Page 1 of 2
So I posted in the Electric Guitar forum, but got things like "jus get a schecter c-1 maN, dey kan plai anyting!!"

Yeah...

So I love my Ibanez S but want something more suited to the classic rock/blues I've been playing (almost exclusively) lately. Dire straights, SRV, Hendrix type stuff.

I'm looking for something with a classic vibe, definitely single coils. Honestly at this point I'm looking at Strats and Telecasters.

Budget is 800-1000. Which puts me at either a really nice MIJ from the early 80s, or something MIA from the 90s-00s.

Ideas? Specific recommendations? Opinions?
Road worn strat! Especially for that vintage vibe. Just choose 50s or 60s depending on what neck you want.

Mines a partocaster that i'm modifying to all hell, but it plays really nicely and i've seen more than a few reviews from a bunch of people who own a few strats saying this is their favourite. Only problem being they need a good setup and occasionally need a bit of fret dressing. No big deal.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Road-Worn--50s-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-104998505-i1434663.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Road-Worn--60s-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-104998448-i1434662.gc

Right in your price range. I'm sure you could get a setup thrown in as well.
Last edited by doommaker at Jul 26, 2010,
Personally, I like Teles a whole lot more than Strats. Strats all sound the same to me, I dunno what the deal is with them, but I just can't jive with them

For country type stuff, I'd definitely take the Tele over a Strat. But the SRV/Hendrix obviously makes me think Strat.

Best idea would be to go try a few out yourself. Usually players are either Strat fans, or Tele fans. Unless you're a Fender fanboy, it's either one or the other
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Really not a fan of roadworn..I detest the idea of commercializing experience and age.

Forget to specify, I'm not interested in anything new. Used all the way.

I tend to like the feel of strats, but the look and sound of teles. I'll definitely be trying out everything in a bunch of music stores, but was looking for ideas of stuff to keep an eye out for.
Used Am. Std. HSS?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Yeah a AM Strat would be great.

You could look at some old Jap G&Ls
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by denied
Really not a fan of roadworn..I detest the idea of commercializing experience and age.

Forget to specify, I'm not interested in anything new. Used all the way.

I tend to like the feel of strats, but the look and sound of teles. I'll definitely be trying out everything in a bunch of music stores, but was looking for ideas of stuff to keep an eye out for.

Try 'em. The Roadworns are the best MIM Fenders I've ever played. It's the same with Fender's CS guitars, I love my non-relic Strat, but it took some time and playing for it to sound the way it does, while the relic ones are resonant with that dry and woody tone right out of the box.

That sounded like a sales pitch. Sorry.

You pretty much answered your own question in the OP. Used older MIJ strat should do the trick.
G&L guitars appear to be pretty good. They're the last company leo fender founded (I think after musicman) and he took a different direction with these. The designs are a bit more progressive than most Fender designs, but I've heard that they sound amazing.

I don't know their prices very well, but you can probably get an ameican made asat (based on a tele) or a legacy (strat) used for under $1000. Their imported ones are cheaper but also appear to be pretty good.

Good luck in your search (and may I ask what amp you are using?
Quote by denied
I'm not really open to anything MIM at the moment..For this kind of cash I just don't see any reason..

I've never heard of G&L, I'll check em out.

I switch amps pretty consistently...Using a Carvin legacy at the moment, but will be pickup up either a twin reverb or mesa lonestar pretty soon.

The MIMs are assembled by Mexicans in Mexico, the MIAs are assembled by Mexicans in America.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Nothing against Mexico. If I thought they were solid guitars, I would be right there.
My main guitar at the moment is a Korean made S series, which plays absolutely beautifully, I replaced the pickups on it and get consistent compliments on both it's feel and sound.

But Fender does use inferior parts in Mexico. I've played them, and they were okay, but IMO your mostly paying for the fender name. They go used pretty cheap and are great deals, but If I'm going to drop a grand on a guitar, I want something pretty high quality.

Edit: I checked out G&L, they seem pretty solid. Especially the ASAT, comanche, legacy, and s-500. Anyone with personal experience of these?

I'd have to try one out before buying though, and they can't be super common in stores...
Last edited by denied at Jul 26, 2010,
Well, aside from the Am. Standards, maybe you ought to make a partocaster?

Get a Mighty Mite neck and a Warmoth body, get the pickups yourself and assemble it? Should be well, well within your budget.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
I agree with you. I really do not understand Fender's marketing:

MIA Standard>MIA Special> MIA Highway 1> MIM Classic > MIM Standard > Squire Anything?!? What a branding nightmare--- all for the same "Strat" model line. What is the difference between the "best" MIM and "worst" MIA guitar, for example? It cannot be good for their business. I thought they had enough of this segmentation with the Squire line-up.

