I have been trying to play a few Muse songs with my band but I can't seem to get that signature sound. I use a Marshall MG100FX Amp and a Zoom G2.1u multieffects unit. Is there a different effects unit that I could use?
I'm pretty damn sure its your amp :p
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
On earlier stuff, Matt used a DSL, and on newer stuff, a Diezel. A Zvex Fuzz Factory will get you the screeching oscillation, but not many of the tones.

I'm gonna have to +1 "it's your amp".
Matt Bellamy uses an insanely complex rig. You could spend thousands trying to emulate it and still never come close to his sound because of his extremely unique playing style. Are there any particular songs whose sound you're trying to get close to? It might be easier trying to copy particular effects or types of distortion.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
A fuzz factory into the clean channel could get you some of the tones, but on it's own it won't get the subtleties. As GNR4EVER said, Matt's rig is stupidly complicated with very expensive amps, namely a Diezel VH4.

I get a pretty decent tone from my Screamer and a Toadworks fuzz on the crunch channel (I believe similar to the way Matt runs his) and should get a better one when I grab my factory, but I think you'll likely be needing a new amp to get the real tone.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Quote by Hidden Hippo
A fuzz factory into the clean channel could get you some of the tones, but on it's own it won't get the subtleties. As GNR4EVER said, Matt's rig is stupidly complicated with very expensive amps, namely a Diezel VH4.

I get a pretty decent tone from my Screamer and a Toadworks fuzz on the crunch channel (I believe similar to the way Matt runs his) and should get a better one when I grab my factory, but I think you'll likely be needing a new amp to get the real tone.

He uses 2 in his live rig
His rig is quite... diva-ish, for example there's a Dunlop rack wah in there just because he can have it, but he never uses it
Quote by JohnnyRainbow
Whats wrong with my amp?

Trying to get a Muse tone with an MG is like trying to go around a racetrack as fast as Louis Hamilton's F1 car in a corolla....it's just not gonna happen
well because the MG is voiced differently, is quite muddy and simply not high enough quality. Just because you have a guitar and an amp doesn't mean you can replicate a multi thousand dollar tone, sorry. Your MG is a Corolla, and a Diezel VH4 is an F1 car
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Jul 26, 2010,
Ah ok! I realise I cant completely replicate it but i was going for something like it. Thanks though! Is there an amp you would recommmend?
Quote by JohnnyRainbow
Ah ok! I realise I cant completely replicate it but i was going for something like it. Thanks though! Is there an amp you would recommmend?

Depends on your budget
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by JohnnyRainbow

The only amp that will get these tones is a VH4 with all the pedals and stuff Bellamy uses. These threads arent allowed anyway.
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Quote by TomG10-7
The only amp that will get these tones is a VH4 with all the pedals and stuff Bellamy uses. These threads arent allowed anyway.
Which part

He's asking what gear to use to replicate tone, not for settings.
http://www.haax.se/manualsite/index.php?unit=G2

Search for muse in the search box. you won't sound like Matt Bellamy but at least you can have some fun.
Ibanez RG1570 (06) LTD Truckster (07) Fender USA Standard Strat (97) Blackstar HT5s ,TC Polytune, SHO Clone, Russian Muff pi, EHX Small Clone, MXR Carbon Copy, Marshall Reflector, MXR 10 Band EQ