Hello, my friend has given me his guitar to try to fix, it's an Ovation, not sure of the model, it says Ultra series though.

The problems are the action and intonation, the action at the nut is fine, but the further towards the bridge you go the worse it gets

As for the intonation, the 12th fret harmonic is in tune with the open string but the fretted note is quite a bit sharper.

I haven't really got any experience with acoustic bridges so I don't really know how to fix any of this.

Any help would be much appreciated.
To lower the action on the bridge end, you must file the slots deeper at the bridge. FYI, it works the same way at the nut as well, thought you dont need to in your case. Do it in very little tries, as you can put any material back, and could get left with a annoying buzz.

As for intonation, you could always get a compensated saddle. Acoutstic's aren't meant to have perfect intonation either though.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by metalwarrior40
To lower the action on the bridge end, you must file the slots deeper at the bridge. FYI, it works the same way at the nut as well, thought you dont need to in your case. Do it in very little tries, as you can put any material back, and could get left with a annoying buzz.

As for intonation, you could always get a compensated saddle. Acoutstic's aren't meant to have perfect intonation either though.

Couldn't you just take the bridge off then sand the bottom part down so you don't completely mess up the bridge by filing the slots deeper?
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
with ovations i believe there are some pegs in the bridge which can be removed and subsequently lower the action
I had thought about filing the saddles down, but the strings are 7mm off the last fret, even if the saddles weren't there at all the wooden base of the bridge would be keeping them at least 5mm off it.