Hi

Ive got a RR3 with duncan detonators in it. Im considering a pickup upgrade, maybe to duncan Invaders, or the duncan hot rodded set set.

The reason for my upgrade is that the guitar doesnt really scream when soloing, it sounds very tame, like theres not enough output, especially the neck sounds really dull when soloing. Is this likely to be the duncan design detonators, or is it my amp which is a a cube 30x?

Is it worth upgrading my pickups now while I still have that amp?

Opinions on the invaders and the hot rodded set?

Any other suggestions for pick ups? mainly for thrash metal, and slightly heavier stuff.

Cheers for the help
In my opinion it's the amp. The DD Detonators aren't the best pups out there, but I've played my Xpt700 with DiMarzio D-Activators through a Cube 30x my friend has, and it sounded just as you described - tame and dull. So, save up some money and get yourself a better amp.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
For metal, in my opinion there really is one easy to go for. EMG's. You know your in the right direction if your getting EMG's for metal-based style music.
It's all in the amp. I can even get my V-50 to scream through my ValveKing.

When you have a good amp designed to do what you want to do, it starts to not even matter what guitar you have.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Nah not keen on EMG's, my mate has an ltd with them and they sound pretty average through my amp, because its a modelling amp. Very muddy distorted cleans, unless the volume was rolled completely down, and weird palm muting sound.

So would prefer passive pickups.
-whispers-

I wonder if the TS knows his name means "dick-shaped object"
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
Quote by ithyphallic
Yep i do haha

It's also a name of Nile's recent album from 2007, I believe

Quote by LoudLove5150
It's also a name of Nile's recent album from 2007, I believe

Indeed haha
Quote by ithyphallic
Nah not keen on EMG's, my mate has an ltd with them and they sound pretty average through my amp, because its a modelling amp. Very muddy distorted cleans, unless the volume was rolled completely down, and weird palm muting sound.

So would prefer passive pickups.

You probably wouldn't if you had a good amp.

Seriously dude, the guitar isn't the problem with your sound.

There's no way an RR3 needs a pickup change to "scream". Run that mother through a 6505, and then tell me it can't scream.

Haha

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
EMGs into a solid state is bad enough. Running them into a modeling amp is even worse =/

Quote by Offworld92
You probably wouldn't if you had a good amp.

Seriously dude, the guitar isn't the problem with your sound.

There's no way an RR3 needs a pickup change to "scream". Run that mother through a 6505, and then tell me it can't scream.

Haha

Yeah I'm not really in a position at the moment to buy a new amp. Im just trying to figure out if changing the duncan designed pickups is going to improve it. Ive read the duncan designed pups are pretty average.

And I agree if I had a better amp i would look into EMG's, but unfortunatly thats not the case haha

Quote by LoudLove5150
EMGs into a solid state is bad enough. Running them into a modeling amp is even worse =/

Yeah exactly why I'm looking at passives, plus they usually slightly cheaper too
Last edited by ithyphallic at Jul 25, 2010,
Changing pickups won't do anything other than waste your money. You've got a standard solid state, digital modelling amp; unless you're make a huge jump in pickup design like humbuckers to single coils or very low output to very high output, you're not going to notice a difference - even then the only difference you'll likely notice is a negative one.

If you buy new pickups you'll just be wasting money making your tone arguably worse and delaying purchasing a new amp. Your amp dictates your tone more than your guitar does - your pickups don't actually effect your tone all that much other than in terms of clarity really. Changing the Detonators (made after the Invader design) to another high-output humbucker will do literally nothing whatsoever for your tone.

Save up, get a new amp. In terms of getting a tone you're happy with, it's quicker and cheaper to save up and buy an amp that gives you the tone you want.

