EDIT: You guys wanted pics of the final finish. Well here they are.
Yes that actually stands for something! Its a late guitar build completion day for me!

Late because I had planned on making a thread on this when I was done, but unfortunately got banned.

I didn't put this in GB&C because this isn't really me describing the build process step by step. More so a review on the finished product.

Anyways, enough jib jab, here we go.

I took the body of a Jackson DK2S (the one with the sustainer, yum ) and the neck of a DXMG. I chose the DXMG because I wanted reverse headstock with regular sharkies. And for a low end guitar, Jackson made a quality neck complete with binding.

Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Last edited by itchy guitar at Oct 18, 2010,
Stuck in an OFR, a Bareknuckle Holy Diver, and even installed a killswitch.

I absolutely LOVE IT. I'm very picky when it comes to aesthetics and custom shop isn't exactly within my budget so making parts mutts is what I prefer.

The body is exactly what you would expect. Alder, run of the mill Dinky. Which is great. The neck is the same dimiensions as my previous Jackson. Nice and thin. Easy to go fast and comfortable too!

The OFR is light years ahead of the licensed trem on my last Jackson. I have yet to take off the locking bolts on the neck side to tune.

The killswitch is fun and SO EASY to install. I recommend it to everyone that has a spare tone pot that they are willing to sacrifice. Playing Buckethead has never been the same.

The sustainer is awesome, yet a little over rated I think. I only ever use it in normal mode. Mix and Harmonic modes are tad silly to me. I might use them every once in a while at the end of songs to provoke some feedback. Thats about it. But in normal mode, it adds to everything. Playing melodies on one string without picking sounds dark, almost haunting.

I decided against a middle pickup becuase I would never use it anyways and now when I select the middle pickup, it plays the bridge but at a significantly cut output. Its almost like I have a clean channel ON the guitar. Almost. Not quite, but almost. YOu can still hear a bit of the gain come through.

And now my favorite part, the pickup. I can not say enough good things about this pickup. Bare Knuckle is THE BOMB. I play in drop D and the Holy Diver retains all clarity on the low notes. At the same time, harmonics just jump out of the fretboard. (Think Satch) The pickup as a whole creates this nice, thick, mid heavy sound that just screams when you push it and gets crystal clear when you roll back on the colume knob.

MOAR PICS!

Now there is only one thing left to do, and that is to get it painted! Through a mutual friend, I found an airbrush artist in town that is willing to do it for cheap.

I plan on putting this graphic on it:

On the guitar like so:

Of course, the pickup won't be darker like that. I did that just to help distinguish that the pickup is there. Oh yea, I did that mock up before I decided on not having a middle pickup, so just pretend that it isn't there.

In all, I am in love with this guitar. There is not one thing that I dislike about it. I seriously can not put it down. and that's a month after its been done! I 110% recommend that if you don't care about resale value to build your own parts mutts. Why settle for only having some things you want on a single guitar when you can have it all? Not to mention how much of a learning experience it was. I have a completely renewed understanding on how the different parts of a guitar work together to create a playable instrument. I think everyone should build a guitar if only for the educational experience.

Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Last edited by itchy guitar at Jul 25, 2010,
Awesome guitar dude! When you finish it though, are you gonna finish the pickup ring too, like it is in the picture? It would look better if you didn't IMO. Idk if that's phrased very well, but if the guitar body and pickup is finished, but the pup ring is left black?
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
I was thinking about that, but i decided against it because that is the center of attention on the guitar. I think it would be like putting a hole in the middle of a canvas. Of curse I can always have the artist do that last and we can see how it looks without it before going on.

Thanks for the feedback. You raised a good point.
Quote by MakinLattes
Last edited by itchy guitar at Jul 25, 2010,
Dude that guitar is made of win. The thing about that guitar is you will love it more then any other guitar you will ever own cause you made it your own.
My Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncans
Jackson JS30RR Rhoads
Fender Frontman 25R (Want to upgrade badly)
Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion
Exactly. I think that is actually what I love most about it. No matter how many guitars come and go through my lifetime, this one is staying with me forever.
Quote by MakinLattes
very nice sir. That graphic will look sick.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
nice man! i agree with your statement about low end jackson necks being pretty good. i owned a kvx10 for a short while and i really was sad to see the neck go.

so since the mid pup wont be there, is the art going to go into the cavity that is there or will there just be a hole? thats a shame you're painting over the BKP but it really is an important part of the peice going there that can't afford to be left out. speaking of the bkp, i dont know of many people using the holy diver for metal. i always see the warpig, nailbomb, painkiller, or miracle man for those. i have a distressed miracle man in my seven is there anything you dont like about the holy diver?

