So me and my guitar playing friend were talking in the pub about sweep picking, when i mentioned i hated it.

I said i preferred string skipping. This got me to thinking though, could you incorporate the two together.

Now, i've been practicing this recently (my string skipping is fairly good while my sweeping needs some work because i didn't used to use it) and discovered you can actually string skip whilst you're sweeping if you put enough effort into it.

I couldn't find anything about this anywhere - does such a technique exist?! Can anyone point in the direction of someone who might already use it?

I will post clips of the sort of sound it gives you (sweepy with big intervalic jumps) once i get my actual sweeping up to scratch. Cheers!

Edit: I'm talking about, for example, full 6-string sweeps with perhaps the G string or G+B strings missed out.
Last edited by GilbertsPinky at Jul 26, 2010,
That's an interesting idea I personally suck at anything more than a 3-string sweep and I do like string-skipping- I may try string-skipping those lower strings and carrying on with top-string sweeps. Hmm..got me thinking now!
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Yes

Care to elaborate?

And i was talking about something like this:

------------------4-5-9-------------------------
---------------5---------5---------------------
---------------------------------------------
---------6-7---------------6-7-------------------
------7--------------------------7-------------
-5-9-------------------------------9-5-----------

I've searched for quite a while and can't find anyone doing this..
yes in avenged sevenfold, syn does that. its pretty cool and its failry easier than normal sweeping, yet it sounds more impressive
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood
if the elephant on the left is green, and the spider on the right is blue, what is in the middle and WHAT THE FUCK COLOR IS IT??

Quote by ThatGuy153à
Yo stop tripping, its just a Purple Bag'O'Green

i dont wanna melt in 2030
Quote by guitarscreams
yes in avenged sevenfold, syn does that. its pretty cool and its failry easier than normal sweeping, yet it sounds more impressive

Cool, you got any examples so i can look at how he does it?
Quote by guitarscreams

heres an example of what he does

|-----------------13h17p13-----------------------
|------------------------------15-------------------
|-------------12------------------14---------------
|---------15----------------------------------------
|-----12------------------------------12-----------
|-15--------------------------------------15-------
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood
if the elephant on the left is green, and the spider on the right is blue, what is in the middle and WHAT THE FUCK COLOR IS IT??

Quote by ThatGuy153à

Quote by guitarscreams
heres an example of what he does

|------------------------------15-------------------
|-------------12------------------14---------------

sorry if im spamming but if you wanna here what it sounds like its at the end of "thrashed and scattered". go check it out, you should learn the whole song if you like them cuz its a really fun song to play
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood

Quote by ThatGuy153à

oh and dont forget its played in drop d(D,a,d,g,b,e,)
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood

Quote by ThatGuy153à

^No i meant as in actual songs so i can check them out for myself? No offence but lots of tabs on this site are wrong so i'd prefer to check out the songs myself, but i don't listen to A7X so i wouldn't know where to start. Any examples?

EDIT: Nevermind ^^
Quote by guitarscreams
sorry if im spamming but if you wanna here what it sounds like its at the end of "thrashed and scattered". go check it out, you should learn the whole song if you like them cuz its a really fun song to play

According to my ear, the covers on the internet, and all the 5* tabs, that song isn't skipping strings whilst he's sweeping...
umm...i tabbed that out and when i tab something its perfect. but the song is "thrashed and scattered" its at the end of the song.
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood

Quote by ThatGuy153à

Quote by guitarscreams
umm...i tabbed that out and when i tab something its perfect. but the song is "thrashed and scattered" its at the end of the song.

I've listened to the song...he's not doing that. In fact, you even got the name of the song wrong, apparently.
ok ill get the tab from my tab book.

and heres what they said
|----------------------------------------------------
|-------------12--------------15-14---------------
i was one note off dude
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood

Quote by ThatGuy153à

Syn also does it coming up to the solo of MIA,
repeated licks.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by Nameless742
Syn also does it coming up to the solo of MIA,
repeated licks.

you see gilberts...he does do it like that
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood

Quote by ThatGuy153à

Quote by guitarscreams
you see gilberts...he does do it like that

agreed paul gilbert's got a video on this I'm sure.

I have the CoE tab book too, and it is that.
However the tab book is NOTE for NOTE, but the way it's played might be different or easier your own way.
I've already retabbed a few licks so I can play them
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
In Which I replied.
Last edited by Nameless742 at Jul 26, 2010,
String skipping in sweeps already exists, I can't think of anything off the top of my head that uses it. There's probably something by Jeff Loomis (or Nevermore) with string skipping sweeps though.
If you type in "string skipping sweeps" on youtube without the quotation marks, you get a ton of results, including some songs which include string skipping sweeps.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Anyone who says this "technique" sounds different or is easier to pull off is talking out of their ass. String skipping and sweep picking are both generally used to achieve the same thing: fast, non-ringing arpeggios. String skipping "added" to sweep picking would require to stop your motion mid-sweep and pick it up later in a gesture that demands extreme precision to be successful, and for a sound that's essentially identical to sweep picking—since all you're doing is delaying the downstroke to one further string.
The more you say 'epic' the less it means.
Yes. Look up the band "Oh, Sleeper". One of there songs incorporates a 3 string string skipping sweep.
Hmm i think everyone but Aleksi misinterpretted me....

