My friend asked me to help him pick out a new amp. He's playing an american series deluxe tele through a line 6 spider III so he figured it was time to upgrade. his budget is $600 and he doesn't mind buying used. He plays a lot of rhcp and tool so he needs something that can handle both of those. especially the tool stuff. i thought a used jcm 800 would be great for him but its $800 at the very least on ebay and i've heard that the jcm 900's aren't as good. so can you help him pick out an amp that will suit his needs?

and before you say "tell him to go try some amps out in the store", i already told him that and he said he knew that he didn't really have an ear for tone so he'd trust the judgment of someone else that has more experience than himself. he's good at guitar, he just doesn't have that great of an ear.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Well ive put several threads my self to come to the conclusion that the best cheap tube amps are the egnater tweaker and the vox night train and tried both and the egnater sounded bettter to me. And apperently it sounds even better when its retubed (check out the Egnater Tweaker Thread).

So ya i would say the egnater tweaker.
Quote by acdcthunder178
Well ive put several threads my self to come to the conclusion that the best cheap tube amps are the egnater tweaker and the vox night train and tried both and the egnater sounded bettter to me. And apperently it sounds even better when its retubed (check out the Egnater Tweaker Thread).

So ya i would say the egnater tweaker.

i've played both of those amps and i can't say that they would be able to cover tool-esque tones even with a pedal. thanks for the suggestion though
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Bugera 333XL 1/2 Stack - $550
http://richmond.craigslist.org/msg/1838853209.html

Traynor YCV80q 4x10 combo - $500
http://richmond.craigslist.org/msg/1831626068.html

Fender hot rod deville 2x12 - $450 <-- with the leftover budget, get a nice dirt pedal.
http://richmond.craigslist.org/msg/1822835653.html

Peavey Classic 30 - $325
http://richmond.craigslist.org/msg/1847657517.html

one of these should do your buddy just fine.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
the JCM 900's definitely aren't bad, but if he's going to get one I would really only suggest the SL-X.

and +1 for the Vox Night Train suggestiong. A current new favorite of mine, but don't know how well it would perform doing tool.
Well, if he doesn't "have an ear for tone", then he doesn't need a new.

He doesn't sound very interested or concerned at all.

It sounds like you just want a new amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
peavey classic 30
blackstar ht-20
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by Offworld92

well, he is playing a line 6 spider. any good band mate would have an intervention if they're guitarist was using a spider. I wouldn't wanna be in a band with my guitarist using a spider.
^ I'm not saying by any means that it's a good amp, I think they sound terrible, but if he doesn't care, (TS is making him out to be apathetic) then I see no reason why he should go and spend a bunch of money on a new amp, if he can't even appreciate the difference.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

I don't want anything. he says his line 6 sounds bad but he doesn't know what sounds good. he doesn't really know much about guitar equipment and bass equipment is more of my expertise. he just knows he wants something that will be able to cover the bands I mentioned.

does anyone have any experience with the blackstar ht-40? that looks like a nice little amp.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
well, I was coming more from the ts's point of view rather than the dude actually buying the amp if I was in a band with someone using a spider, I would not gig w/ them until they upgraded.
Quote by handbanana
well, I was coming more from the ts's point of view rather than the dude actually buying the amp if I was in a band with someone using a spider, I would not gig w/ them until they upgraded.

it is extremely difficult to play with him when he uses the spider. no matter what i do to the settings the distortion stays muddy. it doesn't cut through at all no matter how loud i turn it up. we don't even have another guitar player and it doesn't cut through.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
i've played both of those amps and i can't say that they would be able to cover tool-esque tones even with a pedal. thanks for the suggestion though

You must not have played the Tweaker very extensively, because with an OD pedal, it can easily cover Tool-Esque tones.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by SLonergan
You must not have played the Tweaker very extensively, because with an OD pedal, it can easily cover Tool-Esque tones.

i just couldn't get the low end chunk that adam jones gets with the tweaker. it covered everything else wonderfully. it's just not a metal amp in my opinion.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
i just couldn't get the low end chunk that adam jones gets with the tweaker. it covered everything else wonderfully. it's just not a metal amp in my opinion.

All I'm saying is with the right boost you can get that low end chunk...also, its a lot easier to get a mid-gain amp up into high gain territory, than it is to get a high-gain amp down into mid-gain territory. So, if you want something that handles RHCP, and Tool well, you should get something a little lower gain.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by SLonergan
All I'm saying is with the right boost you can get that low end chunk...also, its a lot easier to get a mid-gain amp up into high gain territory, than it is to get a high-gain amp down into mid-gain territory. So, if you want something that handles RHCP, and Tool well, you should get something a little lower gain.

do you have any experience with the blackstar ht-40? i've never played it but from what im taking away from reviews it could handle all that stuff pretty well. i'm going to mention to him that he should try out the tweaker when we go to guitar center tomorrow. any boosts/ODs he should try with it to get a heavier sound?

Edit: i also just noticed the tweaker is only 15w. i'm not sure if that will be loud enough. my 40 watt hot rod deluxe is the perfect volume while leaving enough headspace. im not sure if the tweaker will work for us (our drummer plays very loudly).
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Last edited by funkbass369 at Jul 26, 2010,
Atleast for a temporary solution until he upgrades I would suggest using the crunch channel and driving it with a pedal. The metal and insane channels are "insanely" bad
Quote by funkbass369
do you have any experience with the blackstar ht-40? i've never played it but from what im taking away from reviews it could handle all that stuff pretty well. i'm going to mention to him that he should try out the tweaker when we go to guitar center tomorrow. any boosts/ODs he should try with it to get a heavier sound?

Edit: i also just noticed the tweaker is only 15w. i'm not sure if that will be loud enough. my 40 watt hot rod deluxe is the perfect volume while leaving enough headspace. im not sure if the tweaker will work for us (our drummer plays very loudly).

No experience with the HT-40.

Something you need to understand about tube amps...double the wattage doesn't mean double the volume. I think you need to multiply the wattage by 10 to get twice as loud.

The maximum volume difference between your 40 watt hot rod deluxe and the 15 watt Tweaker will be negligible.

Boost with a Tubescreamer...industry standard.

Fulltone OCDs are my personal faves...I need to get one soon.
Quote by rmr024

I have a HT-5H, so if the HT-40 is at all similar, I think that it should be a good option for you. It goes up to heavy rock very well, but might need a slight boost for full on metal. My HT-5 is very loud on the distortion channel so you might want to consider the HT-20 as well.

Blackstar was formed by ex-Marshall employees as well, so their amps do the Marshall distortion thing quite nicely.

Boost-wise, I think SLonergan's suggestions seem pretty good. He's also right about the volume thing, 10W is only half as loud as 100W, but each amp is different anyway.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
alright i guess we'll get to guitar center tomorrow and try out the blackstar ht-40, ht-20, and the tweaker and go from there. thanks everyone.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M