Poll: Tweaker cab or Avatar with celestion golds?
Poll Options
View poll results: Tweaker cab or Avatar with celestion golds?
Tweaker cab- $300
3 43%
Avatar 110 with celestion alnico gold's- $450
4 57%
Voters: 7.
After creating two threads ive narrowed down the amp head im going to get to the Egnater Tweaker. Now just remains two things that i was hoping you could help me with.
1. I want to get either an avatar 110 cab with celestion golds or the tweaker cab. If i get the tweaker one I save about $150 so do you think the avatar is worth the little bit more cash? And if you choose avatar should i get the traditional or vintage and whats the difference between the two?
2. I also want a good pedal for metal and stuff, i was looking at the ibanez tube screamer TS808 but im not sure. I'm going to buy used so price doesnt really matter. Which one would you recommend.

Thanks all for all the help.
Last edited by acdcthunder178 at Jul 25, 2010,
1. Why do you want a 1X10?
2. You can use any octal tubes with no biasing or mods. EL84s will not fit, they probably said EL34s which will fit.
3. The Ibanez TS7 is just as good when used as a boost. Save the $140.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
**** 84s. WAAAAAY too smooth. 84s don't fit anyways, they're not octal. But just fyi, EL84s aren't as punchy or aggressive a tube as the 34s are.

I just put JJ EL34s in mine, and it pulls off all of the Brit rock/classic rock/Brit voiced tones pretty amazingly.

I second the TS7. Personally, I'd get the combo and an extension cab. The combo comes with a really nice speaker, and has an extension speaker out jack. Same as a speaker jack on a head. That gives you the option of having a head/cab setup, but if you are just going to jam with a buddy, you don't need to take the head and cab, just the combo.

For the record, I own the combo, but have played the head too.

And go for a 1x12. This thing needs some bass. I run the old Bluesbreaker settings on mine. Bass and mids at ten, treble at 9 o'clock.

EDIT: Matt is right. The Tweaker will take 6V6, 6L6, EL34, KT77.... bacsically any octal tube that will fit in the amp.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Jul 25, 2010,
my tweaker head is coming wednesday (thank god becsuse i have been waiting three months), i remember at the store i really liked the cabinet that was matched with the head. i liked that better than the rebel cab and better than a orange cab with vintage 30's.

i really think they did a great at egnater matching the speaker and cabinet design to the amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
my tweaker head is coming wednesday (thank god becsuse i have been waiting three months), i remember at the store i really liked the cabinet that was matched with the head. i liked that better than the rebel cab and better than a orange cab with vintage 30's.

i really think they did a great at egnater matching the speaker and cabinet design to the amp.

Wait'll you put some EL34s in there.
--

--
My tweaker very boomy. More so on the uk setting then lessens on the ac side. Very odd. Would the el34s at more bite and gain in the tweaker? Or is a tung sol in the v1 spot a better option?
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
Quote by mmolteratx
1. Why do you want a 1X10?
2. You can use any octal tubes with no biasing or mods. EL84s will not fit, they probably said EL34s which will fit.
3. The Ibanez TS7 is just as good when used as a boost. Save the $140.

Whats wrong with a 110 cab? should I get a used 112 or 212 instead?

Thanks all for your replys!
I use a 1x10 now and it's nice but it limits the sonic range of the amp. A 12" speaker will sound better and have more low end.

Anyone knowledgable on amps can you let me know if by still having a 1x10 and the tweaker being so boomy if it should be cause of concern? Did I get s bad amp or just a bad set of tubes?
The greenie in the tweaker cab matches nicely with the amp imo. i use the same speaker in a orange ppc112 closed back cab.

i found that a EH 12ax7 in v1 cleared things up a bit. i also use a jj12ax7 in the PI (v3).

so far my favorite tubes in it are the el34s. i'm going for classic rock to VH tones from it. it's delivering quite nicely.

i've also played it through a vintage 30, which wasn't as nice as the greenie imo.

used cabs can be found cheap, i've seen avatar 212s for $250-300 used.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
their having a sale on 212s right now. you can get one with 2 v30s for 400 shipped.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Hey Gregs I play a lot of van halen and I feel the el34 may add the finishing touch on the tone I'm shooting after. How dies it effect the cleans though? Anything significant ?
Greg: Imma have to go pick those up... I really like how many things you can change with this amp.

I really like the GH12-30 VS in the combo. Matches great with the cab. Only complaint I have about that speaker is that it loses a ton of treble at low volumes. You really got to get that thing working.

I'm thinking about switching it out for a Greenie, but I've also been looking into Scumbacks.

SSMatt: I was in Hampton Roads like 3 days ago . The ELs definitely got rid of some of that boom. I had the same problem with the 6V6s. Had a lot of "whom" going on with it.
--

--
Sick! Great news I'll order some soon. Any recommendations? I love not having to bias this stuff! A little electrical contact cleaner and boom!

Stratman where are you from? Or what were you doing in this sad excuse of a town
Quote by sixstringedmatt
Hey Gregs I play a lot of van halen and I feel the el34 may add the finishing touch on the tone I'm shooting after. How dies it effect the cleans though? Anything significant ?

the cleans are still nice, it just doesn't have as much headroom as it has with 6L6s. more than the 6v6s though.

early VH-esque tones can be had on the clean channel with the gain dimed. i'm normally not a fan of diming anything but it gets there. (also i cheat and use a tad of reverb).

Quote by stratman_13
Greg: Imma have to go pick those up... I really like how many things you can change with this amp.

I really like the GH12-30 VS in the combo. Matches great with the cab. Only complaint I have about that speaker is that it loses a ton of treble at low volumes. You really got to get that thing working.

I'm thinking about switching it out for a Greenie, but I've also been looking into Scumbacks.

i don't have a treble loss issue at low volumes. i mostly play it at low volumes but crank it up too. i haven't tried the scumbacks so i can't really comment there.
Gregs I always go hot for vh. If you don't mind would you share your settings? On using a strat with s custom custom so tonally the guitars there. Never thought to dime it on clean it would be interesting to see what your settings are!
i'm always twisting stuff, lemme try one.

ok, vintage, USA, treb 3:00, mids noon, bass noon, gain dimed, hot, bright, deep. master has to be up there a bit. not spot on by any means but close.
i'm using underwound nailbombs, which are dark btw.

switch to hot, bring the gain to 3:00, and it's closer to the modern vh tone. leave the other knobbies the same.
What kinda volume we talking here? And thanks!

Moneys tight as I am going to GWU for graduate studies. Is it worth getting the el34s over better preamp tunes or v.v.?
Quote by sixstringedmatt
What kinda volume we talking here? And thanks!

Moneys tight as I am going to GWU for graduate studies. Is it worth getting the el34s over better preamp tunes or v.v.?

hey i answered this in the egnater thread. i didn't want to spam this guys speaker thread.

More people post speaker rec's for the TS. kthxbai