Page 1 of 2
Just wondering how long after you bought your first guitar did you buy your second as I just feel like I could do with an upgrade from my strat but then sometimes I'm like do I really need to :/

What makes you want to upgrade your guitar?

Thanks
It was a little over a year between my first and second. I haven't bought a new one since then though, and that was four years ago. I upgraded the pickups, so I guess it isn't really the same guitar.

I start wanting a new guitar when I play guitars that are better than mine. I've been playing my roommates Les Paul Studio and now my guitar just disappoints me lol.
Do you also have a squier? I upgraded from my Squier because I felt like I started practicing enough to warrant buying a better guitar. Like, I knew guitar was definitely something I'd be doing for a while, so I figured, might as well get a good one. Because frankly, squier's are only good for beginners.
I got mine about a year after I started playing and my grandma wanted to buy me one so i got a Schecter Hellraiser C-1

Edit: Oh, I upgraded from a BC RICH Bronze Warlock player pack.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
it all depends on how yu feel, if u think its time for a new guitar then go for it ha
it could depend on skill level or just the fact that yu want a better guitar
it took me about 2 years to replace my encore les paul with my epiphone g-400, it would have been a year but i didn't have the money, and it will probably be 4 years before i replace my g-400, even though i don't like it sometimes
Quote by Tanaboon
Do you also have a squier? I upgraded from my Squier because I felt like I started practicing enough to warrant buying a better guitar. Like, I knew guitar was definitely something I'd be doing for a while, so I figured, might as well get a good one. Because frankly, squier's are only good for beginners.

This is also how I feel tbh that's why I'm thinking of saving up and getting a new one :/

Quote by guitar_guy1216
it all depends on how yu feel, if u think its time for a new guitar then go for it ha
it could depend on skill level or just the fact that yu want a better guitar

It's a bit of both.
4 years to go from a Washburn something or other to my Les Paul Studio
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
I bought my first guitar in January of 2007, then my second in May of 2008. My third came in early December of 2009, followed by my fourth two weeks later.

After I secure funds for a car, I alrady have plans for two more guitars (an acoustic of some sort and an Agile seven string).
Quote by Tanaboon

Same here. I bought my second guitar just recently and I've been playing for about a year and a half.

I do like my Squire though (it's an affinity strat). The pickups aren't the greatest and the jack always gets loose, but I'm still going to keep it and use it for alternate tunings. People hate on Squire a lot, but they are good entry level guitars. I wasn't sure if I was gonna stick with it, so there's no way i was getting a 500 dollar guitar (not to mention the amp).

So I upgraded my amp first (this was what I was advised to do on here) and went and got a Schecter Demon (about $450) last week. My 3rd guitar purchase will have a bigger budget Maybe a Jackson... but I have long fingers/big hands so the necks on the Schecter are very comfy to me at this stage.
It took me about a year to destroy my Alvarez "starter" acoustic, and I replaced it with an Ovation Elite and a Washburn fretless acoustic-electric bass.

When I decided to get my first electric, I bought 2: a Dean EVO Special Select and a Dean Time Capsule Cadillac.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
First guitar in Jan 2009, second in May 2009. I started with an SZR720 then got a good deal on a prestige RG2620, so snapped it up as I was looking for a guitar with a trem.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
My first was a classical guitar. I got an electric about a year later, as soon as I could afford it. I was 12 at the time. My guitar teacher advised me to get an electric guitar ASAP.
I didn't really buy the first two that were a classical guitar as a gift and a squier stratocaster that my sister gave me. The first time I bought one myself was in 2008, an ESP-LTD KH-202. I had it 1,5 years but found a cooler one: ESP-LTD MMV-08F. I've had a huge GAS for another guitar again too bad (or maybe just good) the price is so high.
You see, it's a custom rhoads. So I'll keep my second one as long as it lasts before getting another one. But that's off-topic.
I hate supersized Kartoffels
A bit over six months. I got my First Act Electric guitar in early June 2007 if I remember right and I got an acoustic for Christmas that year. I wasn't playing my First Act much at all though.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Quote by Tanaboon
Because frankly, squier's are only good for beginners.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. There's a lot you can do to any given guitar to make it great. I happen to really like the Squier Classic Vibe strats. Granted, if you have a $50 beginner Squier that came in a pack, yeah it may not be worth upgrading.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
It took me about four months to upgrade from my first act strat to an Epiphone SG in april 2008. I got my 3rd, a cheap Jackson Dinky, in november 2009, and when my brother gave up on guitar to learn drums I got his Epiphone Les Paul Special II, Squier Bullet, and a Yamaha acoustic. Now i have 5 cheap guitars and a strong urge to clean house.
I'm getting mine by the end of the Summer which will b a bit over a year and a half.
[IMG]http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr253/tarman727/SigContestSig.png?t=1234067139[/IMG]
Jul 2007 1st Guitar - Iceman
Dec 2008 1st Bass - Mockingbird
April 2009 2nd Guitar - Rhoads
July 2010 3rd Guitar - Custom Destroyer(first build)
Acoustic was mom's from '78

