I'm currentley writing some songs for 7 string guitar in drop G tuning (GDGCFAD).

But I'm worried that my 5 string bass might sound too muddy in drop G (GDGCF).

I'd obviously use very thick strings but I'm still not sure if I'm over stepping the low tuning mark.

Meshuggah's lowest string is in F and only -2 semitones away and their bassist plays a 4 string tuned up 1 semitone as I assume a bass in F standard an octave down would sound like an earthquake.

Anyone had any experience with this tuning on bass who can give me some advice? or should I just tune up a semitone or 2 to save the hassle?

P.S - I play progressive death metal/jazz, so I use this tuning effectively, im not using it just for the sake of having a really low tuning. cheers
At that end of the low spectrum, it's also a question of weather or not your amp/cabs can project and handle those frequencies.

It's definetly doable. But "sounding good" is kind of a multi-level'd thing.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Effective EQing and playing will mop up the mud, as it were.

+1
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
My band ussually plays in drop A flat, with 7 strings, and a 5.
and my bass sounds pretty clear, as long as you have a decent amp, and play with the EQ a bit, you'll sound quite clear.
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)