I'm not talking about mixing them together i'm talking about keeping the sweep motion going without stopping but going over a string - example, take your G string off. Now do a sweep which incorporates every string. I've never heard or seen it done anywhere, so i wanted to know if it existed. I shall check out the mighty Loomis cheers.
I'm 99% sure that Loomis doesn't do that and I like to think I know a lot about his playstyle. Anyway, having to go over a string mid-sweep means having to change (and therefore, stop) your motion, no matter how you slice it. Not only that would be unnecessarily difficult to pull off with accuracy, it puts you at a much greater risk of injury.
Quote by Dynamight
I'm 99% sure that Loomis doesn't do that and I like to think I know a lot about his playstyle. Anyway, having to go over a string mid-sweep means having to change (and therefore, stop) your motion, no matter how you slice it. Not only that would be unnecessarily difficult to pull off with accuracy, it puts you at a much greater risk of injury.

You're wrong.

It can be done with a fluid sweeping motion - i know because i'm doing it.

Slow down, like really slow, sweep in one continuous motion, as you come to the G pull your pick away from the string as slightly as possible in order to avoid that string.

Push it back towards once you're away from the G.

If you can do this comfortably enough i'm pretty sure a certain amount of speed could be built with it.

And, it doesn't matter what sort of 'motion' it gets - as long as you keep your sweep movement consistent it will sound the same as sweep picking - because it is. And that's the main thing right? The sound?
I've never tried that before, i'm gonna give it a shot right now.
Gear:
Epiphone Special II
Jackson King V
Traynor DG30D
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss Metalcore Distortion
Boss Phase Shifter
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by GilbertsPinky
You're wrong.

It can be done with a fluid sweeping motion

No, it can't. A down/upstroke, a lifting motion—as slight as you can make it—and another up/downstroke count as 3 motions. If you can pull it off fluidly, good for you, but it's still putting a lot of effort into something that can be done in more efficient ways.

Quote by GilbertsPinky
And, it doesn't matter what sort of 'motion' it gets - as long as you keep your sweep movement consistent it will sound the same as sweep picking - because it is. And that's the main thing right? The sound?

Actually, yes, and that's my whole point. If it sounds like sweep picking, then why not just do sweep picking, which is easier?
Quote by Dynamight
No, it can't. A down/upstroke, a lifting motion—as slight as you can make it—and another up/downstroke count as 3 motions. If you can pull it off fluidly, good for you, but it's still putting a lot of effort into something that can be done in more efficient ways.

Actually, yes, and that's my whole point. If it sounds like sweep picking, then why not just do sweep picking, which is easier?

Because the sweeping motion will give it the fluid sound of sweep picking, whilst allowing you to attack bigger intervals like when you string skip, but without the string skipping sound. Some of which is horrendously hard to do when you've got tiny hands like me - if you've got big hands maybe you can get the big intervalic stretches - i for one can't so i'm experimenting. And it can be done - i'm doing it. I may go away and wood-shed this one for the next 6 months just so i can prove you wrong.
What I don't get is if you're doing it with even timing then surely "missing" the string will require a difficult combination of accellerations and decellerations.

Why not just do what Marshall Harrison does - hit the string in the middle and just mute it. Like an economy picked stroke but hitting a dead note in the middle?
I'm still really confused by exactly what you mean, when I think about string-skipping-sweeping I tend to think of licks like Santiago Dobles from Aghora might use:

e|---------------7h10h12p10p7---------------
b|------------------------------------------
g|--------7h9h12--------------12p9p7--------
d|------9----------------------------9------
a|-7h10--------------------------------10p7-
e|------------------------------------------
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
like this then ya noobert.

Take this C major sweep

e--------------------12-----------------------
B----------------13-----13------------------------
G------------12-------------12------------------------------
D---------14--------------------14-----------------
A------15---------------------------15------------------------------
E--------------------------------------------------

and do this with it?

e--------------------12--------------------------
B----------------13-----13-----------------------
G---------------------------------------------------
A------15---------------------------15--------------

someone also suggested you just mute these notes

e--------------------12--------------------------
B----------------13-----13-----------------------
G--------------x--------------x-----------------------
A------15---------------------------15--------------
In Which I replied.
Michael Angelo batio does it with tapping. Except it's all legato. Look up one of his videos on YouTube he has it. Even if you hit the string and deaden/mute it you might as well sweep because think about it, it would be off timing. If you skipped it and didn't pick the muted string you would be practicing for awhile... I I've been doing these but what I do is play it all legato. That's my advice and MAB does that way.