So my brother wants to start learning bass and i offered to find him being that i know more about them and such (im a guitar player ) im sure he needs a 5string being that he plays more 5 string stuff. He listens to metallica, A7X, ACDC, Guns'n'Roses and that kinda thing. He told me he might wanna through some more drum and bass stuff in there too -.-
his budget is £400 so any ideas would be helpful

thanks
I honestly have to say that the Behringer amps are among the worst purchases you can make as a bass player. You'll end up having to replace it within a year, and the quality even before then is terrible (imo).

I reccomend either an Ibanez SR200 or a used Squier Vintage Modified as the starting instrument. They are both extremely versatile and comfortable to play, and some bassists around here even continue to use them throughout their careers.

I absolutely love the Roland Bass Cube, it's a phenomenal little practice amp. You could probably find a pretty cheap used or even new Hartke or Peavey practice amp, where I vouch for their quality.
My Instruments:
MusicMan S.U.B. 4
Ibanez SR500
Peavey BAM 210
Gallien-Kruger MB115 Ultralight
DigiTech Bass Whammy
Not one of the bands you listed use a 5 string except for in like 2 of Metallica's albums.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Bassist Rising
Not one of the bands you listed use a 5 string except for in like 2 of Metallica's albums.

right you post is just negative, i know this and that is what i told him and that is why he wants a 5 string, start on one so you can play all songs you want and dont ever have to make a transition between the two which can be awkward. So please dont come into here and post something only negative
Quote by Tedis1111
right you post is just negative, i know this and that is what i told him and that is why he wants a 5 string, start on one so you can play all songs you want and dont ever have to make a transition between the two which can be awkward. So please dont come into here and post something only negative

What he said wasn't even negative, he was just pointing out that a 5 string wasn't used in the examples you listed.. good information is hardly something to get upset about .

Yamaha makes very versatile basses that are affordable and good quality for their cost. Stay away from Behringer amps. Other than that advice, go out and have him try them himself. Advice from other people is only going to help so much.
Gear:

Fender Jazz
Spector Legend Custom 5
Yamaha BB415

Fender Bassman 400 Pro
we really cant offer much simply because most of the "playing bass" is personal preference.
that being said i can give you this bit of advice. the LTD B-105 is not that great of a bass,and can tell you from personal experience that ltd's have really bad fret leveling problems.
IMO squier's are a better starting point especially the vintage modified series. for the amp you can grab a fender rumble 100 for 250 bucks USD.
Quote by Alucard817
we really cant offer much simply because most of the "playing bass" is personal preference.
that being said i can give you this bit of advice. the LTD B-105 is not that great of a bass,and can tell you from personal experience that ltd's have really bad fret leveling problems.
IMO squier's are a better starting point especially the vintage modified series. for the amp you can grab a fender rumble 100 for 250 bucks USD.

i know this cos i just assume its the same with guitars, asking for help over an online forum isnt the best way i know :L but we took a trip to GAK and the only 5 string in his price range was a Ibanez around £250. I guess i just wanna know whats good quality and whats good for his style of music