Page 1 of 2
Website is in the making but behold some of moi creations!

I love the idea of custom gear and so kind of take it to the extreme - I've never been thrilled with any pic I've played entirely so I started my own thing with these and it's going strong Have yet to have a bad review.
They are pretty, but what makes them better than regular picks?
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Fairly sure people will class this as advertising..? To make my post more relevant, I like the look of them but I bet they're rigid as hell, which isn't to my personal liking
Say no to drugs, but drink is good...
Quote by -MintSauce-
Does this not mean they cost about £4 per pick? Also, isn't MOP pretty prone to shattering?

exactly what I was thinking.
Quote by Casually_Spoken
Fairly sure people will class this as advertising..? To make my post more relevant, I like the look of them but I bet they're rigid as hell, which isn't to my personal liking

It's a gear build. He made them himself. Just like people are making their own guitars and amps and shiz.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Jul 26, 2010,
It's pretty, but I highly doubt the lasting power of these picks, that'll probably cost as much per pick as a whole pack of high quality regular picks.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Quote by Shinozoku
It's a gear build. He made them himself. Just like people are making their own guitars and amps and shiz.
What about his user name and his opening line 'Website is in the making'? lol

TS I have nothing against showing off your stuff, but if you venture on the wrong side of free advertising you will be banned

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I like rigid picks and I like how they look, but I was also under the impression that they would chip/crack easier.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
They look pretty but Id never use one, Ill stick to my Ultex Jazz IIIs. These would make good necklaces though.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
I suppose some of those could be used as weapons..i mean really who would guess someone would use a pearl guitar pick to attack someone?

I guess I could use one to attack a few of my guitars' strings, but I still think it'd be a better weapon.
name? "Pearlpicks.com"
"Website is in the making"

and your signiture?

"Hand Made Mother Of pearl guitar picks:

www.pearlpicks.com"

this is CLEARLY advertising. *REPORTED*
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by Gakbez
They are pretty, but what makes them better than regular picks?

The tone, it's more than just the material, the angles involved on the pic provide a much shaper tone than typical picks.

Quote by maggot9779
They look too rigid to me. I like a little movement in my picks

They are very much so - they can be made thin but not flexy.

Quote by -MintSauce-
Does this not mean they cost about £4 per pick? Also, isn't MOP pretty prone to shattering?

I do charge quite a bit (around £10) but they are expensive and time consuming to make and most of the Pearl is from Vietnam which is quite a pain...

Quote by Shinozoku

Thank you and precisely.

Quote by CustomAxe
It's pretty, but I highly doubt the lasting power of these picks, that'll probably cost as much per pick as a whole pack of high quality regular picks.

I have been using the same pick for months, Mother Of Pearl tends to last a fair bit longer than regular plastic pics...

Quote by Absent Mind

TS I have nothing against showing off your stuff, but if you venture on the wrong side of free advertising you will be banned

I'm showing my custom gear to the forum, I've never seen custom picks around before and that's half the reason I'm doing this - to start something new. Yes, any post with a product made by one's self that is for sale may be deemed advertising but if that's not allowed, then sorry, I'll keep something which I think genuinely quite interesting to myself on this website.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
I like rigid picks and I like how they look, but I was also under the impression that they would chip/crack easier.

Nope. I have one kind of Pearl called 'Paua' which is very thin - it can withstand guitar playing tension (such as a .1 string on a 27" Low B on a 7 string tested...) but will snap if you try hard enough. Besides that I have never had anyone have a pick of theirs snap nor any of my personal ones. It's not brittle enough, the only time that's happened to me is when I was using a different brand pick which was made from Glass...
Last edited by Pearlpicks.com at Jul 27, 2010,
Just like to say for the people reporting this guy, his user name and sig don't mean anything in terms of the rules, just because his post is shocasing the picks he's made it doesn't mean he's advertising for his website, if it gains his site a bit of heat that's fair enough, bu this is showcasing what he can do.

Hell I advertise two records I suggest that people buy in my sig, does that mean I'm always advertising and I should get reported for every post?!

Also, you get people, such sa Ormsby, making threads about their products that are going to be sold for profit, and sometimes within that thread asking if anyone wants to buy said product, surely that's a lot clsoer to advertising, yet they get away with it fine.

