I've been working on building an electric guitar of my own design for almost a year (off and on). I've had to figure out how things work as I go along, and one thing I can't figure out is dual output jacks.

Is there a way to set up a guitar to send the exact same signal to two separate amps?
I've been looking at just splitting the signal and installing two jacks, but would this burn out the components in the guitar?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Wouldn't it be easier to just use an ABY box? Like this?
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
You want two output jacks on your guitar?!?! So you can plug each into separate amps? xD
You'd have to drill two holes, which would be kind of a hassle. They make tons of pedals for this sort of thing.

Lehle products.
Quote by zakarai
You want two output jacks on your guitar?!?! So you can plug each into separate amps? xD

Yeah, what a crazy idea. One of the premiere instrument manufacturers in the world is stupid for thinking of it.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Linkerman
Wouldn't it be easier to just use an ABY box? Like this?

That may be so, but my intent is to have everything I need IN the guitar already. Haha

And to ASJerrell, No, it really wouldn't be that big of a hassle, seeing as I've already built most of this guitar from scratch anyway. Haha.
You can just run wires (output and ground) to each jack from the same point you would have for one jack. There is absolutely no problem in doing this.
Quote by _LoveFuzz_
You can just run wires (output and ground) to each jack from the same point you would have for one jack. There is absolutely no problem in doing this.

This wouldn't overload any internal components?
Just look up the wiring diagram for a Ric and copy the stereo design. There's probably even a stereo mix knob so you can send one pickup to each amp (if there isn't , you need to design that!).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Just look up the wiring diagram for a Ric and copy the stereo design. There's probably even a stereo mix knob so you can send one pickup to each amp (if there isn't , you need to design that!).

Sounds a pretty interesting idea. I definitely would like to see/hear that.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Wasn't the stereo design when the neck goes to one, and the bridge goes to one?

Otherwise don't you need to have some kind of buffer to send the same signal to two amps? Because if you don't then you'd end up with uneven signal due to the difference in resistance. I may be wrong though.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Quote by AntiG3
Wasn't the stereo design when the neck goes to one, and the bridge goes to one?

Otherwise don't you need to have some kind of buffer to send the same signal to two amps? Because if you don't then you'd end up with uneven signal due to the difference in resistance. I may be wrong though.

I wonder the same thing. What kind of buffer would you suggest?
with the rickenbacker stereo, the neck pickup goes to one amp and the bridge goes to another. but that doesn't mean you couldn't redesign the system somehow.

Also, the rickenbacker stereo thing works strangely - not "one output for one pickup and one for the other" the way you might think. It has a mono output which works like a normal guitar, and a stereo output which requires a "Y" cable which is a stereo jack at one end, but splits off into two mono jacks - if you have cables plugged into both outputs, you get no sound

This is how gibson's old stereo wiring (ES-355 etc) worked too - the reason it had 1 output jack is because they didn't give you a mono option but a lot of people just rewired it for mono.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Ric-o-sound for the win!
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Quote by _LoveFuzz_
No, all the electronics in a guitar are passive. No power.

I was looking at Rickenbacker schematics, and I found this one.

It seems to be what you were suggesting, just two mono jacks, receiving/sending the same signal. Is this correct, or am I reading this wrong?
Quote by james_kant
I was looking at Rickenbacker schematics, and I found this one.

It seems to be what you were suggesting, just two mono jacks, receiving/sending the same signal. Is this correct, or am I reading this wrong?

It would appear you are right but that's very different to the system that my '78 rickenbacker 4001 has which is this:

one jack works normally - it's a standard mono 1/4" jack plug.

the other is a stereo jack plug, which sends the signal from the bridge pickup through the standard "tip" connection of a jack, and the neck pickup through the additional "ring" connection on a stereo jack. The function is to use a stereo splitter jack to send each pickup to a different amp.

I'm no expert on wiring and schematics though. they may have changed the system since, too.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by _LoveFuzz_
No, all the electronics in a guitar are passive. No power.

Come on now stop fouling the issue with facts!!
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Blompcube
It would appear you are right but that's very different to the system that my '78 rickenbacker 4001 has which is this:

one jack works normally - it's a standard mono 1/4" jack plug.

the other is a stereo jack plug, which sends the signal from the bridge pickup through the standard "tip" connection of a jack, and the neck pickup through the additional "ring" connection on a stereo jack. The function is to use a stereo splitter jack to send each pickup to a different amp.

I'm no expert on wiring and schematics though. they may have changed the system since, too.

The schematic I found is closer to what I want than any other I've seen.
I'm not looking to wire my guitar for stereo output, but actually a sort of "dual-mono" output. That is, both pickups' signals going to both jack, therefore both amps.
Quote by james_kant
The schematic I found is closer to what I want than any other I've seen.
I'm not looking to wire my guitar for stereo output, but actually a sort of "dual-mono" output. That is, both pickups' signals going to both jack, therefore both amps.

I know, i was just describing the way my rickenbacker works, in case for some reason that schematic works like the stereo system in mine... although i don't really see why it would. but i wouldn't know

I hate to be a buzzkill, but it would be way easier to just use an ABY box. It's really not that big of a hassle, and it's doing the same exact thing as you're describing. Having two cables running out of your guitar can cause a big mess of cables, as opposed to having them run on the ground.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Dosent PRS do something like this using Piezio or whatever?
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
this, on the other hand, can be way useful...

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Offworld92
I hate to be a buzzkill, but it would be way easier to just use an ABY box. It's really not that big of a hassle, and it's doing the same exact thing as you're describing. Having two cables running out of your guitar can cause a big mess of cables, as opposed to having them run on the ground.

this is basically what linkerman said on the first reply

The benefit of having an ABY box means not only do you retain having 1 cable coming from your guitar instead of 2, but you also can run a stereo rig with any guitar and not be limited to the one you've essentially built a "Y" box into.

Quote by Blompcube
this is basically what linkerman said on the first reply

The benefit of having an ABY box means not only do you retain having 1 cable coming from your guitar instead of 2, but you also can run a stereo rig with any guitar and not be limited to the one you've essentially built a "Y" box into.

I am drastically modifying a Squire Stratocaster with the sole intent of putting as many options and possibilities in the guitar ITSELF, minimizing my use of boxes and pedals. And though I do appreciate the suggestions of an ABY box (I hadn't really looked at them, but now I might get one anyway. ), building a Y box into my guitar is exactly what I'm trying to do.
Call me crazy, but that's what you get from a 16 year old wannabe luthier. Haha.

Quote by Offworld92

..running two cables out of the guitar does not bother me at all. Haha.
Last edited by james_kant at Jul 27, 2010,
Quote by jj1565
this, on the other hand, can be way useful...

That five pin output is also on a old record player I needed to hook into a stereo receiver. I found cable that fitted which had to jacks on the other end. One for the left channel and one for right I guess. I don't anything about the wiring involved but maybe you could get something similar which could do the trick?