Hey guys,

I have decided to take up guitar while I am at college. I usually play bass (very poorly) and keyboard (almost as poorly) and cannot bring either to campus. They have no rules against acoustic guitars so I figured I would go that route. My budget is about $200 or less for a guitar. I have no guitar experience so keep that in mind.

Sorry if this sort of thing has been done before, but both search functions could not supply a thread with the proper information I need.

Thanks a lot.
<3 Beardfish

Quote by 'Leviathan'
I love you so much.

YAY!
Look at Yamaha, Alvarez, and Washburn.

Since the rule is specific to acoustic guitars, I would avoid getting one with electronics in it, as they may have a way of telling you that isn't allowed. Also, it will allow you to get a high quality guitar for the same price.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
Quote by iband48
Look at Yamaha, Alvarez, and Washburn.

Since the rule is specific to acoustic guitars, I would avoid getting one with electronics in it, as they may have a way of telling you that isn't allowed. Also, it will allow you to get a high quality guitar for the same price.

Seems like not getting an acoustic-electric would be a good plan.
<3 Beardfish

Quote by 'Leviathan'
I love you so much.

YAY!
Def. look at Yamaha, I'm actually taking my Yamaha to college in next month! Yamaha has really good quality instruments for the price.
Gear:
Alvarez Classical Guitar(don't know much about it).
Yamaha FG730S
Agile AL-2000 Black Cherry
Fender 25R Frontman Series II Combo
Quote by scfan919
Def. look at Yamaha, I'm actually taking my Yamaha to college in next month! Yamaha has really good quality instruments for the price.

I am looking into them for sure.
<3 Beardfish

Quote by 'Leviathan'
I love you so much.

YAY!
my two cents is to just be wary when it comes to yamaha;s

I may be in the minority but i have had two separate bad experiences with budget yamaha acoustics

because you don;t have a lot of experience with guitars my best advice is to ask a friend who does. I certainly can;t speak for your friends but i would be more than happy to help a prospective guitarist purchase his first guitar so as to avoid getting a lemon

I would also mention that we can throw brand names at you all day but in the end i think you should just try a bunch of guitars until you find one that you like and that feels good to you

and if you go the route of having a guitarist friend help you it will be that much less painful

one last thing, don;t be afraid of the used market

and one more last thing dont be afraid of off-brand acoustics either, I have a Jay Turser JTA-450Q/CET (which i believe they still make) they retail for like $150 and i have never played a guitar in that price range that sounded as good or was crafted as well
Quote by thegreatbuddha
my two cents is to just be wary when it comes to yamaha;s

I may be in the minority but i have had two separate bad experiences with budget yamaha acoustics

because you don;t have a lot of experience with guitars my best advice is to ask a friend who does. I certainly can;t speak for your friends but i would be more than happy to help a prospective guitarist purchase his first guitar so as to avoid getting a lemon

I would also mention that we can throw brand names at you all day but in the end i think you should just try a bunch of guitars until you find one that you like and that feels good to you

and if you go the route of having a guitarist friend help you it will be that much less painful

one last thing, don;t be afraid of the used market

and one more last thing dont be afraid of off-brand acoustics either, I have a Jay Turser JTA-450Q/CET (which i believe they still make) they retail for like $150 and i have never played a guitar in that price range that sounded as good or was crafted as well

I am having a friend who has played for 2 or 3 years (but is way better than his years would suggest) come with me. Problem is, he has next to no experience with acoustics so I think it may be a moot point.
<3 Beardfish

Quote by 'Leviathan'
I love you so much.

