So, I've been thinking of learning bass but I'm not so sure.

I have been playing guitar for 2 and a half years and
I want to make sure that if I do take up bass, that I don't lose interest in either.

If I were to start and get a bass what bass and what amp would be good to start? My favorite genres are classic rock, hard rock, some metal and some funk. Some of my favorite basslines
are never gonna stop by rob zombie and fantastic voyage by lakeside, right now I can't think of others but I can try to find more if needed.

Im also concerned that I won't pick up the right hand technique(im right handed).

Thanks for any nice answers.
Quote by The Silent Fool
^ a winner we have.
Learn to finger pick and make sure not to think of it as a 'big guitar with four string'. It's a separate instrument and you should treat it as such.
Learning to finger pick will help you define the two, but you should learn with a pick as well.
When finger picking on a string other than the lowest how do you mute the lowest? I have no problem with finger picking the lowest(E?). I'm thinking the strings low to high I standard are EADG but Im not sure.
Quote by The Silent Fool
^ a winner we have.
How would you avoid hitting the E?
Quote by The Silent Fool
^ a winner we have.
Well, how are you hitting E? The only times I end up accidentally hitting it are when I hit A really hard and my finger just comes down and hits E because it is the next string. I usually just move up my thumb from the pup to the lowest string I'm not playing on. You can also mute it by using part of your left hand to just slightly touch the E string.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I'm not sure the only times I've gotten to try a bass
is at a local music shop I'm just interested in playing and wondeing what kind of stuff i would have to do.
Quote by The Silent Fool
^ a winner we have.
you will never lose interest in your guitar. They are completely different instuments that are played completely different. Also you wil magically become more infatuated with funk. Trust me, it happens to all of us.
no sir away a papaya war is on
So does anyone have any reading material to educate about me in the ways of bass playing? Also what are the differences between J basses and P basses, which are more versitile sounding?
Quote by The Silent Fool
^ a winner we have.
Last edited by Scarr77 at Jul 25, 2010,
Quote by Scarr77
So does anyone have any reading material to educate about me in the ways of bass playing? Also what are the differences between J basses and P basses, which are more versitile sounding?

Mainly the width of the neck, but also the pick-ups and the shape of the body a bit.

Since you're coming from guitar you'll probably prefer the thinner neck of the J-bass (which is definitely not just for jazz :p)

Personally, although I started out on bass, I went with the Jazz bass anyway since it felt more comfortable to me. Of course your hand might be bigger than mine and therefore you might prefer the P-bass, basically, make sure you try both out in the store!
My gear:
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass
Fender Rumble 15
What are some of the decent quality basses that don't go over probably 300 or so?
Quote by The Silent Fool
^ a winner we have.
You're best bet would be a squier, basically fenders, but made in Indonesia with cheaper parts.
My gear:
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass
Fender Rumble 15
Squires (Vintage Modified or Classic Vibes), Peaveys, and some Ibbys all get pretty good reception among players.
I pride myself on my humility.
Ibanez soundgear, if your just looking to start you can get a starter kit at guitar center or order one or whatever.

Check this out -
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-IJXB190-Electric-Bass-Jumpstart-Pack?sku=519527
$300 and it's everything you need to get started.
Random off brand P Bass (Fretless)
SR 485 Sound gear 5 string bass
60's Crown violin bass
Rogue RA-100D Acoustic Guitar
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
check studybass.com for really good begginer lesson that are free. neck wise a p basses is closer to a les pual and a jazz is more straty. but you should try them both out and see how they feel to see for yourself. squire VM jazz is where its at. one of those is seriously my next bass purchase.
no sir away a papaya war is on