guitar world...

-Dawg
I got one earlier this year and love it. A great fun guitar and as an added bonus it is made in the USA.For a single,single coil pickup it covers an amazing amount of ground while maintaining a sound all its own. Is it for everyone? Nope.No guitar is but,for the people that can get along with and tame the beast it just works.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Last edited by Bhaok at Jul 26, 2010,
I like the melody maker reissue, but i'm a little spoiled in that i got to play an original '65 melody maker in what was to be some of the happiest 2 hours or so of my life

The reissue is a nice, cheerful model though - not quite the same "happy gas" effect the '65 had on me but still something delightful about it nonetheless.

Don't expect serious tone from these things though - of course if you wanna play punk or grunge or something with a sort of junky tone the melody maker would be perfect, but due to the thin body it doesn't really offer anything substancial tone-wise - and nor did the original '65. However, fantastic quality for the price

^@Bhaok: I couldn't have put it better myself. I guess i was a bit negative - the sound is good but it's "quirky".
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I think the new Melody Makers are very nice for the money. I owned one of the earliest ones made it was actually made in 58. One of the best guitars I ever owned even though the previous owner yanked out the original pup and tossed in a P90 which I didn't like and dropped in a Humbucker. The new ones feel and play pretty much the same of course I am not a big single coil person but now a days you can get a humbucker that fits right into that single coil spot without modiing the body. I have considered a few I have seen on Craig's list for as low as $250.00 if something better didn't pop up I probably would have at least two MM.

John
Glad to hear you guys have got some good experiences with them. I'm hoping to get into the city soon, and poke around a few stores. Not that the stores here compare to the stores anywhere else, but at least I'll have the chance to play anything that catches my eye.

Hoping there's an MM there, but if not I'm pretty open minded. I made the decision to not look up any guitars in my price range at all online, but to buy one that feels right and kind of calls out.
Quote by johnro6659
I think the new Melody Makers are very nice for the money. I owned one of the earliest ones made it was actually made in 58. One of the best guitars I ever owned even though the previous owner yanked out the original pup and tossed in a P90 which I didn't like and dropped in a Humbucker. The new ones feel and play pretty much the same of course I am not a big single coil person but now a days you can get a humbucker that fits right into that single coil spot without modiing the body. I have considered a few I have seen on Craig's list for as low as $250.00 if something better didn't pop up I probably would have at least two MM.

John

heck man, i got all three finishes. each is also dual pickup.

one is modded with SD single e sized 'buckers.

The other two are my number1&2 with the modded one being used in jam settings

needless to say Im in love with these affordable tone boxes.