Now don't get me wrong, I'm not a complete newbie to guitar, but I've always wondered why I can't bend my strings too far. I see videos with people being able to easily bend their strings like 2 steps. I have a bud whose strings are also easy to bend. I don't have much of a problem with bending a whole step but anything above that is pretty much impossible.

For instance, I don't think I can even bend the high E string on the 22nd fret a full step at all.

Is it my guitar? My string gauge?
It depends. Could be your string gauge. What are you playing? If they are thicker strings they will be tougher to bend. Also, if you're playing a strat style guitar, the string tension on a strat can be pretty tight tuned to standard. Try dropping your tuning a half step. Hendrix did it, Clapton did it, and countless others.
try some .009's or go down a half-step
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
SRV could bed 1 1/2 to 2 steps with 13s tuned to Eb. you need to build finger strength. If you're trying for a huge bend, reinforce the bend with as many fingers as you can. you should be able to bend a full step with any "normal" gauge strings.

practice, practice, practice.
Quote by Arianator
String gauge is .011-.049.

11s are pretty think for standard tuning.
Keep at it man SRV could bend the shit outta 13s...I read he incredible strenght in his hands...keep at it or go down to 10s or 9s....raise your lows up on your amp to compensate for the lighter gauge....or you could create a hybrid set sort of like the GHS TNTs where the low 3 strings are from a 11 gauge set and the high 3 are from a 10....
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
THe other guys have put most of the things in place.

there is one more thing. (minor as it maybe)

if you have a longer scale length guitar (in the likes of fenders), the tension on a particular string to reach a particular note is more compared to a smaller scale length guitars (likes of Gibson).

well, it surely doesn't stop you from bending, it makes it a tad bit difficult. some people dont even notice it, while some are very picky about it.
Well, it's not that great of a guitar. I bought it two years ago. It's this .
Anyway, I don't think I could bend it farther honestly...it feels like it's about to snap if I try any more.
Last edited by Arianator at Jul 26, 2010,
Quote by Arianator
Well, it's not that great of a guitar. I bought it two years ago. It's this .
Anyway, I don't think I could bend it farther honestly...it feels like it's about to snap if I try any more.

Those guitars aren't that bad bro...but if ur not too far along yet I would just by some 10s next time and if those still don't work try 9s...
If you like the 11s thought thats cool I got a few questions though then I'll tell you what I would do
About tuning down a half step
Do you play in a band? If so do u play with a keyboardist?are u the main guy in the band? Or do u play along to cd's?
99 percent of keyboardists will not play with people that tune down cause they can't and it would make their chord shapes totally different,if ur the main guy in the band u may be able to talk everyone else into tuning down though
It may be hard to play along to certain cds though
I use 9s and tune to standard right now cause of the band I'm in...there's 5 people and the bassist also plays in another band that's plays to standard so he won't tune down....I was in a 3 piece for years and I used GHS TNTs tuned down a half step so u kinda gotta respect ur band mates when it comes to tuning down

Hope this helps
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
There is no way to tell you what is wrong off the internut.It could be strings,neck radius,fret condition or even your technique that is bad or something totally different. In other words it is time to have someone else examine your playing and try and help figure it out.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Since you're new, your hands and fingers aren't as strong and developed. Also, you're rocking .11s. I would go down to .09s, and work your way up from there
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
I never used .09's. Always used .10's. I use light top/heavy bottoms sometimes. Anything lower is too loose and anything higher is too tight.
Quote by Arianator

it probably wont snap. if you really need less tension, drop it down a half step, then throw a capo on the first fret, move all playing up one fret. that way you can play open strings also. it wont feel like you're playing 009s but there ll be a tad less tension
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
Quote by DeanRedneck
SRV could bed 1 1/2 to 2 steps with 13s tuned to Eb. you need to build finger strength. If you're trying for a huge bend, reinforce the bend with as many fingers as you can. you should be able to bend a full step with any "normal" gauge strings.

practice, practice, practice.

yeah but he also had a high action; .13's with a high action, in Eb feel a lot like .11's in stardard with an average action.

tried it, tested it myself on my guitars.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
yeah but he also had a high action; .13's with a high action, in Eb feel a lot like .11's in stardard with an average action.

tried it, tested it myself on my guitars.

High action makes bending harder.
you just need to practice. start with half steps then move to wholes and then whole and a half. You might run out of string tension at that point.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Your thumb should be over top of the neck for easier bending and more control too.