Anyway, these look nice, I too would be a bit concerned about how they'd last considering at times I can be a bit of a hard hitter, but yeah, they're looking nice.
Last edited by Punk_Ninja at Jul 27, 2010,
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Just like to say for the people reporting this guy, his user name and sig don't mean anything in terms of the rules, just because his post is shocasing the picks he's made it doesn't mean he's advertising for his website, if it gains his site a bit of heat that's fair enough, bu this is showcasing what he can do.

Hell I advertise two records I suggest that people buy in my sig, does that mean I'm always advertising and I should get reported for every post?!

Also, you get people, such sa Ormsby, making threads about their products that are going to be sold for profit, and sometimes within that thread asking if anyone wants to buy said product, surely that's a lot clsoer to advertising, yet they get away with it fine.

Anyway, these look nice, I too would be a bit concerned about how they'd last considering at times I can be a bit of a hard hitter, but yeah, they're looking nice.

Thanks Mr and concerned? I almost feel like sending you a free sample where I know this is not a legitimate concern (no offense). As said, I use mentally large/high tension strings and test my picks on such (My Ibanez 7 = 27" scale and I use a .1 on the B, a .070 on the E... my Conklin is 25.75 on the low end and that's got a .11 on the low Bb and a .09 on the Eb...) I've tested each of my different shells/blanks on them very, very hard before I decide it's sell-worthy. The ONLY kind of shell that is a touch brittle is Paua and that has still taken an utter thrashing on the above string tensions before I decided, yep, that's good enough to sell. It's not even the material though in Paua's case - it's just that it's very hard to get hold of much thicker than it's very thin shell form. (Avatar = Paua as are all the picks on the right hand side on the first 3 pictures and the pick on the left in the last picture).
Hmm, nice picks... not sure whether to report this as advertising...
seeing as your username is pearlpicks.com I'm gonna say it is... but not really since you actually seem intelligent... I think my brains are going to explode.

if only there were a "kind of reported but not really but it's advertising but kinda isn't button"

EDIT: I should say that I didn't report you. you're alright with me I geuss
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

When the world slips you a Jerffrey...

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
Last edited by velocigecko at Jul 27, 2010,
any chance of some sound clips comparing the tone with these picks to a normal tortex/plastic pick?
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Pearlpicks.com
I'm showing my custom gear to the forum, I've never seen custom picks around before and that's half the reason I'm doing this - to start something new. Yes, any post with a product made by one's self that is for sale may be deemed advertising but if that's not allowed, then sorry, I'll keep something which I think genuinely quite interesting to myself on this website.

Either that's a bunch of bs or you just dont have eyes

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480426&highlight=picks

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459641&highlight=picks

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1332333&highlight=picks

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1212928&highlight=picks

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1174356&highlight=picks

take your pick (no pun intended)

I don't use picks but they look pretty cool
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
Quote by Comrade Curry

Are you being serious? The first link = to make your own picks seemingly as cheaply and briefly as possible and the second link refers to a paper pick? I'm not going to waste my time clicking the rest. I am into making a progressive product, something that with every time I play, I am thinking on how I can make better/questioning is this the best? I'm not into do-it-quick or how-cheaply-can-I-pull-this-off? (Though I'd not complain if the MOP suppliers lowered their prices...) it's ALL about the tone and secondarily the looks as a bonus.

Quote by Tguitarplyr182
i dont like em

they just looks like they wouldnt be fun or easy to play with

You have never played them so I'm not sure how you could judge that... on looks? What if I told you (they aren't but) they're all plastic normal picks with vinyls on them for image? Image is secondary to what is/the tone they produce. How fun something is to use I think depends more on one's ability...

Quote by killcram187
I don't use picks but they look pretty cool

My fav non-pick piece 'o music - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2CH8EzM5M0

And to the person saying about a clip, good idea, but I think everyone'd accuse me of playing harder with my picks as the volume/brightness of MOP is quite a bit higher than that of plastic picks. Check the quotes on the Facebook page.
Quote by -MintSauce-
FYI, he said they LOOK like they wouldn't be fun or easy to play with.

