i dont have a 6-string bass yet, but for future referance, can i tune 1 to EADGBe? i think 6-string basses are usually tuned BEADGC
Why not get a guitar instead?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32

because you can tune a guitar 1 octave down. think before you post

im sure its possible, im a guitarst so i wouldnt know but if you get some strings that are the right gauges so that they wont break or be to tight you probably could

i dont think thats really common so you might have to mix and match strings.
Quote by Koshman32

It would be a guitar, 1 octave down...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
You could, but you'd need a really low gauge, the gauge for E standard 4 string and... low E and A guitar strings? I don't even know if anyone makes 6 string packs, let alone 5 with such a light gauge.
Do thatt buy mix and match string packs. Don't buy a 6 string pack.
Buy a Heavy Gauge 4 string set and make them your EADG
Buy a heavy (what should be) C string and make it your B string.
Buy the lightest (what should be) C string that you can buy and make it your E string.
you think i could just go to guitar-center or nicholsan's and be like "im trying to tune my bass to E standard, could you help me out with the strings and whatnot?"
Quote by salgala2000
Do thatt buy mix and match string packs. Don't buy a 6 string pack.
Buy a Heavy Gauge 4 string set and make them your EADG
Buy a heavy (what should be) C string and make it your B string.
Buy the lightest (what should be) C string that you can buy and make it your E string.

this sounds like a good plan
Yeah, I was going to say something about the Fender Bass VI
I was going to say that they sell bass strings for EADGBe, but then I realized that it was 30" scale and chances are the bass you use won't be that short. I'm sure you could mix some strings and find something that would work.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
on second thought, maybe i could do EADGBC? i mean on a bass it doesnt look like there's much reason for a low and high E string. so I think ill do what salgala said except for the C string
Curiously, what is the point of having a B and a C string? They are one semitone apart. You might as well just do EADGC if you were to go that route.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
Curiously, what is the point of having a B and a C string? They are one semitone apart. You might as well just do EADGC if you were to go that route.

This.

and lol
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Jul 25, 2010,
Quote by lordofthefood1

oh yeah, i guess so...
or maybe I should do...BEADGC? lol
no ill do the E standard, EADGBe
Quote by Koshman32

I don't see why everyone is bagging on this idea...

To tune a bass to EADGbe would be stupid because the only reason guitars are tuned that way is for chords. I don't know if you've noticed but (guitar) chords aren't that great on bass...
Random off brand P Bass (Fretless)
SR 485 Sound gear 5 string bass
60's Crown violin bass
Rogue RA-100D Acoustic Guitar
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Quote by EBass

To tune a bass to EADGbe would be stupid because the only reason guitars are tuned that way is for chords. I don't know if you've noticed but (guitar) chords aren't that great on bass...

then you're simply doing it wrong
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by EBass

i actually do a little chord playing, above the 12th fret, it sounds pretty sick. and even for just the root notes, there are some chords with roots on the higher strings, it makes it easier for those kind of songs to have a bass tuned this way. also, for people used to playing lead guitar, its easier to improvise in this tuning, and i am used to shredding on a normally tuned guitar.
and besides, whats the point of BEADGC anyway? all i can think is that the C (which i assume to be middle C) gives easy access to the treble clef, higher pitch melodies, but a B right below that would work pretty well too, right? and whats with that low B, when does that come in handy?
Quote by gilly_90
then you're simply doing it wrong

In what way?
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Quote by EBass
In what way?

bass chords are becoming more popular lately, he's saying that if you're chords dont sound good you're doing something wrong. make triads or power chords above the 12th fret and push down the strings as hard as possible, the right hand technique is kind of debatable, its not an established technique you'll learn from any bass teacher.
Quote by TMVATDI
i actually do a little chord playing, above the 12th fret, it sounds pretty sick. and even for just the root notes, there are some chords with roots on the higher strings, it makes it easier for those kind of songs to have a bass tuned this way. also, for people used to playing lead guitar, its easier to improvise in this tuning, and i am used to shredding on a normally tuned guitar.
and besides, whats the point of BEADGC anyway? all i can think is that the C (which i assume to be middle C) gives easy access to the treble clef, higher pitch melodies, but a B right below that would work pretty well too, right? and whats with that low B, when does that come in handy?

