Page 1 of 2
I'm looking to buy a new guitar, and I hoped I could get some help to narrow down my choices. MY band and I play a mixture of 90s post-grunge and regular old grunge, mixed with some Sunny Day Real Estate kinda stuff. Given Gibson's crappy QC as of late, I'm hoping to avoid them. I'm basically looking for something that can handle that hi-gain kinda bass-heavy tone like Kim Thayil or Gavin Rossdale, but still have really nice cleans for the softer parts.

My budget is $700, and I'm working with a Fender Bassman 4x10 and a Russian Big Muff.

Oh, and no radical shapes. I'm looking to make music, not put on a show of theatrics

Thanks for any help
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
try something from ltd, esp's budget line. most of their stuff is for high-gain metal, but models like their ec 401 or 1000 come with seymour duncan pickups. it's basically a les paul shape, but made a bit more comfortable to play.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Quote by carlos_almighty
try something from ltd, esp's budget line. most of their stuff is for high-gain metal, but models like their ec 401 or 1000 come with seymour duncan pickups. it's basically a les paul shape, but made a bit more comfortable to play.

I just sold my EC-401, so I'm not too eager to go right back to them just yet

Quote by jpcl
Since your trying to avoid Gibson's, and by taking into account your music style, I guess you can't go wrong with a strat model:
http://www.musicstore.com/en_EN/EUR/Guitars/ST-models/Fender-Classic-50s-Stratocaster-MN-2-Tone-Sunburst-Gigbag/art-GIT0000019-006

Surely would love to own this particular model. *.*

PS: Incase the link I gave shows up in euros, 569 euros = 735$.

As hot as I run my amp with the Big Muff, a Strat would just screech like all hell, plus it's really trebley. I play rhythm, so I'm looking for a bass-heavy guitar.

maybe try a prs se?
or maybe a strat with a humbucker in the bridge, to avoid the hum.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Quote by carlos_almighty
maybe try a prs se?
or maybe a strat with a humbucker in the bridge, to avoid the hum.

I'll try out a few PRSs to see. I don't really dig Strats too much. Just not my style, y'know?

How are the non-active Ibanez ART guitars??

Ah I see. Well you could go for an Epiphone Elitist '61 SG Standard, that's much more into your style then, now that I've seen the type of grunge your into.

High-end Epiphone's get a lot of praise on the contrary of the lower-mid end rage.

I think I remember checking out once a review here on UG on that guitar, and it getting a rating between 9-10. And it's within the budget.

PS: The Elitest SG model is considered to be a better guitar then the Gibson SG Special, so if you agree/believe in that, you are pretty much garanteed to get a good guitar.
Last edited by jpcl at Jul 25, 2010,
Quote by jpcl
Ah I see. Well you could go for an Epiphone Elitist '61 SG Standard, that's much more into your style then, now that I've seen the type of grunge your into.

High-end Epiphone's get a lot of praise on the contrary of the lower-mid end rage.

I think I remember checking out once a review here on UG on that guitar, and it getting a rating between 9-10. And it's within the budget.

PS: The Elitest SG model is considered to be a better guitar then the Gibson SG Special, so if you agree/believe in that, you are pretty much garanteed to get a good guitar.

Is the special the one with the P90s? Because my friend has that guitar, and he really likes it, though it doesn't seem to hold up well to my kinda stuff

Nop, neither the Gibson SG Special or the Epi Elitist use P90's.
If I'm not mistaken the Gibson SG Special uses 498T + 490R or something like that, while the Epiphone uses 50SR and 60ST.

The P90's are single-coils, so I'm not suprised you didn't quite like them since you did say you looking for a more heavy-bassy tone.
Last edited by jpcl at Jul 25, 2010,
Get a fender jaguar or jazzmaster. Through your big muff they will get a great grungey tone
Yeah I also thought of the Jaguar, though since he then replied that he didn't really did strat's I kinda thought it was more of a global thing about Fender's, as in they are always more Blues/Jazz pointed then Heavy rock.
Quote by jpcl
Nop, neither the Gibson SG Special or the Epi Elitist use P90's.
If I'm not mistaken the Gibson SG Special uses 498T + 490R or something like that, while the Epiphone uses 50SR and 60ST.

