hello. been playing a while. like 6 years. i can say i don't suck. lol don't know many songs. been trying to learn more scales and arpeggios and such. can someone point me in the right direction? i love improvising but my knowledge of scales and such is lacking. i would love any links to recommended scales. arpeggios. and even theory... also if you people believe i should try picking up a song im willing to give it a shot. anything to further my ability as a guitarist. i am not picky about the genre. i just find it difficult to find a good scale to learn with out it being a 5 note scale that sounds like it was made on the spot by playing random notes and instantly said to be a theoretical masterpiece... if im too vague feel free to ask questions. again anyhelp is appreciated...
Just search for scales in the search bar in lessons. There plenty there. From your funky blues to metal pentatonics.
Learn the major scale and how it is constructed and harmonized.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
I wrote my lesson site especially for people who have been playing a while and need to fill in some gaps, find new sounds, or start a ground up approach to music theory on guitar.

http://lessons.mikedodge.com

Use the Beginner to Advanced Series for theory. Read the links in order!!! As one start where the other left off. And read them a few times, rarely does anymore read one theory book and 'get it' all...most of us read one over and over or read several that contain 90% of the same information. But definitely read them in order. A weekend spent with that series will open up a lot for you...I've been teaching this stuff for about 25 years now.

To take what you do today and take it to the next level check out the On Topic Tutorials. Each link is it's own lesson about a particular sound, style, scale, concept, technique, etc... If you're a rock player look at the Advanced Pentatonics, you'll never look at the fretboard the same way again...It's not your basic Blues scale lesson at all...this tutorial will open up huge avenues in your playing. If you're a modern rock guitarist (ala Satch, Vai) check out the Lydian Applications and learn a ton about how to get 'that sound' into your playing. There's also lessons for Jazz and even darker sounding Middle Eastern stuff.

Enjoy!
Last edited by MikeDodge at Jul 27, 2010,
Quote by zakarai
Just search for scales in the search bar in lessons. There plenty there. From your funky blues to metal pentatonics.

Please explain what a metal pentatonic is...
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
^Yes please do.

I'm kinda excited to hear this :-p
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
yeah i've looked up scales before and well some of them sound wack more or less... and well i guess i need a crash course on theory as to which scale fits where and what chords go well with it,,, and how to effectively use each scale... any good theory links? or should i just look up in the lessons section?
Lessons section.

My advice: Learn the major scale, it's diatonic chords. Then stop. Learn that like it's second nature. Seriously, spend weeks learning it and reviewing. Everything is based off of the major scale. The better you know it, the easier you can manipulate it to help you.
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"