I sold my American Strat from the 80s a few years ago--- and thought I regretted it. I wanted a new guitar, and after digging through the mess at Fender, I recently purchased a Korean made guitar with a bound neck, EMGs and a Floyd (the antithesis of a Fender). I couldn't be happier. I had a very difficult time unraveling the Fender value proposition. Of course, back when I purchased my Strat originally, it was all about MIA vs. MIJ. I checked out a new (affordable) Highway 1, and the finish looked like an M&M coating. There was no gloss to it at all.

I was also interested in G&L, but none was available locally. I would also consider used, but most local sellers are not realistic about their resale value. Ebay has skewed the market-- but I believe they are risky to buy sight unseen (and shipping can be a killer). A good number of used Strats have been modified in some way anyway... so is it still a "Strat?" And how well-loved is the "Strat sound" if so many people swap out the pickups (as even I had done)?

Realistically, why not use what you have and find your own tone with your amp or whatever...?

Quote by denied
Nothing against Mexico. If I thought they were solid guitars, I would be right there.
My main guitar at the moment is a Korean made S series, which plays absolutely beautifully, I replaced the pickups on it and get consistent compliments on both it's feel and sound.

But Fender does use inferior parts in Mexico. I've played them, and they were okay, but IMO your mostly paying for the fender name. They go used pretty cheap and are great deals, but If I'm going to drop a grand on a guitar, I want something pretty high quality.

Edit: I checked out G&L, they seem pretty solid. Especially the ASAT, comanche, legacy, and s-500. Anyone with personal experience of these?

I'd have to try one out before buying though, and they can't be super common in stores...
^ Cause his current guitar doesn't have single coils and you can't get a proper single coil tone out of humbuckers, even with coil splitting.

Sure, you get unique tones, but they're not really single coil tones. I had 9-way switching on my last guitar, and it was fun, but it wasn't the same as my Strat was, either.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by denied

I've never heard of G&L, I'll check em out.

You mean you've never heard anyone say;

"I'm playing a G&L Legacy through a 65 Amp Soho"
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I love my S, it's just a very different type of guitar. It has fantastic action, thin neck, ZR trem...etc. It does guitar cleans, and is very articulate in it's sound. It does what I want it to do beautifully (basically progressive metal, pagans mind typestuff).

The problem is that is doesn't do anything else very well. Yes I've played blues on it, but it's not the ideal guitar for that kind of thing.

This isn't about finding my "sound," it's about having the flexibility that I need. I get a decent amount of work as a session guitarist, and have recently been feeling that I could use a strat/tele type guitar, so here I am.

So is the MIA standard the high end of the MIA line? I don't have a huge amount of experience with strats. I'd love something used from the custom shop, but would have to hunt for a deal at this budget.

Edit: ^Oh is THAT what andy's talking about!
Last edited by denied at Jul 26, 2010,
Quote by denied

If you go used though, you can get a beauty of a MIM Tele, and throw on some nice hardware. Say you find a MIM Tele for £300, probably a bit less than that, that's no where near scratching your budget and you can turn it in to a real monster of a guitar.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

The most I would do would be switch pickups and hardware. I'm talking about wood quality at this point. MIMs are FANTASTIC budget guitars, and very solid for what they are meant to be. I'm just in a position where I can afford something a little better and would rather go with that.

Even if it means putting my pedalboard plans on hold
You're worried about wood quality? I'd get a finished Warmoth body with a Mighty Mite neck and buy the electronics yourself if you're planning on switching them anyway.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
I'd definitely play some MIA strats with you're given budget and the artists you listed. Tele's are great, but for SRV/Hendrix/Dire Straits the signature sounds all came from strats. I like the MIM strats but there's just something about the MIA strats that makes them feel sooo much better when it comes to the way they play.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Personally, I like Teles a whole lot more than Strats. Strats all sound the same to me, I dunno what the deal is with them, but I just can't jive with them

For country type stuff, I'd definitely take the Tele over a Strat. But the SRV/Hendrix obviously makes me think Strat.

Best idea would be to go try a few out yourself. Usually players are either Strat fans, or Tele fans. Unless you're a Fender fanboy, it's either one or the other

Telecasters are the shit.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
You could get the Classic Vibe then mod the fuck out of it.

I've played a CV Tele on many different occasions and preferred it to 3/4 of the MIM Teles i've tried. It might be because the MIM wasn't properly set up, but my MIM Strat is great.