Depending on if you get a starter guitar when you're a beginner will determine when your second comes, because those can only last you so long. I got something decent that I still play the most now. I average an instrument per year I guess.
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez Iceman IC-200
Jackson RR3
Epiphone FT-120
BC Rich Mockingbird Bass
Crate Blue Voodoo 60
Marshall 1960B
Markbass CMD 102P
Dunlop Original Crybaby
EHX Stereo Memory Man
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
Ibanez AF2
I did not buy my first, my first had been in the family for 12 years.

My second was bought for christmas 6 months afterward - Kramer Focus 3000

My second electric guitar was bought by me, a Harmony H-80 strat copy, for $10.00, with all the hardware in a pickle jar. I put it back together in first period at school.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
A year to get an electric after i started acoustic. then a year to get a hollowbody. then 4 months to get my gretsch pro jet....and now i have 9 guitars, 4 basses, and a mandolin. GAS is a serious disease...
I got a Fender Starcaster jump start pack thing for Christmas in 2008.

I got my Dean 6 months after I started playing, June 9th, 2009. I never touched the Fender after that. This was quite obviously, a far better guitar, even through a Fender SP-10.

Next Christmas, I "upgraded" to a Line6 Spider III 15

Then for my birthday, I bought a Peavey Bandit 112.

Then I got the C-1 Artist II 1 year, 1 month and 11 days after buying the Dean, July 20th, 2010. (wow, lol)
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Jul 26, 2010,
December 2006- My Squire Strat
June 2009- My 72' Telecaster Deluxe
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
Lessee.... I started out with a borrowed guitar for a while, then got myself a Cort starter-pack, and used that for about 1 1/2 years before buying my LTD EC-1000. Or, I got an acoustic for Christmas, about 1 year after the Cort, but the second guitar I bought myself, which is electric, was the EC-1000.
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

YouTube: more morons than Yahoo Answers and more hate than 4chan. It's the Internet's premier breeding ground of complete idiocy.
First a cheap SG copy,then upgraded after 10months to a Jackson RR24,it was a steal anyway
Blackstar HT5 Combo
Jackson RR24
Epiphone Annihilation V red

Loving guitar playing since;June'09
sept 1995 - first guitar (£30 acoustic from argos) age 5
sept 2002 - first electric (squire strat) age 12
sept 2003 - second electric (Cruiser weird shaped thing) age 13
june 2006 - Third Electric (Schecter Blackhawk) age 16
November 2006 - fourth electric (BC Rich KKV) age 16
sept 2007 - fifth electric (Jackson RX10D)
June 2008 - Sixth Electric (Epiphone Les Paul) age 18
July 2008 - Second Acoustic (Harley Benton Resin Body) age 18
sept 2008 - third acoustic (no name classical) age 18
Dec 2008 - Fourth Acoustic (Ovation Resin Body) age 18
June 2009 - Seventh Electric (Ibanez SAS36FM) age 19
July 2010 - Eighth Electric (Schecter V-8) age 20

depends on when i decide its necessary. at the end of it its my money, id rather spend it on a guitar than drugs

Sparxedit: forgot the one i sold

and i've now noticed that my eighth Electric guitar is an eight string. strange
i'm Ginger its fun
Last edited by Sparky-MMA at Jul 26, 2010,
Quote by Tanaboon
Because frankly, squier's are only good for beginners.