He's making a judgement based on observations

An aesthetic observation isn't really the best thing to judge something you can't see is my point FYI. I never said he'd implied he's used one, that's precisely my previous point...
even if I decided I'd use a pick, would they stand up to the 135 gauge string on my five string bass.
so far the only plucking instrument that hasn't broken while playing was my right thumb
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
Quote by killcram187
even if I decided I'd use a pick, would they stand up to the 135 gauge string on my five string bass.
so far the only plucking instrument that hasn't broken while playing was my right thumb

I think size and tension are being confused here - tension would be the thing (if anything) that'd stop a pick/make it snap, not the size of the string, and as previously stated, I use a .1 on a Guitar of 27" scale (thus more tension) for the Low B (7 string) and that is some serious tension and that is how I test my picks 'won't-snapability'. Paua is the only one that's a bit too thin but even this takes the test, though if one tried with their hands hard, they could snap it (Only Paua). The shape of the pick lets it glide through the strings thus when someone thinks they're playing quite hard the pick is probably still at very little risk of snapping. Paua is only one type of shell, I've also got white MOP, Gold MOP, Black MOP, Silver with pink tints, Green with blue/pink tints and all these I can make as thick as one'd need. Paua's just a bit too nice to stop using...
Last edited by Pearlpicks.com at Jul 28, 2010,
pick tone really isnt that big of a deal, its not gonna make that big of a difference.

and i shall say what i want

im sticking to my wedgie and tortex .73's

people who care about what "tone" their pick makes are crazy, its how you play, not what pick your using.
^ the pick you use can actually make a pretty big difference. go play with your fingers, then a plastic pick, then use a coin. they all sound very different.
Quote by Tguitarplyr182
pick tone really isnt that big of a deal, its not gonna make that big of a difference.

people who care about what "tone" their pick makes are crazy, its how you play, not what pick your using.

Brian May, Me, jof1029 and countless other guitarists want a word with you.
^ + 1. Is your location refering to the Muse song? \m/ One of my favourite...

Quote by Tguitarplyr182

Hmmmm, well I guess it depends how much you're into detail... perhaps to you picks don't make *that* much difference... nor cables... nor string guages and tensions... and then maybe you draw your line at pickups, amps and guitars, which yes, make the MOST difference, but to say it's no big difference is just naive. This quote sums it up quite well:

"Your strongest product is only as good as it's weakest link."

I guess I'm crazy then, though I'd rather that then mediocre. It's how you play AND what pick your using AND what strings your using AND everything else, your sound is a sum of every little detail.
Last edited by Pearlpicks.com at Jul 28, 2010,
No offence, but I wouldn't waste my money on MOP picks, I think it's just a gimmic TBH. I love the feel of my blue gator grip picks and I wouldn't change them for anything, especially something that looks like it would constantly slip.
Quote by jof1029
^ the pick you use can actually make a pretty big difference. go play with your fingers, then a plastic pick, then use a coin. they all sound very different.

okay yah i can understand the difference between those. but between picks?

honestly? is a $10 MOP pick really going to make the big difference thats worth the money between it and a 25 cent pick from anywhere else
^^ I believe so and the high price isn't saying 'these are better than everything else so here's my price'... I used to sell them for about £3-4, it's because the time, effort and money the materials cost all equated to me making bearly any profit on something which was taking up quite a bit of my time. I've actually have previous customers say they didn't know how I was making money on such and were thus glad I put my prices up for my sake. I respect it's not for anyone but to say they don't make much difference is plainly naive.

Quote by maggot9779
No offence, but I wouldn't waste my money on MOP picks, I think it's just a gimmic TBH. I love the feel of my blue gator grip picks and I wouldn't change them for anything, especially something that looks like it would constantly slip.

Again, your saying something based on looks... I'm not saying you can't have an opinion but to call it a gimmic is a bit laughable, it is a finer detail then say the difference between using a practise amp and a tube head + cab, yes, but as I previously said, strongest point is only as good as the weakest link... so I want ALL my links to be at their best. Under distortion it is harder to notice the difference then clean of course but there is still a huge difference in tone, again, I think it just depends on how far people are willing to go to get the ultimate tone. In regards to grip I do something on some of mine I call a 'shell grip' where I leave an imprint for the thumb on the back of the pick and thus have a 'valley' on the back of the pick, the edges being shell, the middle being the MOP. Also sanding the back with more corse sand paper giving it a scratched up feel for more grip but I've personally not needed these 2 features, I guess some people hold picks lighter than others, it's all relative

For another example - many people seem to be happy buying standard packs of strings, so did I until someone suggested this (personally I think string packs = a compromise) - I buy all singles to find the optimum guage for every string, note what guage I have and then decide to go lighter of heavier depending on what string it is and how much bending I need to be able to archieve on each given string.

