when should I replace my battery for the EMG's? it has had the stock battery in since I got the guitar in February last year so when should i replace the battery? and should i just do it myself or take it to a shop?
cheers
Jus buy a 9v, and put it in. Even the biggest retard can do that.
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
PRS Custom 24
SX Strat

Peavey 6505+
BUGERA 333XL
Laney LA412 Cab
Marshall AVT100 (Living at my friends place :P )
You should know when you need to replace them.

They'll start sounding like dying dinosaurs.

They have a really long life though, and if you don't play that much, then it's not impossible for them to still have some juice.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
When you are not playing it do you leave the cord in the guitar? If so, this drains the battery. ALWAYS unplug the guitar cord from the guitar after playing. They recommend changing it everytime you change your strings. I change mine every 6-8 months. I am using 81/85 pickups
Change it yourself. Just take the cover off pop the battery out and put a new one in. Just be careful with the connectors.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Last edited by JohnnyNash at Jul 26, 2010,
emg say they last about 80-90 hours before they need a battery change, and it also depends how long you keep a cable plugged in, you should be able to tell as they should start sounding different and then eventually will not work, and it's easy to change the battery, all you have to do is remove a panel and switch the battery
Quote by JohnnyNash
They recommend changing it everytime you change your strings. I change mine every 6-8 months.

Really? You're either wasting batteries, or waiting way too long to change your strings IMO.
Quote by britishsligean
emg say they last about 80-90 hours before they need a battery change, and it also depends how long you keep a cable plugged in, you should be able to tell as they should start sounding different and then eventually will not work, and it's easy to change the battery, all you have to do is remove a panel and switch the battery
Wait...what? You mean days cuz that's like less than a week..
I hate supersized Kartoffels
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
EMG's are supposed to last 3,000 hours per battery.

Exactly.
I hate supersized Kartoffels
Quote by Concat
Really? You're either wasting batteries, or waiting way too long to change your strings IMO.

Not really, I just play alot. If you read the whole reply you will see I replace mine every 6-8 months. Didn't mentioned anything about when I change MY strings. But if you need to know I change strings every 2 months. This would probably average out around 150-200 hrs. of playing. Is it needed? Probably not, but It's only $3 to change. Most people waste more than that on a pack of cigarettes.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
You should replace yours right now. EMG user manual recommends changing them twice a year, for the average guitar player. If you play through an amp alot though than this might change to 4 times a year at least.
"...You in the jungle baby...you gunna die"

Mar Geayuh -

*Jackson DKMG, (Floyd Rose)
*Zakk Wylde Cry Baby
*Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
*Boss DD-3
*Fender Amp
Yeah I'd definitely recommend changing the battery for EMGs maybe once every 4-6 months if you play a lot. 3,000 hours is well over a year, but when the battery begins to die, your EMG's will sound awful and it's just nice to keep a new battery in there to prevent corrosion, a short or some other electrical problem.
Quote by Concat

Personally I only change my strings every five-six months... My sweat is apparently very mild because they don't even go black. Plus, I've never broken a string since swapping to EB.
I'll second that. EB makes great strings. I wish I could find some Electro Harmonix strings They are a wee bit pricey on eBay.

I dunno, maybe I'm the one who's crazy, but 6 months seems a long time to go without changing your strings. I do it about every 2 months I'm guessing. If anything I just enjoy cleaning my guitar up and having fresh shiny strings
Quote by shredhead777
You should replace yours right now. EMG user manual recommends changing them twice a year, for the average guitar player. If you play through an amp alot though than this might change to 4 times a year at least.

Who doesn't play thru an amp?
First: Always replace stock batteries when you get your new toy home. Even with expensive, high quality products, manufactuers often ship items with cheap batteries, prone to both failure and possible breakdown.

So always buy new batteries with your equipment.

Also, if you play a lot, take a look at rechargeable lithium ion 9v

I have 2 guitars that take 1 9v each and a bass that takes 2 9vs.
I also practice A LOT!! so I go through them pretty quick. May have save about $100 over the last couple years
Quote by OliOsbourne
Who doesn't play thru an amp?

I play mostly late night, so I often practice scales unplegged. Is it right? No. That's why I get a horrible tone everytime I play with my band

I bought my guitar a year ago, but I think that the guitar was already 6 years old acording to the manufacturer's catalog... SOOOOO maybe I should change them :/

If the guitar has the original battery, ****ing hell they last long

Actually, when a battery is in, lets say, controller during years without using it, the liquid inside the battery comes out, and it's really intoxicating for what I know
Last edited by Diego Carnero at Jul 22, 2015,
They do last a very long time, a couple of years. I would replace the battery as soon as I get a new/used/refurbished guitar. And then, well, I've replaced the battery once in 3 years in one of my guitars so far.