Hi,
I recently purchased a pair of turtle beach xlc headset they are for gaming
but i was listening to music with them and they sound amazing
ii was wonder if it would be a bad idea to mix with them or would it be good?
Well it's not good idea, but it's not a bad idea either. Those headphones are probably tuned to deliver a bigger bass response than standard headphones, so when the mix sounds right through them, it's actually lacking in bass. Studio monitors and headphones are designed to give as pure of a signal as possible.
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
Monitors > Headsets any day. I forget the exact reasoning but I'm sure theres someone who can say something about it
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Monitors > Headsets any day. I forget the exact reasoning but I'm sure theres someone who can say something about it

Flat frequency response and you actually hear the bass. Headphones are really too small to deliver that kind of bass response so there's less guessing with monitors. I personally don't have any, so I mix on some decent quality computer speakers and then listen in my car/stereo system/headphones for referencing.
Headphones give a different sound as their position changes. It's subtle, but it will change the mix, since it's impossible to have them positioned exactly the same way on your head every time you mix something. It won't make a huge difference in home recordings, though.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
Headphones are good for tracking, not at all for mixing.

You'll need to google the 'why' yourself.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by sambot12
Flat frequency response and you actually hear the bass. Headphones are really too small to deliver that kind of bass response so there's less guessing with monitors.

Nope. A good pair of headphones will deliver a far more accurate low end than most monitors in an untreated room.

Having said that, monitors are the better choice if available.

If you must use headphones, I'd recommend-

1) Check out the thread to equalise them to near neutrality. The resonance around 3k - 6k is usually the problem.

2) Use some sort of crossfeed to make it easier to work with the stereo image. I recommend 112db's 'Redline Monitor'.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Quote by scaronyourface

Neither. Even though you don't know it you have a set of reference tracks that you think sound good, the kind of sound you'd want from your own mixes. If you get accustomed to the headphones and know how songs you think sound good on a good system sounds in the headphones then you'll be able to mix well using headphones.

I'd also like to put forth the simple notion that the aptitude of your mixing equipment relates to the manner in which you'll present the end product. If you're only going to stick it on MySpace or some other place that compresses files then the headphones are just fine. If you're looking to press an album you need good monitors and reference listening (and probably outside help with the mixing but that's another story).
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News
Quote by L2112Lif
If you're gonna do this, Remember to USE CRAPPY HEADPHONES TOO. Buy like, a six-pack of S**T headphones from CVS or Wal-mart, and use those too.

This guy is right. Most listeners will probably listen to your song on these, so you might as well make it sound good for them!
In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
Banned for being the coolest April 08'er on UG.

please check out my own album:
almilano.bandcamp.com
I calibrated my sound by burning a CD and listened to it in my truck, my bud's stereo and on my ipod too - then I adjusted the EQ in my Amp Sim by cutting the bass and adding treble ...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by scaronyourface
Hi,
I recently purchased a pair of turtle beach xlc headset they are for gaming
but i was listening to music with them and they sound amazing
http://www.bluebearsound.com/articles/headphones.htm

Can ya mix on cans? Sure
Is it ideal? Most of the time, no.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jul 29, 2010,
I mix with headphones (Sennheiser HD205s) and they are ok. Ideally though you want to use actual monitors for the most part and headphones as a second reference.
it's better to mix on monitors because the vast majority of music is listened to through speakers. that means that the vast majority of music is heard with the sound of the room coloring it. yes, ipods put a lot of music in headphones, but still, more is heard through speakers. i can get my reverbs to sound absolutely killer in my cans, but through my speakers, it royally sucks. you try to mix in the "perfect" place but check your mixes in the "worst" places (crappy mono computer speakers and your average car) to make sure it translates to both and everywhere in between. Also, stereo imaging sounds completely different in headphones. with speakers, both ears hear everything no matter how far it's panned to either side. in phones, only one ear hears whatever is panned hard L/R.

it doesn't really have much to do with frequency response of speakers vs. phones, as there are many different kinds of both speakers and phones that are made for various purposes and therefore are meant to have certain responses. there are some of both that are meant to be very flat.

as far as position of the cans... i'm not sure what was meant by that as it's easier to get your cans in the same place on your head than to get your head to be in the exact same place between the monitors for the duration of the mix...

If all you've got is headphones, by all means, mix with them. but if you have a decent pair of speakers, use those. or, if you dont have great speakers (or even if you do...) try using both. if you can get it to sound killer in your headphones and your speakers, there's a good chance it will sound good anywhere.
Quote by moody07747
http://www.bluebearsound.com/articles/headphones.htm

Can ya mix on cans? Sure
Is it ideal? Most of the time, no.

THIS ^ is the article I was going to link to. I've met this guy, and he runs a totally pro studio in Ottawa, Canada. He knows his stuff.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.