Page 1 of 2
So i've saved up about $500 and i'm looking for a good tube amp as you guys suggested . I want to get rid of the nasty sound of my Marshall MG and let my Gibson Les Paul shine like it should. I play from Children of Bodom to the Big 4 (Metallica Anthrax Slayer Megadeth) to Led Zeppelin.
My Current Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Silvertone SRK1
Marshall MG15FX

My Choices
Mesa Boogie F-50 Used for $599 (Out of price range)
Peavey 6505+ $599 (Out of price range)
Peavey Valveking 112 $419
Bugera V55 $449
Note: Amps that are out of price range i will save more money on
Jet City JCA20 with a boost would work nicely if you don't need cleans. If you do need cleans and don't want to futz with a boost you could wait until the JCA50 combo comes out or get the JCA50 head and a cheap 2X12. The 50 will be out of budget though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by davidswigert
Bugera. Those amps are incredible. So much versatility

Do not get a Bugera! I repeat DO NOT get a Bugera!

They may be good for the first day, first week, first month, if your reallllllllyyyyyyy lucky half a year but after that the break. buttom line: Bugera= goodish tone, terrible reliability.
Quote by acdcthunder178

They may be good for the first day, first week, first month, if your reallllllllyyyyyyy lucky half a year but after that the break. buttom line: Bugera= goodish tone, terrible reliability.

Do tell! A UG member has recently posted about how his Bugera has been with him for 4 YEARS and 4 HUNDRED gigs! He had an early model, and it STILL survived all the first run issues. Hell, his ORIGINAL tubes lasted 4 years!

Reliability issues have been solved. They are as reliable as any other amp. The main issue was a simple plastic disconnect plug. Even when it fails, the amp is an easy repair job...and they don't use that clip anymore.

GODish tone, GREAT price AND reliability!
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
The ValveKing can do what you want.

I don't think you'd like the 6505 for what you listed. Too much gain, and good luck playing Led Zep through a 6505. That'd actually be pretty funny.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Vinson
Do tell! A UG member has recently posted about how his Bugera has been with him for 4 YEARS and 4 HUNDRED gigs! He had an early model, and it STILL survived all the first run issues. Hell, his ORIGINAL tubes lasted 4 years!

Reliability issues have been solved. They are as reliable as any other amp. The main issue was a simple plastic disconnect plug. Even when it fails, the amp is an easy repair job...and they don't use that clip anymore.

GODish tone, GREAT price AND reliability!

who cares if it has lasted for him, its broke out of the box for so many people why give them a second chance. support the hard earning company's we all love, otherwise you will be left with nothing but bugera.
I care! A $2 part failed when they were in the early production run. That has NOTHING to do with todays amps.
Marshals fail, Peavys fail, Randalls fail And even Mesa's fail. No amp is immune.

What is a hard earning company? What makes them any more deserving of our money than Bugera? the fact that they charge us twice as much?

Silverrock113...TRY a Bugera, see IF you like it. They are reliable, and have a warranty. BEST bang for the buck in tube amps there is.
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
i also want to say i completely understand what your saying about Bugera, they are cheap tube amps and there plastic clip issue has been fixed. but from my perspective there are a poor mans glory amp. i work hard to make extra money in my life and i cant see the point of spending my hard earned money on a cheap knockoff. i can afford marshalls and peaveys. it would feel like im putting my money into a cheap aldi flatscreen tv were as could get the 120hz sony if i want to be respectful to my hard earned money.

which makes a great point, you dont have to save very long, like 400-600 bucks to get a brand new bugera, which for alot of people is a god send. i can relate, but once you get hard earned money in your life your opinion will change about quality.
If I had to pick any of the ones you listed the Mesa would be my number 1 choice for sure. Once you play a Mesa the v55 and valveking just will not cut it. TBH I find the valvekings to be really really thin unless they are modded.
Quote by mmolteratx
Best bang for your buck eh? Mikey Soldano and David Friedman would like a word with you. http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=74201

They can have as many words as they want with me...I'll put a 6260 up against any 100+watt 2 1/2 channel head they have for $500 or less

@surface54 The Bugeras are inexpensive...not cheap. metal switches and heat vents in place of Peaveys plastic bits. (if comparing to the amp it was "cloned" after). That and the bias adjust and EL34 compatibility, really push it over the top for me.

I simply can't find a reason to spend double the money on a different brand that doesn't sound any better to my ear (actually, I prefer the tone for the Bug anyway...but each ear is different)

I can understand where your coming from, but personally, I don't have thousands to throw at an amp. I'd LOVE a Mesa Road king...but I'll more than likely get a Bugera tri-rec, cab, and a guitar or 2 instead.
Long live bugera.

their tone is leavues and bounds better. I have had no problems with my 333xl and had it for over a year. Im getting another bugera for stereo delays. The tone is unmatched at the price.
Go for bugera... They are just AWESOME

ım gonna get a 333xl-212 soon
Quote by vaca11
Go for bugera... They are just AWESOME

ım gonna get a 333xl-212 soon

Carvin TL60
Ibanez RG370DXL
TheSyle Velcro Fuzz
Line 6 HD500
Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube

---------
Close your eyes, shut out the world, and you will understand. Post-rock/shoegaze/ambient.

Blue Skies and Paign

Like our facebook page!
Quote by Offworld92
The ValveKing can do what you want.

I don't think you'd like the 6505 for what you listed. Too much gain, and good luck playing Led Zep through a 6505. That'd actually be pretty funny.
You know you CAN turn the gain down. If dudes like Brad Whitford and Ted Nugent and Eddie Van Halen can use those amps without too much gain so can the ts. Is it going to sound like Page's tone? No not really but come on neither is a Valve king.
If ur gonna get a Bugera dont get the V55. That's doesn't have enough gain for metal. It's more of a blues/classic rock amp. Get a 333xl/6262/6260 instead.

I also suggest u to check out a Peavey vypyr tube 60 if u want versatility. However, if u will be playing metal most of the time, get the Bugera or the Mesa.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Why do people suggest the hibrid modeler vypyr against amps that are actually good. Any mesa would shit all over a vypyr. Most overrated amp ever, literally would only suggest one to an entry level player.
If you go with the V22 or V55 and want to play metal you will at least need a eq pedal. A tube screamer would also help.

I play CoB, Megadeth, Slayer, etc.... through my V22, but to really get a good thrash metal tone you will need a few extra items. But with those items you make the amp very, very versatile. I can go from Bodom tones to Sparkly clean tones. I love all the diff sounds my bugera can make.

I have had mine since 11-2010 and I have yet to have any issues with mine. I did replace the tubes with some JJ's all around and it made the amp a lot better as far as usable gain and ambient hiss goes. Tone also got less brittle sounding...if that makes sense to you.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
What's with all these ValveKing and Bugera suggestions?! For crying out loud, the Mesa would freakin rape all the other ones! Even if you can't swing for the F-50 a DC with a pedal would do just fine.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at Jul 26, 2010,
Quote by handbanana
If I had to pick any of the ones you listed the Mesa would be my number 1 choice for sure. Once you play a Mesa the v55 and valveking just will not cut it. TBH I find the valvekings to be really really thin unless they are modded.

I agree, I have a valveking 212, and it holds up fine, but during shows when its turned up around 5 it starts to lose some bass.. Mesa would probably be the most versatile, 6505's are awesome, but theres really a ridiculous amount of gain, its hard to get it low enough to have a nice crunch sound
my 5150 has more gain than the 6505 and I actually don't have much of a probably getting a decent crunch out of it. especially on the clean channel with the crunch button. even on the lead channel with the pre gain way down, i get a decent crunchy overdrive. sounds even better with a tubescreamer

but if one more person reccomends a peavey vypyr over a mesa or 6505 i might kill someone. people really need to think about what they're saying before they post
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 26, 2010,
Apparently Bugera hate is the new hip thing to do.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Adam124
Well, yesterday recommending MGs and Spiders was the new hip thing, so I think GG&A is improving or maybe fluctuating in non-retardedness.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Adam124
New? Try since about 2008.
Quote by acdcthunder178

I know everyone has a different experience but what in the blue hell are you going on about? The durability issue has been ancient for a while.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Quote by al112987
New? Try since about 2008.