I make my picks easy to play as that tends to be what everyone wants but I'm not actually about 'easy to play' with my own gear, it's all about tone to me. Super sharp pick + stupidly heavy strings = harder to play with, BUT, it sounds better so that is what I do; personally, I think music should be about how good it sounds and not about how many fingers feel.
Last edited by Pearlpicks.com at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by Pearlpicks.com
Are you being serious? The first link = to make your own picks seemingly as cheaply and briefly as possible and the second link refers to a paper pick? I'm not going to waste my time clicking the rest. I am into making a progressive product, something that with every time I play, I am thinking on how I can make better/questioning is this the best? I'm not into do-it-quick or how-cheaply-can-I-pull-this-off? (Though I'd not complain if the MOP suppliers lowered their prices...) it's ALL about the tone and secondarily the looks as a bonus.

Dude theyre picks, get over yourself, nobodies gonna buy something they can buy cheaper when there probably is no real tone differential between plastic or MOP, even you yourself acknowledge they're expensive to make
Last edited by Comrade Curry at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by jof1029

+1

And that is why we get so many what pick threads.

Edit: I just made myself an abolone pick and an MOP pick and tried them head to head against a purple dunlop tortex pick (not sure what thickness the purple ones are) and there is a very noticeable difference between the shell and the tortex. Both shells were significantly quicker on the attack and sound more like metal picks. I happen to know that the shell doesn't cut into your strings like metal picks do so there may be something to this. I have no idea what the lifespan of a shell pick is but if you are using metal picks and cutting up your strings like there is no tomorrow then these may be a reasonable alternative.

For those of you using standard nylon and plastic pics and don't know where tortex sits in the tonal spectrum... Tortex is brighter than nylon or plastic.

Your pick isn't something that is going to change your tone much if you are using tones of gain, but if you play clean, or acoustic then it can make a difference.

While I agree that this thread wasn't well thought out, given that there was no tonal comparison, I can see the logic behind having picks made from MOP or shell as long as they can last.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jul 29, 2010,
Quote by Absent Mind

While I would never spend that much on a pick (cause I'm poor, mostly play bass, and play with alot of effects that kill such tone differences anyways...) I like this idea. I like the pics, and there IS a market. Especially for rich middle-aged to older men who play accoustic guitar, and for people who want that metal high-pitchedness. (Don't. Just don't.)

As far as the advertising? Chill... He didn't post a pricelist. Didn't link to his website so you could order them. Didn't tell you that he could ship some to you if you give him your credit card number.. It's on the border, but no more advertising than anyone else who makes a documentary on here of an instrument to be sold. He didn't even say a price until someone basically asked.

Also... Saying pics have nothing to do with tone? Wtf... How is it even a newb like me knows that that's remedial, and you guys don't? LIFE should have given you enough experience by now to know that it should make a difference... Now, does that mean it's worth the price? Depends on how much money you have and why you want it. But it sure seems like it'd make a hell-of-alot more difference than a nitro finish or half the other things people freak about.

BTW: props, TS. Nice gear. Only thing is, a different user name might have been wiser. Less advertise-y, wouldn't have attracted so many "haters" (^), and then, it would look more like you plan on posting other projects up on this website (which I hope you do).
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Last edited by Tone Deaf at Jul 29, 2010,
I agree that the pick does make a difference in tone, I'm almost tempted to hit up one of those Jazz III shaped white MOP picks cause they look so awesome, but alas, I'm saving for up and coming build crap.

The guy makes alot of valid points, but picking does differ from person to person, I myself have an insanely light picking hand and use .09 or the equivalent of them for all my guitars.
Quote by Tone Deaf

BTW: props, TS. Nice gear. Only thing is, a different user name might have been wiser. Less advertise-y, wouldn't have attracted so many "haters" (^), and then, it would look more like you plan on posting other projects up on this website (which I hope you do).

+1. Nice idea, but i hope you don't plan on retiring off it.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Page 1 of 2