Neck heavy or 'neck diving' guitars as in when you're standing up while playing and you let go of the guitar the headstock takes a dive
Sg
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Quote by backtothe70s
Sg

DAMN IT!!! that is exactly the one i'm about to buy
Pretty much every Explorer I've played, regardless of what company made them, uhh that Ibanez Xiphos or whatever its called. Went to play my mates and the neck just dropped haha Is there a particular reason for this thread, like you want to know what not to get or something?
My rig: ESP Eclipse II --> bulk amount of pedals --> Orange Rockerverb 50w
dean ml's

being neck heavy really isn't a bad thing. it can take a while to get used to but after a while you stop noticing it
SG's and my Dean Vendetta 1.0 is a bit neck heavy at times, if i hold it angled up slightly its ok if horizonta, it takes a dive but if i use a suede strap then it's fine at any angle, just currently i have a nylon one on there. so i suppose its the strap too, if you have a suede strap that grips to your clothes then it's fine whereas a nylon strap slips all over the place.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Buy an SG, the neck is so heavy for the body you can't even wear the strap as loose as you possibly can.
Quote by theFACEdude
Pretty much every Explorer I've played, regardless of what company made them, uhh that Ibanez Xiphos or whatever its called. Went to play my mates and the neck just dropped haha Is there a particular reason for this thread, like you want to know what not to get or something?

yeah i want to know what not to get because my Epiphone Futura and BC Rich Ironbird ltd. were both neck heavy and it will end up crashing to the floor as well as I don't like the weight it puts on my fretting hand
Quote by Creeping_Kwano
dean ml's

being neck heavy really isn't a bad thing. it can take a while to get used to but after a while you stop noticing it

That's a lie. They're extremely balanced. I've never played an unbalanced ML or RB.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
That's a lie. They're extremely balanced. I've never played an unbalanced ML or RB.

in my experience guitars without an upper 'horn' have neck dive but i want to know of the guitars with upper horns that still have neck dive
Quote by ibanezgod1973
epi eds1275

Haha thats funny but i'm not sure why have a Waldo

Quote by Dempsey68
SG's and my Dean Vendetta 1.0 is a bit neck heavy at times, if i hold it angled up slightly its ok if horizonta, it takes a dive but if i use a suede strap then it's fine at any angle, just currently i have a nylon one on there. so i suppose its the strap too, if you have a suede strap that grips to your clothes then it's fine whereas a nylon strap slips all over the place.

This.

I use a suede strap with my SG and there's enough friction to keep it from dipping.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Last edited by Jazz Funeral at Jul 26, 2010,
I lot of Deans that i've played had quite a bit of dive to them. i think it's cause of their ourageously large headstocks.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by Jazz Funeral
This.

I use a suede strap with my SG and there's enough friction to keep it from dipping.

Thanks a bunch for the info, have a Waldo stack:

^^Thanls, I was fresh out of Waldos.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
ibanez xpt700 xiphos....
My Guitar Rig:

> '09 Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue w/ DiMarzio John Petrucci Set
> ESP LTD V-50 Black
> Line 6 POD X3 Live
> Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Any Epiphone SG (Gibson models normally balance well) comes to mind as mentioned, though Gibson models tend to balance fine. A number of low end BC Rich guitars neck dive too. In fact, any lower end guitar that is a funky shape (Warrior, Rhoads, various Rich models, the Xiphos, etc) tend to neck dive due to the fact their bolt on neck and (often basswood) bodies. Despite their thin bodies, a lot of older Ibanez Sabers tend to balance pretty well though.
If you find a guitar neck diving just get a wider strap. On an SG you can always move the strap button to the end of the upper horn. I have never found the Explorer to be neck heavy but that is just me.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Bhaok
If you find a guitar neck diving just get a wider strap. On an SG you can always move the strap button to the end of the upper horn. I have never found the Explorer to be neck heavy but that is just me.

where exactly do you mean by the end of the upper horn?
Quote by Somekid94
I've heard that V shaped guitars are neck heavy too.

Every V I have played was pretty well balanced. Remember reading some crap on the internut does not make it fact.

The following statement is true.
The preceding statement is false.
Bhaok

Quote by Ma-hog!
where exactly do you mean by the end of the upper horn?

Look at a SG face on neck pointed to the Moon. The right horn is the lower when in playing position and the left is upper..........this is not rocket science boys n girls
Bhaok

jackson RR's
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
Quote by Bhaok
Every V I have played was pretty well balanced. Remember reading some crap on the internut does not make it fact.

The following statement is true.
The preceding statement is false.

actually i have a lend of my mates jackson king v and it has terrible balance issues
Quote by Bhaok
Look at a SG face on neck pointed to the Moon. The right horn is the lower when in playing position and the left is upper..........this is not rocket science boys n girls

no do you mean put it like it is on a strat or on the back of the guitar near the horn
the sg makes every other guitar feel like a perfectly balances samurai sword.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Any style of guitar can be neck heavy and any normally neck-heavy guitar can become balanced. It all comes down to where you place the strap buttons/locks.

Think of the strap buttons as a divide which separates the guitar into front (usually neck) and back (usually body) portions. If one of these portions is heavier than the other then the guitar will naturally swing downwards at that end. To get the guitar to balance, you want both portions to be of equal weight. You start off by putting the rear strap button in the middle of the back of the guitar's body and then from there, work out where the mid-point of the guitar is in terms of weight; where both portions are equal. That is where you need to put the front strap button to make the guitar balanced. If you put it further out, the guitar will be body-heavy and rise upwards a lot. If you put the front strap button further back then the guitar will be neck-heavy and dive down a lot.

Guitar body styles that usually come with the front strap button placed too far back, resulting in neck-dive are SGs, Firebirds, Explorers, Flying Vs, Stars, reverse Stratocasters, double cutaway Les Pauls, Ax, Mickingbirds and many other ''extreme'' styles which lack a forward-facing top bout or have the strap button positioned far behind the neck.

Almost all of these can be made to balance properly. It is just a case of finding how far forward you can place the strap button. On Firebirds, Explorers and other guitars hich don't have an upper ''horn'', this usually means plaing the strap button at the heel of the neck itself. In the case of Firebirds and Explorers specifically, it can also help to move the rear strap button forwards as well, behind the body rather than on its side.
With guitars which do feature an upper ''horn'', placing the strap button on the tip of that usually fixes any balance issues.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by DLXJRVO
Epiphone Les Paul
What the buggery are you on about?
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Douglas WR-340, its a great guitar but every 10 seconds I was having to pull the neck back up. I even put it on a roller to test it and every time i let go of the neck the guitar would sit almost perfectly horizontal. ------------