The P90's are single-coils, so I'm not suprised you didn't quite like them since you did say you looking for a more heavy-bassy tone.

Oh, I was thinking of the Classic. My bad.

Quote by jpcl
Yeah I also thought of the Jaguar, though since he then replied that he didn't really did strat's I kinda thought it was more of a global thing about Fender's, as in they are always more Blues/Jazz pointed then Heavy rock.

It's mainly just strats, but I'd like to avoid matching the brands for amp and guitar, but, if the Jag/Jazz is that best option, then I'll go with it. Though, I don't like all the knobs and switches and shit on the Jaguar. I know the Squier VM Jag is just a basic master volume and tone, so that might work, but I'm unsure about the quality.

Quote by LoudLove5150
Oh, I was thinking of the Classic. My bad.

It's mainly just strats, but I'd like to avoid matching the brands for amp and guitar, but, if the Jag/Jazz is that best option, then I'll go with it. Though, I don't like all the knobs and switches and shit on the Jaguar. I know the Squier VM Jag is just a basic master volume and tone, so that might work, but I'm unsure about the quality.

Hmm...Between the two guitars, according to the band you gave us, it's really a close call, but a small margin I think the SG might suit you better, but like I said, by a very small margin.

It would help though with a bit more music-style info, as in, more songs you play, or even if your more of a Nirvana-grunge fan type of sound or Soundgarden-grunge fan type of sound.
Quote by jpcl
Hmm...Between the two guitars, according to the band you gave us, it's really a close call, but a small margin I think the SG might suit you better, but like I said, by a very small margin.

It would help though with a bit more music-style info, as in, more songs you play, or even if your more of a Nirvana-grunge fan type of sound or Soundgarden-grunge fan type of sound.

Soundgarden, definitely, with a touch of the Toadies.

Since your definatly going to be wondering around with the more heavy grunge then, I'd definatly say that the SG would be more ideal.

Note also that SG's are extremely versatile, since I am a Nirvana fan and I'll admit that I can get a better Nirvana sound out of a Strat then a SG, but my SG can sure make a very close sound to is.
Quote by jpcl
Since your definatly going to be wondering around with the more heavy grunge then, I'd definatly say that the SG would be more ideal.

Note also that SG's are extremely versatile, since I am a Nirvana fan and I'll admit that I can get a better Nirvana sound out of a Strat then a SG, but my SG can sure make a very close sound to is.

I'll look into the SGs. Thanks Anything else I ought to keep an eye out for?

Actually yeah, buy a Theremin, that'll blow away any guitar! *.*
Quote by jpcl
Actually yeah, buy a Theremin, that'll blow away any guitar! *.*

How about this... grunge on a sitar

Uhm, also, I need something that can handle Drop C#. Basically, it's Drop D a half step down.

Quote by LoudLove5150
Try reading the thread before you say /thread with a suggestion that I already turned down

it will still fit that sound best. kurt or not that guitar works for shitty grunge tone.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by Skagasm
it will still fit that sound best. kurt or not that guitar works for shitty grunge tone.

Regardless, I don't like having to deal with 8 knobs to just get a sound out of the thing. And who said grunge has shitty tone? Half the 90s rock bands wouldn't be around were it not for Soundgarden

