Hey guys. I've got a highway one stratocaster thats squeals like a bitch when i put distortion on with any more then a quarter gain on my marshall jvm 100. im pretty sure its not the amp, as i dont have this problem with my other guitars. the problem exists on all three pickups, so i don't think the pickups would be the problem. any help would be greatly appreciated, as i am stuck using my squire until the problem is fixed

Thanks
Aaron
Perhaps your pickups are needing replaced. If there single coils and cheap factory ones, then yeah, probably them if you are sure it isn't the amp. Either get them replaced or just get a new guitar.

Edit: You should also check inside the guitar to see if the electonics are wired and soldered correctly. This happened to my Les paul and a wire wasn't soldered. Explained why there was no output on the bridge pickup.
Last edited by zakarai at Jul 25, 2010,
Sounds like feedback, keep the strings muted at all times if you arnt using them. If youre doing this then try lowering the pickup away from the strings.
Gear:

Charvel So-Cal Style 1 HH
Jackson Pro Series RR24M
Dean Dave Mustaine Signature VMNT

JCM 2000 TSL 100
Quote by Spitty33
Sounds like feedback, keep the strings muted at all times if you arnt using them. If youre doing this then try lowering the pickup away from the strings.

How can it be feedback when squellings produced with a quatre gain on a JVM100? Must be the amp or the pickups but the dude claims it's the pickups.
pick ups are pretty low... the pick ups are standard HW1 single coils. i guess they could be at fault, but the chances of them all having the same fault are pretty low... especially on an american strat. i have a crappy $400 strat copy that doesnt have this problem on my amp... its doing my head in. lol
There further away the pickups, the less sound you get (no sound at all) closer they are, (not sure) i think the noise will increase hugely and alot of hum and slightest hit will make a sound.
i might swap the pickups with one of the other guitars... that will tell me if its the pickups or not, cause i'm almost 100% certain its not the amp