Are humbuckers normally bright or warm? And how about single coils, bright or warm?This question has been haunting me for days. I thought humbuckers were bright and single coils were warm but I have seen people say otherwise.

So how bout it UG?
Quote by The Silent Fool
^ a winner we have.
There are a ton of factors that go into a pickup. Generally, humbuckers are darker and have more bass, whereas single coils have more bite and chimey tones. However, some humbuckers can be as bright as single coils, and some single coils aren't so chimey. It also depends on the guitar they are set in.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Anybody have video or song examples of each? It seems like my humbucker is bright and my singles are warm. My guitar body is alder.
Quote by The Silent Fool
^ a winner we have.
Quote by Scarr77
Anybody have video or song examples of each? It seems like my humbucker is bright and my singles are warm. My guitar body is alder.

Could just as much be your amp's settings.

Check this out though, it's kinda fun and it gives a good idea of the differences, at least in a overdriven situation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibonH3lA66U
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at Jul 26, 2010,
there are a lot of variables. there are so many pickups out there, you really cant generalize warm/bright.

Here is how i hear them, everything im about to say is just what i hear, personally. other will say different as tone is subjective:

HUmbuckers usually have a "smoother" tone, single coils have a bit of a "pop" to them. put this is only a general observation

P90s have a really warm tone, but strat pickups are usually somewhat bright, even though they are both single coils.

A dimebucker sounds really bright, but a PAF style pickup sounds really warm, even though they are both humbuckers

personally, I think a single coil in the bridge position sounds very bright. In the neck postion, warmer than a humbucker.

I fins single coils brighter in the bridge, but muddier in the neck position than a humbucker

there arent enough words to truly describe the tonal differences between pickups.
Each kind of pickup is unique, and can't be generalized like that. Between humbuckers and single coils, there are hundreds of different kinds of each, that each have their own tonal characteristics.

Add in the variable of the guitar they're going in, which will affect what they sound like and how they respond, and add in the variable of an amp. which massively affects your tone, and you basically have an unlimited number of tonal options.

There is way too much more for me to put in one post than whether humbuckers or single coils are bright are warm. It's just not simple like that, at all.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I just messed around on my guitar and I think it might be that I can't hear my single coils very well, they're quiet compared to my humbucker
Quote by The Silent Fool
^ a winner we have.
Quote by Scarr77
I just messed around on my guitar and I think it might be that I can't hear my single coils very well, they're quiet compared to my humbucker

are they cheap, no name pickups? if so this is often the case
Quote by DeanRedneck
are they cheap, no name pickups? if so this is often the case

Haha, yeah they're stock in my stagg.
Quote by The Silent Fool
^ a winner we have.