Any manufacturer can "catch lightning in a bottle" and produce a good guitar. Granted, its less likely for Squiers than a standard Fender...

But I know of a guy who was a pro- he was a fixture in a New Orleans blues band- and had been using his Squier & a cheap amp for decades...until they were destroyed by Katrina.

He had enough money to buy other guitars- and had done so- but when he gigged, the Squier was Axe #1. According to him, nothing else he owned had "the magic."
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I picked up my first guitar at the end of October '08, and ordered my second guitar in early July '09 but I never got it until the end of the month(or mighta been the very start of August, all I can remember was I was jamming when Dad came home from work after picking it up from the post office, and we spent a night fussing after we found the idiots who built it never soldered the pickups to the switch). I didn't really feel like I needed another guitar at the time, I just thought the ML shape(I got a Dean MLX) was awesome, and I'm a lefty, so a guitar I liked was a little hard to find(I've been trying to pick guitars by tone and not just looks now, but I still refuse to play Superstrats and Les Pauls unless nothing else is available). I haven't gone back to my first guitar since, albeit that could be because my first guitar was a ton, was a flipped righty with a Floyd Rose and had muddy pickups. =P If you feel like you want another tone/setup, I say go for it, no two guitar models are the same.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Let's see... My dad bought me a First Act starter kit in 2003 or 2004. Then I bought an Epiphone Goth G400 in 2007. And it's been pretty downhill from there. Since that Epiphone, I've owned:

Ibanez RG120
Dean Vendetta XM
LTD M-200FM
Epiphone Goth Thunderbird (bass)
Ibanez RG320QS
Douglas SIV-45
Assorted classical guitars that were all POS, until I got my
Yamaha CGCG101A
LTD V-50

Yep... I'm putting it on hold for now. I've made a resolution to never again buy a low end guitar. Saving for an LTD MH-1000 right now.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Tanaboon

I hate it when people like you go and say that. Squier actually makes some good guitars. I have the jagmaster, and after a quick set up it plays great, and sounds good too. Also everything from the classic vibe series is good too.

To answer OP I bought my 2nd guitar about 6 months after I got my first.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
i bought a squire affinity series strat in june 08 and i loved it and played it everyday like crazy so i started saving for one of those really cool high end guitars that every kid dreams about but since my parents saw my seriousness they suprised me and bought me my epiphone slash sig which i love to death then in march 09 for my birthday i got my valvetronix amp for a steal during a sale with some of the money id already been saving then during june 10 i got my gibson explorer and now theres a new bc rich mockingbird on the way for me im getting it for free to make a long story short the amp company said my amp was completly broken when it was just a loose input jack so they sent us a check for a new amp $585.00 but we can buy anything in the store lucky mee!
Guitars
Gibson Explorer
Takemine EG523SC
Epiphone Slash Signature Les Paul
BC Rich Mockingbird ST

Amp
Vox Valvetronix 100watt

Pedals
TC Electronics Ditto Looper
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Electro-Harmonix Freeze Sound Retainer
I started with a hello kitty strat I got from my sister(lol) and I used it for a long time and pretty much pimped it out by pretty much changing everything on it then I eventually bought my Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR like 8 months after since I got bored of the HK strat.
About 4 months,I got a squier strat and fender practice for christmas in 94 and my bdays in march so my parents used their tax return and got me a fender MIJ 50s strat ,a boss dr rythym drum machine and a 4 track recorder....by the summer I had a part time job and I started buying gear like crazy....those were the days
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
March 2009: Ibanez Starter Pack
February 2010: Greg Bennet Acoustic
March 2010: Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube Modelling Amp
August 2010: Second Electric(Still choosing)
[IMG]http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/rr253/tarman727/SigContestSig.png?t=1234067139[/IMG]
I purchased my first main guitar in Jan 2009, I bought the Epiphone SG400 Goth. I only knew a tiny bit about guitars like reading tabs and playing it. Over time now in July 2010 i was desperate to find a guitar with a heavy ass tone, so got the Ibanez RG7321.

If you can afford it, why NOT upgrade? No point not to unless the guitar you currently have is not far from quality to the one your thinking of buying. But as others who have replied before me, depends what your looking for in a guitar, i upgraded because i wanted a heavier tone.
Page 1 of 2