Quote by LoudLove5150
Whoa there, let's clarify something: active pickups through any sub-100w solid state amp is bad. Above that and you're going to be singing Mr. Blue Sky. Hell, the active design was first invented to be used by jazz players with solid state amps.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^

Make up your mind, Flibble! First it was only over 150W, and then it was 120W, and now it's 100W... when will it end? JK

But yeah, TS, listen to him. Pickup changes don't do shit if you don't have an amp that will let your guitar's tone shine through.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I also think that it is more in the amp. I don't think you will be able to notice a huge difference like you would if you got a cheap tube amp like a Valveking and then switched the pickups.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by Offworld92
^

Make up your mind, Flibble! First it was only over 150W, and then it was 120W, and now it's 100W... when will it end? JK
It depends on the exact nature of the amp but yeah, I'm starting to lower my expectations. I've been trying out some more really high-quality solid state amps (yes, there is such a thing) and I've determind that under 70w is where even the very best amps fall apart with active pickups. 70w-100w seems dodgy ground. 100w+ does seem to be the line where the good solid states can handle actives properly though. I think for now I'm going to be sticking to saying 100w; I wouldn't want to suggest 70w to someone when I'm talking about boutique amps in the £3000 region and they're thinking of some god-awful MG halfstack. If someone seems really dense then I would still advise them to not go below 150w.

That's the problem with forums. People seem to forget that I'm still learning myself and once you factor in that most people here are talking about beginner gear, it becomes one huge cluster**** of crossed wires.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
*nod* Well, we all help where we can, I guess. I think I spend too much time on here, and not enough time practicing though.

I'll probably take a UG break soon. All the same bullshit day after day gets really hard on the eyes, you know? And it's like, no one ever wants to listen to experience or the truth, or even opinions (even though they ask for them), and it just gets out of hand.

Anyway... that was random.

How's your Line 6 treating you?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
*nod* Well, we all help where we can, I guess. I think I spend too much time on here, and not enough time practicing though.
I've been telling myself for the last four years that I should actually play guitar more instead of just looking at bits of wood and talking about them, but I've not gotten round to it. It's kind of backwards that I'm trusted enough to service guitars worth five-figures and I average eight e-mails a day asking for my opinion on something, yet I can't actually play worth a damn.

Pro tip kids: if you want to be a great guitar player, practise more than fifteen minutes a week and don't spend four hours a day looking at magnets and capacitors.

I'll probably take a UG break soon. All the same bullshit day after day gets really hard on the eyes, you know? And it's like, no one ever wants to listen to experience or the truth, or even opinions (even though they ask for them), and it just gets out of hand.
Again, I've been telling myself the same thing for a while now. But I'm still here. FML.

How's your Line 6 treating you?
Fantastic other than in typical fashion I'm spending far longer dicking around dialing in the perfect tone than I am actually playing anything. Once I get the foot controller and have access to the full 32 custom presets, that's going to be my life over. God help my neighbours if I ever buy a second cab and unleash the full 300 watts on them.
I've had a few people e-mailing me asking when I'm going to get the sound clips up that I promised, but so far the one time I started recording I got completely side-tracked when I stumbled upon a perfect copy of Prince's lead tone from the late '80s and I spent two hours pissing everyone off playing Purple Rain over and over and singing in a terrible high-pitched voice. Kinda forgot about recording anything proper.

Actually, it's gotten me in trouble. I leant it to a friend to play a gig and I forgot to mention that it's 300w and her single-speaker cab that is only rated to take 75w wasn't a suitable match. She assumed that since it was a solid state amp that it would be quieter than the valve amps she's used to. She turned it up almost full right away, everything got ****ed. I made the mistake of laughing (once the ringing in our ears had stopped) and now I'm paying for a new cab.

One day I'll grow up, stop dicking around and do something useful and productive with my time. One day.
Haha, that sounds pretty funny. Minus the having to pay for a cab part.

Well hey, as long as life's good, there's no need to change anything.

I mean, we only live once. There's no sense in doing anything that's not enjoyable.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Which is exactly why I wonder why the hell I keep coming on here
Cheers for the replies, so I think I will skip the pickup upgrade for now, since its not gona be a big improvement.

Maybe look into a new amp, but being in NZ we have pretty average selection and high prices haha