ive considering getting one of these sustaniac pickups, maybe in the carivn bolt strat im getting soon. but ill go see how much they cost first.

looking forward to seeing the finished peice! dont go and get yourself banned again, at least not before you finish it

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Well, the one thing I don't like about the Holy Diver is that the paint on the cover is rubbing off. Don't know why, apparently it hasn't been a problem with Bare knuckle before. Since tha paint is flaking off anyways, it might as well get painted too. And with no middle pickup, I'm still on the fence if I should just put a dummy pickup cover in there or not. I think I will actually, now that I think about it.

As for the Diver being used for metal, its plenty. I'm more of a fan of the late 80's early 90's Thrash and Progressive scene A la Savatage and Fates Warning. A little example would be this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiHyP3wHae8

It can handle that without a problem. But I can see where Pig Destroyer or something similar might be a bit too much for the Diver to handle.

And I'll try not to get banned because its a perma if I do! But I'm sending the guitar off in about a month So it should be done and back in my hands in 2. Possibly 3. I'll be sure to post more pictures.
Quote by MakinLattes
Just dropped my guitar off at the airbrush artist's house!

We had to negotiate a little on the artwork and made some adjustments.

We had to make everything a little bigger, so I just started putting the highlights of the picture wherever they would go. I actually think it looks better this way though.

I should have the guitar back in a week and a half! I'll make sure to post plenty of pictures for you guys.
Quote by MakinLattes
shoudlve filled the middle pickup with wood filler.
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Dude that is awesome, give us a real photo when its done...
My Guitar Rig:

> '09 Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue w/ DiMarzio John Petrucci Set
> ESP LTD V-50 Black
> Line 6 POD X3 Live
> Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Quote by SquierLolz

no he should not have.

woodfiller would slowly overtime make a pit out of that, then crack, ruining the finish. the way to do it would be cut a piece of wood out that would fill it up pretty much completely, then using woodfiller on the creases.

why people think you can do that is beyond me
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by SquierLolz

Nahh, no need to make things complicated. I'm just going to put a 3 dollar dummy pickup cover in there as soon as I get off my lazy ass and order one.
Quote by MakinLattes
definitely looking forward to seeing this thing come together. awesome ideas!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip

Because you guys wanted to see photos of it after being painted, here they are.
Quote by MakinLattes
Last edited by itchy guitar at Oct 23, 2010,
badass !
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
OM NOM NOM NOM although imo guitars with a graphic like that on the body look better with a matching headstock or atleast a headstock with the same colour scheme- but thats just my opinion and i still think its very sexy the way it is
You know, I was actually thinking about that when I put it all together. Maybe its a project for another time.

And by the way, your avatar isn't so sneaky on UG Black.
Quote by MakinLattes
was this painted right on the black finish or was that sanded down to wood then refinished? Awesome job
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
I'm assuming that it wasn't sanded down all the way to the wood, but rather had the black finished scuffed up so that a layer of primer would stick to it.
Quote by MakinLattes
how much did the paint job cost. its sick!!
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
jizz.......jiiiiiiiiiizzzzzz....jjjjjjjjjjjjiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiizzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........JIZZZ..........JIZZ

havnt seen a prettier ax
****ing awesome! I have that savatage album, and I always thought the cover art was incredible. nice guitar man!
Quote by itchy guitar

Because you guys wanted to see photos of it after being painted, here they are.

I Just Came!!
Quote by Maynard James Keenan

Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion
Quote by W4RP1G
****ing awesome! I have that savatage album, and I always thought the cover art was incredible. nice guitar man!

Its definitely one of my favorite albums of all time. Gary Smith has some inhuman talent in airbrushing.

I'm glad to see that my guitar is making stains in your all's trousers.
Quote by MakinLattes
whoa
that is extremley nice is that man
im quite jealous
Last edited by SammYxBrooTaL at Jan 2, 2011,
Quote by SammYxBrooTaL
whoa
that is extremley nice is that man
im quite jealous

You do know this is like over a month old? I'm just sayin...
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
I knew the guy that did it, so it was 400 for the paint job and another 200 for the clear coat. So 600 in total.

I really should take this out of my sig so it stops getting necrobumped
Quote by MakinLattes
So epic!
When I die, want you to dress me in straght laced shoes
A box back coat and a Stetson hat;