Hey everyone, I was wondering what some people thought of the Peavey Valveking Half stack, since my buddy is selling his for 600$, I'm gonna go test it out, but I was wondering if anyone knew of anything better for what I play which is Deathcore, more along the lines of Wretched/Within The Ruins.

The only reason I really wonder is because I know I'd be getting a decent deal paying six hundred for that amp, but I was wondering if there was anything with a very noticeable difference in my favor, and what price should I be expecting to pay. If I do get the valveking, I'd like to grab a few pedals, which I'd also love suggestions for. (Maybe Maximizers, Tube Screamers, Noise Gates) etc.

Thanks alot, any help is appreciated.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
I personally would not get a Valveking halfstack for Deathcore. 'Maybe' the head if you were into modding it (new OT, new Tubes, mesa mod, etc) and there was simply nothing else available.

Additionally, the VK cab is poo. Pure poo.

I'd rather have the 6505+112 combo for $599 new. Do you even need a halfstack? Do you gig? What is on your Craigslist?
Yes, I do gig, right now I'm using a Line 6 AX212, which is alright for practice, but I need to get something gig worthy. There is nothing on my craigslist, since I live very far from any major cities.

I was thinking of trying to get a 6505 head, but I don't know what kind of cab I should get for it if I were to get that head.

And at this point, I'm looking at anything, because I'd like to get something that will last me a long time.

Also, would you guys recommend a solid state or a tube amp for what I'm playing?
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Last edited by MattAnderson111 at Jul 26, 2010,
Quote by forsaknazrael
The 6505 combo is great, too.
It's super loud, definitely more than enough volume for gigging...

I might just look at that, buy it off musiciansfriend, and bring it to a practice, if I don't like the sound, I can return it.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Quote by MattAnderson111
Yes, I do gig, right now I'm using a Line 6 AX212, which is alright for practice, but I need to get something gig worthy. There is nothing on my craigslist, since I live very far from any major cities.

I was thinking of trying to get a 6505 head, but I don't know what kind of cab I should get for it if I were to get that head.

And at this point, I'm looking at anything, because I'd like to get something that will last me a long time.

Also, would you guys recommend a solid state or a tube amp for what I'm playing?

Well, the 6505(+)/5150s heads are great too obviously and we can help you with finding a cab but then I would also have to assume your budget would then be higher.

But like the forsaknazrael said, the new 6505+ combo is extremely loud. I'd be shocked if you ever got it above 4 or 5 in a gigging situation. Also the cleans on that combo are actually pretty nice. I'd go for it.

PS: Personally, I like the dynamics a tube amp offers but there are some Solid State amps that might work for Deathcore as well. Ampeg V140C, Peavey XXL, Crate Shockwave, Peavey Vypyrs, etc
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 26, 2010,
Well the only thing I was hoping for was, I'd rather pay an upward amount of 2 grand and keep the stack for years and years, instead of shelling out 600 now for something that might only be good to me for another year.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
See my edit on SS amps but yeah, $2,000 opens up a whole new realm of amps to look at.

My take on getting the 6505+ now is that it is not a sunk cost. It should hold its resale value pretty well so just sell it when the time comes. Also, the amp should last you for years and years (not just 1). As far as all out gain, the 6505+ still beats many many amps out there and is consistently used for recording and gigging by tons of bands that you would recognize.

All of that being said, I respect what you are saying about saving up. That is what I did.

Also consider a Peavy Vypyr 60 tube hybrid. It can pull of 6505+ tones fairly well as well as other high gain amps. Benefit of this route is the onboard effects, headphone jack, USB AND you would have a great practice amp/back up amp if you decide to get a better amp down the road.

just a thought.
I've always used SS amps, and I always liked the simplicity of one compared to a tube (tube warming ups, replacing tubes, etc.) I'd really like to look for a SS that can give me a good tone that can match or at least come close to a 6505+ tube combo, but I'm still pretty new to more expensive stacks.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqYkjCf4mG8

I looked at the Ampeg, and I was looking at some of the "death metal" tones up on youtube, and I honestly think it sounds atrocious, now I know it's not the same as me going in an eq'ing and trying out everything, but I thought you should know what tone I am really looking for.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Some people put up some awful videos, TBH, hahaha...Then you factor in video camera mics, and YouTube compression....

Here's a decent clip by a UGer, check out the last two minutes for br00tz...
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/MatrixClaw/music/play461116
And you can also ask him, of course, about the amp itself.

I couldn't hear your clip, it kept distorting my speakers.
THings like warming your amp up and changing tubes are very small issues. You replace your tubes once a year or so (depending on use) and it takse all of about five minutes to do. Letting your tubes warm just means you flip two switches to turn on your amp instead of one.
1.) Don't use youtube for clips unless you can't find them anywhere else. Use netmusicians.org. There are a few in here you should check out of the Ampeg.
http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?search=Ampeg%20VH140&offset=0&display=10

2.) You really need a 6505+. The whole 'tube maintenance' thing is blown way out of proportion imo. At least if a tube amp breaks down they are relatively easy to fix. Not so much with a solid state amp (ain't knockin' SS amps here).
Okay, well I think I really want to go with a 6505+ head and a cab of some sort, can you guys help me out on finding the best cab to match the head and what I want to do with it?
Poop.

Yes, poop.
Closed back 212 cab is what I would look for. Decent construction. Celestion of Eminence speakers depending on some things. Make sure you cover yourself for the wattage of the head. Head is 120 watts you need at least that and maybe 150w.

Mesa, Avatar, Vadar, Splawn, Lopoline, Marshall, Orange, Laney, make good cabs for the most part.
+1 on the Avatar cabs, I have been pleased with my bass 4x10, guitar 4x12, and guitar 2x12. You can get some radical aesthetics going on them as well as speaker choices, which for a 6505 head I would assume Vintage 30's?
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
+ 1 to 311 and forsaknazrael.

The Mesa cab looks to be a great deal, plus the Mesa badge might get you some 'respect' from people who go purely by the badges. And 2x12s are so much less of a hassle to move around, just get an amp stand to prop it up and hear it better and you're set.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
with the right amp, right cab and speakers, guitar andd effects, any normal gigging situation is just fine for a 2x12. in fact anything over about 30 watts with a 2x12 and you have more than enough unless you are playing BIG events.

your looking at a 50 watt and a 2x12? dude. your golden. you have plenty of punch and presence with that. as others said those amps are loud.

120-150watts? thats nuts. unless you need serious headroom its not a good idea. you wont even be able to turn the amp up loud enough to get the tubes really going.
Last edited by ikey_ at Jul 26, 2010,
^good points, but the head he wants is 120 watts. Besides, for what he plays he needs the 6505s preamp distortion, not power tube distortion. So, headroom and watts won't make much difference. But if it were Bedroom practice only, I agree a 6505/stack is a bit much.
I'm thinking about getting the 4X12 because I have an Expedition, so getting it into my SUV isn't an issue, and I'd just much rather have a 4X12 for some reason.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
^I admit it, although I am looking for a 2x12 for jams.

I own a Crate head with a similar design to the Ampeg, it's awesome. Ugly, but awesome.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan