Okay, so I need to make a decision on an amp to upgrade to and I don't quite know where to start. I tried reading through the amp guide above, but when I got the the amps they were split into three catagories, clean, mid gain, and high gain. So my problem with that was I use pedals for my distortion so i wasn't sure if I should get a good clean amp and use the pedals or if I should get a good high gain amp and still use the pedals. But I only have about 500 dollars to spend, so I'm not sure what to look at.
What styles of music do you play?
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Stack or combo?
What type of music?
Will you be playing cleans or just leads?

you can use pedals with lots of different amps, wouldn't say the amount of gain has anything to do w/ whether it takes pedals good or not. You can always turn it up or down.

Save another $100 dollars and get a Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo for $600 brand new. Easily the best deal on the new market right now. Has plenty of gain on tap.
I play a lot of different kinds of music. I play Ambient, Thrash metal, Stoner Metal, some classic rock, sludge metal, and grunge mostly. I usually record by myself so I play all different kinds of positions.
Last edited by Anzio at Jul 26, 2010,
A Peavey Vypyr might be good for you. Look into them.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Anzio
I play a lot of different kinds of music. I play Ambient, Thrash metal, Stoner Metal, some classic rock, sludge metal, and grunge mostly. I usually record by myself so I play all different kinds of positions.

edit: can you play loud? or will neighbors/parents want to kill you?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 26, 2010,
Yup like I said, and the dude above me said, the 6505+ 112 Combo sounds like it would be perfect for you. It's easily the best metal amp in its price range.
I would get a 6505, but I don't really need something that big.
try to find a used Crate Blue Voodoo. with a nice fuzz and/or an OD, it would do all those styles perfectly. you can find them for $500 easy.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Offworld92
A Peavey Vypyr might be good for you. Look into them.

I'm pretty sure that's not what he's looking for.

TS, I agree, the 6505 combo sounds like its for you.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Peavey 6505 or you could check out some Bugeras. (Bugera V22 or V55 depending on what kind of wattage you need.)
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Bugera isn't bad, but I would look into the 6260 or 6262, or even the 1990.
The v22/55 will not have nearly enough gain for what he plays.
I own an Electro Hamonix Metal Muff that I use for distortion, and a Way Huge Swollen Pickle Jumbo Fuzz for my fuzz distortion.
A used Peavey Ultra combo would be a better choice than the 6505. It is much more versatile, nice cleans, great crunch and super high gain. You won't need any pedals with it, unless you use a fuzz

Oh and they're cheaper than a 6505+ combo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Vypyr Tube 60 or used Peavey Ultra.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Jhachey22
try to find a used Crate Blue Voodoo. with a nice fuzz and/or an OD, it would do all those styles perfectly. you can find them for $500 easy.

+1

I came into this thread just to suggest the Blue Voodoo
Quote by handbanana
I would say definitely stay away from the vypyr and the blue voodoo

really? why? what is your experience with the bloo voodoo?

also, big +1 to the ultra.

Edit: anytime someone says my amp blew up i'm suspicious. amps don't explode, bombs do. maybe a tube goes bad, or a fuse blows but those are relatively easy fixes on tube amps.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 26, 2010,
My friend had one that literally blew up during practice on top of it sounding like poop. Never had a good experience from anything made by crate
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 26, 2010,
Quote by handbanana
My friend had one that literally blew up during practice on top of it sounding like poop. Never had a good experience from anything made by crate

everyone else here seems to have good experiences with it

It's a totally different animal than anything else Crate has made. It was designed with Billy Gibbons and IIRC Marty Freidman was using them in the 90s, so it can definitely handle metal. and you know it's got gain to spare if it was designed by Willy G.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Jul 26, 2010,