YAY!
its definitely not a moot point

he (hopefully) should know this but you are going to want to consider (among other things) the action and the intonation of the guitar and the same principles apply to the electric and the acoustic

the action is how close the strings are to the frets. Too close and you will have fret buzz, too far and it will be very difficult to play. Quality instruments have lower action without fretbuzz

the intonation is kind of hard to explain, but an example of bad intonation is my little brothers yamaha f325 which when all 6 strings are tuned perfectly to EADGBe will sound ok when an open chord is played but (terribly) out of tune when a barred chord is played. AN example of good intonation is when you can play chords and octaves at every position on the neck and they still sound in tune. (btw dont be put off if you dont know what open and barred chords or octaves are, google is your friend)
This thread is making me feel mentally handicapped when it comes to guitars.
<3 Beardfish

Quote by 'Leviathan'
I love you so much.

YAY!
Lol, don't worry about it dude.

Go to a few small local shops, ask what the guys would recommend in your price range, keeping in mind the brands listed above of course. Bring your friend, get him to play the guitar as well as he can, fret every single string all the way down the neck, listen for spots that don't ring out and listen for strings buzzing when you play them, those ar both signs that the guitar has either poor fretwork or are not set up well, which you want to avoid.

Eye the entire guitar, check for imperfections in the finish, detune the strings with the tuner heads and then tune them back up or get your friend to do it, make sure that the tuner heads have a nice smooth feeling to them (grab a nicer acoustic and do the same thing to the tuners on it, say a thousand dollar acoustic, you want the tuner's to act as close to that as possible.)

If a salesman is really pressuring you into one guitar then leave and go somewhere else or take time to make up your mind.

You should also really consider a tuner as well. If you have a laptop with a microphone they have tuners online that you could use over the mic for free (and are very accurate) but a guitar tuner will help you out alot.
I think I am stuck going to guitar center, so I doubt they will be helpful, as they almost never are. Thank for all the advice though guys, I honestly didn't expect much of a warm welcome.
<3 Beardfish

Quote by 'Leviathan'
I love you so much.

YAY!
It all depends, they have two guys at my local GC that are very helpful and friendly and give honest advice. Just kind of think of it as the mindset of buying a used car. Choose carefully and evaluate their advice with a grain of salt. Play the guitar for hours if you need to do so to make sure you're happy with it.
Uhh, stay away from yamaha imo. My first acoustic was a cheap yamaha and it's the worst sounding guitar i have heard in my life. the sound was so dull that it almost put me off playing guitar.
but then again, perhaps mine was one in a million.
Quote by izzeeeh
Uhh, stay away from yamaha imo. My first acoustic was a cheap yamaha and it's the worst sounding guitar i have heard in my life. the sound was so dull that it almost put me off playing guitar.
but then again, perhaps mine was one in a million.

What model was it? Yamahas are usually great instruments, assuming you don't go for one of those thinline pieces of crap.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
On public transport I furiously masturbate while trying to make eye contact with as many people as possible for as long as possible.
So I think I am getting to go just look at some guitars today. I will certainly look into all that you have said and take into account the important factors that have been listed here. I will post a link to what I decide to buy, whether it is today or thursday I am still unsure.
<3 Beardfish

Quote by 'Leviathan'
I love you so much.

YAY!
Hey just wanted to let all the people who helped me out know that today I am deciding to buy a Yamaha FG700S from guitar center. I went down last night to check everything out, and thanks for bringing Yamaha, and in one case this particular guitar to my attention.

I appreciate all of the help, and I am sure I will have non-gear questions from time to time when I will return to this area of the forums to find information. Thanks once again guys.
<3 Beardfish

Quote by 'Leviathan'
I love you so much.

YAY!
Quote by OctaVariuM8
Hey just wanted to let all the people who helped me out know that today I am deciding to buy a Yamaha FG700S from guitar center.

A perfectly reasonable choice. Enjoy it.

The FG700s could serve you well for quite some time to come. And if you do decide it isn't the right guitar for you, it's inexpensive enough and sufficiently well known that you'll have no difficulty getting rid of it on craigslist at little financial loss.

See if GC will give you a good deal on a hard case, along with the guitar. In a campus (perhaps dorm) environment, I think a hard case would be generally preferable to a gig bag.

Like I say, the FG700S should meet your guitar needs. Now you have to do your part, and learn and practice.
--
Michael