Nah, Bugera hate is definitely something that comes and goes. Trust me, as someone who is terribly irked by it, I know.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by MortifiedLizard
What's with all these ValveKing and Bugera suggestions?! For crying out loud, the Mesa would freakin rape all the other ones! Even if you can't swing for the F-50 a DC with a pedal would do just fine.

Have you compared the bugera to the mesa. There are some videos that have that comparison in youtube actually. In terms of tones the bugera pulls some things nicer than a dual rectifier, though I admit I prefer the metal chuga chuga out of the mesa. One of this things is the clean with no doubt
Having a 6262 myself, I can vouch that with a good retube (6L6GC retube set w/ Gold-Pin option from Eurotubes makes the tone total sex..) and the bias set a little warm it can do damn near anything quite well. Now.. It's not gonna 'nail' that Zeppelin tone (perhaps with EL34s you'll get closer) but it'll do a decent Zeppelin cover tone and will definitely get you your other metal tones. Only other thing that I can think that needs changing is the speakers which you could put Warehouse Vintage 30 knock-offs (forget the name at the moment) and viola! However.. the Mesa will beat the 6262 like a red-headed step-child if you wanna just do metal metal metal.

On a side note, why all the Bugera hate? The only real crappy things on them are the tubes n' speakers but otherwise it's a damn nice amp to all other Bugera owners here
Quote by Adam124

Or maybe its just the fact that they don't sound all that great, are poorly made, and despite having all of the "reliability issues" fixed, are still unreliable amps.

If you're looking into a budget amp check out Jet City.

Out of the amps mentioned I would say go with the Mesa.
Quote by Kanthras
Single channel...

Then look at the JCA50. There have been absolutely no reports of reliability problems from them which is a huge step up from Bugera. And with oversight by the original designer of the circuit who knows exactly why certain things were done I don't see how Bugera wins.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Or maybe its just the fact that they don't sound all that great, are poorly made, and despite having all of the "reliability issues" fixed, are still unreliable amps.

Out of the amps mentioned I would say go with the Mesa.

Yep, The Bugera hate seems to live on. Seriously..."despite having all of the reliability issues fixed, are still unreliable amps."

So even though it is now completely reliable...it's not reliable? Reliability USED to be the knock on Bugs....everyone loved the tone, but oooo that reliability ain't so good. NOW that, as metalhead stated, ALL of the reliability issues have been fixed, now they somehow don't sound all that great Oh yeah, they are "poorly made" So what is poorly made on them? as mentioned, they use metal parts where the 6505/+ uses plastic.

Get off the anti-Bugera bandwagon...no one likes snobs. Sure, recommend a Mesa to every kid who has $500 for gear. What a great contribution THAT is
or people can just realize that 500 dollars amps aren't going to last forever and just pick the one that fits their needs.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Vinson
What is a hard earning company? What makes them any more deserving of our money than Bugera? the fact that they charge us twice as much?

Why do we pay less for art prints than for the actual piece? Why do we pay less for replicas than for the actual model?

Quote by nyandres
Have you compared the bugera to the mesa. There are some videos that have that comparison in youtube actually. In terms of tones the bugera pulls some things nicer than a dual rectifier, though I admit I prefer the metal chuga chuga out of the mesa. One of this things is the clean with no doubt

Any videos that compare any current production Bugeras to any Mesas are completely useless. Apples and oranges. You may as well compare a 5150 and a Recto, which, I imagine, is not the point that the video's creator is looking to make. Wait until the Mesa copies come out, then the Trirec/Recto and Magician/Mark videos will show you useful information.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Page 1 of 2