Lmao. =P

Well mate, I can help much there. I have tried out quite a nice amount and variety of guitars, although I've only ever played guitars in different tunings that actually belonged to me, and I've only actually owned two guitars so far, which is a Squier strat (kinda funky since I'm a lefty, and the Squier wasn't for lefty's so had to switch the strings around making me feel like Jimi Hendrix =P) and my current main guitar, which is the Vintage LVS6 (or just VS6 for non-lefty's) and I guess the only feedback I can give is that my Squier didn't handle it all that well. Although I haven't encountered any problems in my SG.
I've done all kinds of tuning for it, since, as you know, I'm a Led Zep fan, and there's some songs that require some weird tuning's like for the song: When the Levee Breaks.
It wasn't perfect I must admit, and in a scale from 1-10, it wouldn't get a 10, but I'd either give it a high 8 or a 9.
Quote by jpcl
Lmao. =P

Well mate, I can help much there. I have tried out quite a nice amount and variety of guitars, although I've only ever played guitars in different tunings that actually belonged to me, and I've only actually owned two guitars so far, which is a Squier strat (kinda funky since I'm a lefty, and the Squier wasn't for lefty's so had to switch the strings around making me feel like Jimi Hendrix =P) and my current main guitar, which is the Vintage LVS6 (or just VS6 for non-lefty's) and I guess the only feedback I can give is that my Squier didn't handle it all that well. Although I haven't encountered any problems in my SG.
I've done all kinds of tuning for it, since, as you know, I'm a Led Zep fan, and there's some songs that require some weird tuning's like for the song: When the Levee Breaks.
It wasn't perfect I must admit, and in a scale from 1-10, it wouldn't get a 10, but I'd either give it a high 8 or a 9.

Very cool. I mean, I can get thicker strings and set up the guitar for it, but some guitars just can't handle lower tunings, with pickups and all.

Yeah, I know what you mean. =)
Obviously it's just a guess, but I think an elitist shouldn't have that problem since mine didn't either.
Especially since the stock strings on my SG aren't that great. Wouldn't consider them crap either, but I instantly noticed a difference when I tore one of my strings will playing and then added a new string.
I'm always anxious to use my B string, since it's only one that's not the stock one and it feels much better. =)
Quote by 5150rando
Hahah people with 5150 in their name FTW

Quote by jpcl
Yeah, I know what you mean. =)
Obviously it's just a guess, but I think an elitist shouldn't have that problem since mine didn't either.
Especially since the stock strings on my SG aren't that great. Wouldn't consider them crap either, but I instantly noticed a difference when I tore one of my strings will playing and then added a new string.
I'm always anxious to use my B string, since it's only one that's not the stock one and it feels much better. =)

I always immediately switch out the strings when I buy a new guitar. Dean Markley Blue Steel 11-52, with the 52 swapped out for a 56.

I could have done that too, but then I'd instantly lose that "stockness" of the guitar without having the chance to truly experience the guitar how it was made. =P
Quote by carlos_almighty

seymore duncans? I've only seen ltd's with EMG's.
Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
seymore duncans? I've only seen ltd's with EMG's.

LTD EC-401VF comes with the JB/59 combo.

Quote by Sledgeman
I think you should check out Ibanez Darkstone http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-DN500K

A really nice looking and sounding guitar.

It's nice, but it reminds me too much of the Halo SATYR, which I hate with a passion

Last edited by LoudLove5150 at Jul 26, 2010,
Quote by LoudLove5150
Regardless, I don't like having to deal with 8 knobs to just get a sound out of the thing. And who said grunge has shitty tone? Half the 90s rock bands wouldn't be around were it not for Soundgarden

yeah having 8 knobs to shape your tone is such a bad thing
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

The man just wants simplicity. There's nothing wrong with having 8 knobs, but there's also nothing wrong with not wanting it.

Besides, forget about the Humbucking Jaguar since it's priced at 1100$, and he already stated in the first post that his budget is 700$, which is quite a gap. So once again, your not being that helpful.
I could have sworn the price tag where 799$ is now, it was 1099$, but oh well, my bad I guess. Still, my point stands, especially since I don't need to insult or call names even in an actual guitar-discussing forum, lol. Talk about nerd rage...
what point? that it cost to much money? cause that point no longer stands. dont mean to call names just double check your facts
roland AC90

Page 1 of 2