It's tuned like that because since the days of upright bass it was tuned in 4ths EADG, then after a bunch of whatever we had 5 strings and then 6 strings, but standard tuning has always been in 4ths (BEADG, BEADGC, even F#BEADG).

I guess if you want to tune it like that go ahead it's your bass and you can do whatever with it, but you might have to custom order some strings tho.
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Quote by EBass
In what way?

you obviously don't treat chords the same as if you were playing guitar, mud will ensue.
But there are several ways of making the most of chords and chord shapes while playing bass.
Possibly the most obvious one would be to play the full 5 or 6 string chords further up the neck, where you get closer to or even into the guitar range, it gives an interesting effect.
You also have all of the open chord shapes towards the lower end of the neck that you cah pick 2 or 3 notes from and play the as double stops or harmonise with yourselfn as well as playing out the full chord as an arpeggio.
Chording on a bass in done in (probably) most genres at some time, i know I use it a bit, and it can be really effective at creating unique sounds and really emphasising certain parts of a song/riff etc. when used intelligently.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Quote by EBass
It's tuned like that because since the days of upright bass it was tuned in 4ths EADG, then after a bunch of whatever we had 5 strings and then 6 strings, but standard tuning has always been in 4ths (BEADG, BEADGC, even F#BEADG).

I guess if you want to tune it like that go ahead it's your bass and you can do whatever with it, but you might have to custom order some strings tho.

im gonna mix and match strings like salgala said. so u gonna try chords? they're fun !
Quote by TMVATDI
im gonna mix and match strings like salgala said. so u gonna try chords? they're fun !

Ya I guess, but I'll go ahead and do it in standard .

I've never been against chords on bass, just against full 5/6 string guitar chords on bass.
60's Crown violin bass
-
Peavey TNT 115 Bass Amp
Bass Big Muff pi
Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah
Quote by EBass
Ya I guess, but I'll go ahead and do it in standard .

I've never been against chords on bass, just against full 5/6 string guitar chords on bass.

well i still only have a 4-string, this was kind of a "for future reference" thread, because someday when im amazing ill get a fretless 6 string lol. my progressive rock bass book has a load of movable shapes for a load of chords (on 4 strings), ive been using them a lot lately.

hey gilly, this might be a stupid question, but what exactly is a double stop? i keep hearing that phrase when people are talking abt chords, i just dont get it
It's two notes being played at the same time by the same instrument so that they harmonise. It's not quite a chord, it's more like a cut-down version of one.
Think of a two-string power chord: perfect example.

or a

x

octave.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by gilly_90
It's two notes being played at the same time by the same instrument so that they harmonise. It's not quite a chord, it's more like a cut-down version of one.
Think of a two-string power chord: perfect example.

or a

x

octave.

oh, thats a lot simpler than i thought it would be, thanks
Quote by TMVATDI
and whats with that low B, when does that come in handy?

To play lower than the E, it's a bass after all, it's all about the low It's also handy to have as you don't really need to drop tune. You use it just to get more (lower) notes... It's just an all round useful string to have
Quote by SuperMaximo93
To play lower than the E, it's a bass after all, it's all about the low It's also handy to have as you don't really need to drop tune. You use it just to get more (lower) notes... It's just an all round useful string to have

lol i guess i wasnt really thinking abt it like that
Quote by SuperMaximo93

The low B is much more useful for economy of motion- more notes in a hand position. And I still downtune my E to D to play stuff with heavy pedalling, like Lamb of God, even though I have the D on the low B.
Bass chords are cool

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by rickyj
because you can tune a guitar 1 octave down. think before you post

Wow, you could not have made a typing error at a worse time there.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Whats with all the posts. Yes you can. Get a 6 string set of strings and tune it EADGBe. Not that hard. Why couldnt you? The answer seems obvious. Yes
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Whats with all the posts. Yes you can. Get a 6 string set of strings and tune it EADGBe. Not that hard. Why couldnt you? The answer seems obvious. Yes

we figured it out then had conversations abt strings and why its necesary to tune a bass this way
get a 7striung bass pack from conklin (BEADGCF) throw away the B and down tune the C and F a semitone.
no sir away a papaya war is on