Its korina wood... Maybe a yellow dye on the korina wood then a clearcoat finish.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Nope, korina. Gibson used it on their guitars in the 50's and has done reissues every now and then. And scratch the yellow dye, when it's clear coated it results in a golden finish like the edge's explorer.

EDIT:

\/ \/ Oh, didn't realize. I thought it looked like korina, but now i see that in the original pic that it is darker than most other korina guitars. I thought that was just the aging lacquer though .
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Last edited by GibsonMan321 at Jul 26, 2010,
There are korina Explorers, and there's also the E2, which is stained and clearcoated mahogany. Last I checked there are a few on eBay.

Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
so if its korina what has been done to it to give it that coloured finished.
Im looking all over the internet about the 1976 limited edition explorer which is the one that The Edge plays and I get some sites that say the body is made of korina and the neck is mahogany others say the body is mahogany with a mahogany neck. Does any one actually know what the 1976 limited edition explorer is made of, and if so do you know what finish is done to it.
yeah the one i linked to is The Edge's one which is a 1976 limited edition explorer.
^ Nope!

Quote by Pretty. Odd.
There are korina Explorers, and there's also the E2, which is stained and clearcoated mahogany. Last I checked there are a few on eBay.

Correct! I also know the '76 Explorer is Mahogany, not Korina. I can't find my Gibson book but I'm pretty sure because of Lynyrd Skynyrd's Allen Collins' '76 Explorer: http://guitarhangar.com/vmchk/Museum/Gibson-Explorer-1976-Owned-&-Signed-by-Lynyrd-Skynyrd.html

Quote by Jason Jillard
the pic in the op doesn;t look like mahogany at all tho..
True, but a 1976 is Mahogany. The 1958 Explorer was Korina and continued until the early '60s. Then it was Mahogany when in '82-'84, it became Korina again.

They even had an Alder Explorer in '83 with a Maple neck.

So i would need to stain the mahongany yellow or something and then clear coat it?
Quote by noahc-c
So i would need to stain the mahongany yellow or something and then clear coat it?

The yellow colour is ageing Nitro Celulose Lacquer.

You would want a tinted lacquer to give that aged appearance, Screwmac probably do one.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!