Well...as my money slowly builds up to my new rig (almost there! ), I'm once again torn between two amps. I was almost completely sure I wanted the Blackstar HT-5, and then out of nowhere the Egnater Tweaker pops up...

Considering I play almost every genre except metalcore (think Red Hot Chili Peppers to Alice in Chains to Van Halen), what would you recommend?

Basically...the heads both cost the exact same amount of money. Which would YOU get given the choice between the two?

P.S. If you know of a better tube head around the same price point, please feel free to suggest something else within reason.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Last edited by Ayses at Jul 26, 2010,
I play similar music. Cleans have lately become more important to me. Depending on how much gain you need the Egnater wins. I actually switched from the ht-5 to the tweaker. Do you need 2 channels? Do you need a headphone jack or di out? Do you play modern metal? If yes to any of those maybe stick with the ht5 if not I would say tweaker it is!
Blackstar ID:15TVP
2001 MIA Strat (SD '59/Stock/CustomCustom)
Early 80s Fernandes The Revival '57
I'm actually getting my HT-5 (Combo, though) in the mail tomorrow.. I've never had a chance to play a Tweaker and most likely will never get to as long as I'm in NH, but..

The HT-5 just seems amazing.
I'd say the absolute heaviest metal I'd play is Megadeth. Can the Tweaker handle that? Maybe with an overdrive?

Which one of the two amps would you say could do a Led Zeppelin tone better?
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Congrats absentone it's an amazing little amp despite not being all that I need. Keyword is I! I'm debating If I want to keep it or sell mine, need the cash bad!
Quote by sixstringedmatt
Congrats absentone it's an amazing little amp despite not being all that I need. Keyword is I! I'm debating If I want to keep it or sell mine, need the cash bad!

M'kay I was just throwing my opinion of the amp out there.

Oh lordy, lordy, I'll never post again!
If that came across as rude I apologize! I meant it in a nice way. I'm on my iPod so I'm not typing as extensively as I should. Honestly it's a great amp.

I can see the tweaker doing megadeth with a boost. I get close with my superstrat on the hot mode but my bad monkey helps saturate things a bit. The ht5 will do megadeth out of the box a bit easier. For zep the tweaker wins hands down.
i had an ht5 and sold it. not because it was bad but i have this urge to always flip gear, upgrade etc. my problem not yours.

the ht5 is a great amp for a lot of things. for me it lacked low end, which was our moment of "aww shit". every relationship has a few, we parted friends. but for a decent practice amp with low volume tone, 2 footswitchable channels, a loop and headphone capability it's the best in the price range, imo.

the tweaker is another whole beast. heaping gobloads of lows, one channel but more versatile, moar power, yadda yadda yadda. i'm digging it but a/b to another amp when i need a good clean. the tweaker has nice cleans but i've got that problem remember?

try them both, let your needs and ears decide.
Alright thanks! I guess I'll PROBABLY just get the HT-5 seeing as it's two channels and whatnot. It seems to have a pretty nice clean too if you throw some reverb on there.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
egnater. i've tried the blackstar and the egnater, and the egnater wins. with a bit of a boost it can get into megadeth/metallica range.
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
^oh you, making me more indecisive. Lol. Why do there have to be so many amps

Getting your first tube is a lot harder when you're picky...lol.

Now that I think about it...if everyone is saying the Egnater has better clean/mid gain tones, I guess I COULD go Egnater and grab an overdrive pedal to sort of simulate two channels. I dunno...lol. Is that practical?
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
i love egnater!
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
if you wat ur first tube amp grab the egnater. if you want your first something else grab the blackstar.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Ayses
^oh you, making me more indecisive. Lol. Why do there have to be so many amps

Getting your first tube is a lot harder when you're picky...lol.

Now that I think about it...if everyone is saying the Egnater has better clean/mid gain tones, I guess I COULD go Egnater and grab an overdrive pedal to sort of simulate two channels. I dunno...lol. Is that practical?

dude. trust me, when i played the blackstar. it lacked BALLS.
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
I agree -- the Blackstar did not have any bottom end. I am finally beginning to realize its not the Tweaker thats boomy -- its the fact that I did not have any balls in the Blackstar to begin with.
Quote by sixstringedmatt
I agree -- the Blackstar did not have any bottom end. I am finally beginning to realize its not the Tweaker thats boomy -- its the fact that I did not have any balls in the Blackstar to begin with.

level up. did you have the 10 inch speaker with the blackstar? that makes a fairly big difference in low end.
Well I DO want my amp to have balls. If the Blackstar lacks low end and balls, then screw that. I guess I could go with the Egnater and get some pedals to boost if I ever feel like playing metal.

The Egnater is a sexy amp anyway!
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
if you want to play metal also look at the jca20. the tweaker is a better all arounder though.
Acoustic, I used the 1x10s then used a 2x12 to clean it up and it did get more low end response.

But due to size, I am running the Tweaker through my 1x10 and it has way more balls to my ear than the HT-5.

EDIT: Ok, so I don't play metal. BUT I play just about everything else.

At first I didn't think the thing could cut it to my saturated nice Blackstar leads, but I have been tweaking for a bit and this thing blows HT-5 out of the water ESPECIALLY with a little boost.

I can't say enough good things about this amp. Buy one, or two or hell, three. 'cause these things are sick.
Last edited by sixstringedmatt at Jul 26, 2010,
Well sweet! I'll probably go with the Egnater then. Strange that I never heard of it until like...three days ago? The brand Egnater even...lol.

Anyways, thanks for your opinions. I'll definitely check out the Egnater as soon as I find a dealer with one...which might be never TBH.

First piece of gear ordered online possibly?
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
AH one last question though, hopefully someone can answer. I was thinking about getting an Orange 2x12 so I can use it with future amp purchases as well as the Tweaker...does this amp go well with Vintage 30s?
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Alright I was just wondering because from what I've read, the amp sounds "perfect" with its stock cab...so I didn't know if it was worth investing in a 2x12 if the stock was supposedly better.

The only reason this is an issue is because I was probably going to buy a 5150 eventually, and the tweaker cab can't handle it.
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Are you close to a gc? Go demo the stock cabs. If you don't like it get the v30s. I really dog the g12h30s though.
v30s sound great in the orange cab. i really don't like them otherwise but they sound great in there.
Yeah I wish I was close to a GC. All my local guitar shops sell Marshall, Fender or EVH gear almost exclusively...maybe a bit of Peavey but...yeah. I don't really know of anyone who says Orange stuff sounds bad, plus I love the look of it. Should be fine. Thanks for the help!
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M