But the Classic Vibes are about equal quality for a bit cheaper, the only thing you should consider is if you like the finished neck or not...
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by silly hats at Jul 26, 2010,
Quote by chip46
I'd definitely play some MIA strats with you're given budget and the artists you listed. Tele's are great, but for SRV/Hendrix/Dire Straits the signature sounds all came from strats. I like the MIM strats but there's just something about the MIA strats that makes them feel sooo much better when it comes to the way they play.

Can you give me a breakdown of the MIA strats? It seems that theres a million different names and they all look pretty similar. Folks here seem to be indicating that the standard is pretty awesome.

Just to give me an idea of what I'm looking for when I go try stuff out.
Hell, even the MIA Standards are great value in Australia. So naturally it would be better elsewhere.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Well I've only ever played the Standards and the Deluxe models. I don't remember much about the Deluxe ones. I do remember not liking any of the finishes, and the necks didn't feel as good to me for some reason, plus they're more expensive. I don't think I've played a Standard I didn't like, but I haven't tried a rosewood fb model yet.

I did play a RoadWorn and was pleasantly surprised, but I can understand not wanting something pre-aged. I would also see if your shop has any of the signature model MIA guitars. I think I remember playing an Eric Johnson model and loving it.
Why don't you look at Fender American Special Telecasters

On PGS.

They're much cheaper than AM Standards but still MIA, just no Rose fbs. I was considering one, but probably wont have the funds.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by silly hats at Jul 26, 2010,
Have you looked at Indie Guitars? You can buy direct if you call them and if they don't have a dealer near you even better because they can give you a discount. Last year I bought and Indie FDL for about $650 shipped from Canada to FL and included a gig bag. IMHO this guitar is better than a Gibson Standard that costs three times more. I know that you are looking for a Tele or Strat and they have them too. They also have their own style guitars which they call the Indie Shape. Check them out, really!

indieguitars.ca

Last edited by fcarpio at Jul 26, 2010,
Quote by denied
The most I would do would be switch pickups and hardware. I'm talking about wood quality at this point. MIMs are FANTASTIC budget guitars, and very solid for what they are meant to be. I'm just in a position where I can afford something a little better and would rather go with that.

Even if it means putting my pedalboard plans on hold

My MIM destroyed my MIJ in my eyes. The quality was near bang on the same, the wood is nicer on my MIM, got more weight to it and with a change of pickups, wiring loom & bridge saddles it sounded much nicer as well.

Saying that though, the MIJ one I had for a while was nicer than any MIA I've tried in a while.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Sure it can.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by denied
Can you give me a breakdown of the differences between tele standards and specials in terms of quality, sound and playability? I can afford used standards as well, so I'd be open to either

specials have texas special pickups, greasebucket circuitry, vintage styled traditional fender bridges, a gig bag, and basically a hw1 neck.

standards, have scn (i believe) pick ups, standard circuit, newer styled bridges (strat 2 point, tele 6 saddle bridge), a skb case, and a standard neck.

or find a nice used ash deluxe strat.

when i was in the same spot as you i went mij, bought a nice early 80's strat used and put a loaded lollar dirty blackface set in it. i'm very happy and spent about $800.

good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by silly hats
You mean you've never heard anyone say;

"I'm playing a G&L Legacy through a 65 Amp Soho"

AHAHAHAHAHAHA, BEST POST.
That is so true.
^^ What he didn't mention is that he got all that stuff at gunpoint.

What about a Godin Progression?
It's a very good quality strat style guitar (they are made in Canada) and it's well within your budget. I own a Godin and I've tried many and they never failed to please me.

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinprogressionp.htm

Edit: since everyone post pics, I'll do it too
Last edited by Sguit at Jul 26, 2010,
Quote by denied

I've played a Legacy and a Comanche. both are VERY solid guitars and I'd highly rec them to any Fender fan.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Schecter C1 /end of thread

j/k

denied - you are simply going to have to go play some of these. Unless you are planning on buying on-line you just go with what feels best and forget about all the MIx and woods and sub variations. That is the only way to buy a guitar.

Here is what I did. I was pretty sure I wanted a Strat so I spent a bunch of time on fender.com comparing all the models from a spec perspective. Narrowed it down to maybe 3 or so so I wouldn't be overwhelmed when I got to Guitar Center. I also read reviews and used the Search function to read what others thought. Then I went to GC and played a bunch. I chose a Strat that felt best to me and I liked the vintage synch 6 point bridge.

I get what you are saying about wanting a quality instrument - nothing wrong with that. Me personally, to this day still do not fully see (feel) what is so great about MIA strats. Point being, you could probably find a used Strat AND Tele within your budget if you forget about the MIx business and focus on how the guitar feels to you.

that is all
Page 1 of 2