Poll: Transcribing vs. Tabs
Poll Options
View poll results: Transcribing vs. Tabs
Transcribing
17 55%
Tabs
14 45%
Voters: 31.
What are the advantages of figuring out songs on your own versus looking at tabs?
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
You play them the wrong way.

I'd feel better knowing that i learned a whole song by ear instead of reading a tab though
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Jul 25, 2010,
Sense of accomplishment.
Playing the song in the most familiar way to you.

For looking at tabs, it's faster, and can be more accurate.
Transcribing because of Ear training.

I don't look up tabs. The only time I use them is when I'm writing something and I need to put something down quickly.
Balls.
You train your ears.

EDIT: What I do is that I look at tabs and then either look for a concert where the song is being played and try to get a rhythm motion started.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Last edited by rock.freak667 at Jul 25, 2010,
I found once you get good at transcribing, you can find a lot of mistakes in tabs you wouldn't have noticed otherwise. But tabs are good if you're feeling lazy
1989 Fender MIA Strat Ultra
2006 Fender Standard Strat
1985 MIJ Fender Telecaster
Martin SPD-16R

Fender Blues Deluxe

Fulltone OCD :
EH Memory Man
Xotic RC Booster
Boss RC-20XL(looper)
Wait wait, i do both, where is the option for that that TS!

i look at tabs, see how they would play it (get a grasp of how it would be played), then if its any good, ill alter it to how i think it should be played, if its shit ill go by ear.
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Jul 25, 2010,
Yep. Training your ears and increasing your focus in a musical capacity.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Figuring out songs by yourself really helps develop your ear. Using tabs is faster and can be more accurate. I do both, depending on the difficulty of the song.
Transcribing trains your ears, makes it easier to play what you hear in your head, and by transcribing a song you learn it much more thoroughly than if you just study the tab.
I like to do both, and it also depends on the complexity of a song. I often learn it my way, and then double check the tabs to make sure. It's pretty hard to pick up certain idosyncracies and fills that certain guitar players do (such as a flurry of fast notes or a palm mute you didn't notice, etc) especially live, so if you want it to sound just like the song then look at the tabs.

They each have their advantages though, and I don't see how it would be effective to just stick to one or the other. When people request songs I haven't heard/ never played, I just ask for 5 minutes with the song and play something similar.
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
Well, with tabs you're more likely to learn how to play it correctly (although I personally think sheet music is better). Learning how to play things on your own helps develop your ear, and if you ever do music in school or college, that'll make ear training much easier.
If you figure it out yourself, it's most likely a little bit wrong, but I think that's a good thing. That way, when you play it, you have your own sound in the song, unless the mistake is just bad, but I think you get the point.
My Gear
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe
Behringer GM108
Austin Boot-Heel Cutaway
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Peavey Valveking 112

Quote by mikeman
Everyone can relate to food or taking dumps but nobody sings about it.
Even some highly rated tabs are wrong. I realised that years ago. So I just learn stuff by ear. It's much more rewarding and fun (and frustrating! - rewind, rewind, rewind), I feel.
I always try songs be ear, then I compare them to tabs to see how correct I am.

I'm never really correct.
BLANKBLANK
I never learn songs by ear. The songs I like to learn are just too long and too difficult to pick up without tabs or sheets.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by cap'n curry
If you figure it out yourself, it's most likely a little bit wrong, but I think that's a good thing. That way, when you play it, you have your own sound in the song, unless the mistake is just bad, but I think you get the point.

whats the difference between "you" figuring it out "yourself" and another person figuring it out, and posting it on the internet, you wont properly know the REAL way to play it unless you watch, or get taught by the actual artist
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
i've just started transcribing but i get alot more out of doing it by ear than reading it off of paper or the computer screen
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated