i've got a question that bothers me for a long time. It sounds kinda stupid but i want to know.
Take a band like metallica or something. They record some riffs and create a song. but what do they do with recording. If they record a riff that is used 3 times or something in a song. Do they record the riff 1 time, and then copy/paste the riff 3 times in the song or do they record a song in one take? Is the fact that they can play a riff that sounds the same every time in the record skill or a editing trick?
the fact that i don't know drives me nuts so please help with this stupid question
I think it's Metallica or Iron Maiden one of those two that record all the songs live because "it'd lose some of the crunch if it wasnt" or something to that effect. That and it'd be a mastering hell they said. (I'm not a fan of either).

You have valid reasons for both techniques, i guess it depends on the person or on studio costs. Personally if i was totally happy with how it sounds in headphones and through speakers and it wasn't like a harder ending/beginning/riff so on then i'd just paste in little bits.

But say take Muse - Unnatural Selection, the ending i wouldn't paste in - i'd be playing it hard as possible in a different recording because that's when it's needed, it's meant to be more crunchy.

Anyone can play a riff perfectly a number of times given enough practice! Granted, it depends on the riff. I think sometimes for studio it's recorded then it's 'polished' up with noise suppression and dampening of switching.

It's fine, it's been asked many times in fact, i still think about it even now. I like to pretend there is no studio magic because then you're constantly chasing perfection.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by ryaniomitch
they just play it straight through and then if they fk up then they can over dub it

I don't think this is true.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Some bands record the entire song at once with all members, where as you get some that multi track. Like I can record drums, then guitar another day and just put them together using some music software. Some bands are that lazy enough to record a chorus once, or a riff once and repeat it.
Quote by Anthony1991
I think it's Metallica or Iron Maiden one of those two that record all the songs live.

It's Maiden, for the record
JordanFlayer uses:

Fender and Yamaha Guitars
Ernie Ball .11-.54 Strings
Marshall and Peavey Amps
MXR Pedals
Fender Medium Picks

Number 45 of the Iron Maiden are Gods club- 'PM Revelations to join

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/map /

i think from a producing perspective, its easier to play it through and record it rather than copy and paste?

whenever we record we play it all the way through and keep going til we get it good enough. So im sure they play it all through and multi track that shit!
Is bad ass one or two words?
Depends what sort of thing you're going for, I always prefer to track in sections, like I'll track the verse, chorus and solo all separately, but I always play each section, for example I'd always play each separate chorus. This way you can focus more on particular sections in my eyes. I guess theres the time management thing too, some people can play with their band straight out and get everything spot on, but others it could take days for them to get the right sound. Remember with single track recording if one note is wrong you have to redo everything.
Quote by wokandmurrys
i think from a producing perspective, its easier to play it through and record it rather than copy and paste?

whenever we record we play it all the way through and keep going til we get it good enough. So im sure they play it all through and multi track that shit!

We usually record each individual instrument with a click track all the way through. I think it depends on the song though.

For the record I think badass is one word.
When I do it I record the different parts over and over (Cubase can do that automatically) then I just pick out the best bits and glue them together. I find it's quicker than recording the whole thing again and it's easier to manage.
it depends on the band and it depends on the song. some bands will only record straight through, other bands will record everything riff by riff (or even riffs in sections).

i typically record in sections. tracking all the way through and staying perfectly with the click is damn near impossible. sure i could record the section i messed up on again and punch it in, but its easier to just do sections.

as for copy paste, i do that too. if the first two choruses are supposed to sound exactly the same and i have a great take, why not paste it again? it doesnt work if the song is supposed to be building or something, but there is a time and a place it can work.

so basicly, the only rule is to do what works best for that song. sometimes it is playing straight through, sometimes it is tracking in sections, sometimes its a combination of the two.
Quote by Anthony1991
It's fine, it's been asked many times in fact, i still think about it even now. I like to pretend there is no studio magic because then you're constantly chasing perfection.

there is no such thing as 'studio magic'. if you record something, and it sounds crap sure you could try and polish it up, but at the end of the day, you cant polish a turd.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.