and they said hold your nose and if you get ANY nasal sound at all that it means your technique is partly wrong? is this true? should you have literally NO nasal sound at all (when you pinch your nose shut with your fingers)?

for example I'm singing The Long and Winding Road, and when I hit the "and still they lead me back to the long winding road"

I have no nasal sound at all, except for on "me" and "winding"

and whenever i say anyword starting with an "n"

it's not really nasally i can see how to make it really nasally when i'm pinching my nose and make my voice sound all nerdy and everything, and when I sing normally, I feel some vibration air in there on THOSE words, but it's minimal.

So what I'm asking is, is it really something to strive for to eliminate ALL nasal sound from your singing voice? even on certain words which seem to require it?

thanks
My username is old, don't judge me (but old 311 is good)
Quote by BabyWantABottle
I cannot stand the long and winding road.

I used to feel that way, but McCartney's voice on it just brought me in, and the melody's pretty beautiful...it's a bit stock/cheesy or McCartney by numbers a bit i guess but other than that I'm a fan of it.
Last edited by Three11Rules at Jul 26, 2010,
I wasn't very fond of the song either. When I watched a McCartney DVD, I always skipped it.
But when I got the privilege to hear Paul play it live, I sang along before I even noticed it was The Long And Winding Road!
Very touching song. Especially live.

After the concert... still not very fond of it.
I have a slightly nasally voice. As far as I know it doesn't matter unless you want a pure tone for some kind of classical singing. For rock or such nasally is fine. Listen to Billy Corrigan :P
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Yeah, a little nasal isn't a horrible thing. Everyone's voice is different, it's what makes every singer so unique! Just learn to use the "nasal-ness" and incorporate tastefully. Look at Bob Dylan. That man has one of the most annoying voices I've ever heard, but I'll listen to "Like A Rolling Stone" till my ears bleed.
Well I think sounds like "n" and "m" force you to use your nose, because no air is coming out your mouth when you make them.

Try doing a sustained N or M sound with your nose blocked, unless I'm weird your mouth will inflate like a balloon.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Jul 28, 2010,
Quote by whalepudding
Well I think sounds like "n" and "m" force you to use your nose, because no air is coming out your mouth when you make them.

nothing short of genius my good man
For rock music especially, you'll need some nasal tonality.

Here's something to keep in mind. When you ask someone about "singing" on the internet, you could be talking about many different things. Often, if it's an online article, unless they explicitly say otherwise, it's generally talking about completely clean, even classical singing. I don't think there are many people on this forum that are really THAT into classical music, or even pop music for that matter, so take that stuff with a grain of salt. To be frank, some of that stuff is not relevant to much of rock singing. This is even more the case if you happen to be into extreme metal vocals.
So...I haven't used this login in something like 5 years, but I had to post in this thread.

Nasal is definitely fine. It's all in how you use it, and what kind of voice a singer has.

In vocal lessons I found that, if 4 is like talking-like-a-robot nasal, and 1 is right at the back of your throat, the place where my voice resonates the best is at 3.5. My nose actually buzzes when I sing in that sweet spot. And that is the spot where I can fill a huge hall with my voice and have all my power. It acts like a "bell".

Using nasality right gives your voice a strength and backing to it. Too much and yeah, you'll sound like Bob Dylan, but just the right amount and you'll find your voice is the most resonant it can be.

So yeah, it's not to have no nasal sounds, but the right amount. Experiment moving your voice to the back of your throat then right up to the tip of your nose. Wherever you feel like your voice starts filling the entire room with the least effort, that's your sweet spot!
" Endless Sleep, So Peaceful"
-why?
I have a nasally voice when I sing or talk, and I know what you're talking about with the letter sounds. I'm french and speak it, and in our language you're suppose to sound nasally when you say the letter n, and that kind of stuff cares over when we speak engrish.

So I don't know really know what to tell you other then it isn't really a problem, unless you feel it's make your tone or singing worse in some way. Many singers for example Layne Staley, sang really nasally, and it became a signature tone for them.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?