So there it goes. Been playing electric guitar for a year right now and currently think of switching to play bass guitar. Give me some good reasons to do that, as I am not yet fully convinced of doing that. What got you into playing bass, what's your motivation ?
Quote by adyhendrixc
Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No, but its sterile and I like the taste.
Last edited by Eklips at Jul 26, 2010,
Don't bother with other people's motivation, and if it requires another person to tell you why you should play bass, you shouldn't even consider playing bass. Pick one up, play it for a bit. If you find your own motivation, then that's the only thing you need.
i didnt even read your post, but if your trying to convince someone to play an instrument they dont want to then your an ass. Plus even if they do pick it up they will be totally unmotivated and be terrible at the instrument.
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

If your a good guitarist already, then i'm sure you can play bass. Theres been arguments about which is harder to actually play but I think bass is harder because you need to be really precise with the tuning and always on note with the rest of the band. I still think all together the drummer is most important though xD
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Don't bother with other people's motivation, and if it requires another person to tell you why you should play bass, you shouldn't even consider playing bass. Pick one up, play it for a bit. If you find your own motivation, then that's the only thing you need.

Well the thing is that I really do want to pick up bass guitar. Just that, if I will go on to bass guitar, I will have to give up on electric guitar. And since I already made a connection with that instrument, switching to a different one and giving up the time I spent with it will be very hard for me.

Come on guys, keep the ideas flowing ~
Quote by adyhendrixc
Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No, but its sterile and I like the taste.
Quote by Eklips
Well the thing is that I really do want to pick up bass guitar. Just that, if I will go on to bass guitar, I will have to give up on electric guitar. And since I already made a connection with that instrument, switching to a different one and giving up the time I spent with it will be very hard for me.

Come on guys, keep the ideas flowing ~

Why?
Just because you play bass, doesn't mean you forfeit all rights to play guitar. I play bass in one band, and guitar in another. For me, it's a mood thing. Sometimes I like the high-pitched scream of a guitar, and sometimes I like to feel that air moving from a bass, how everything shakes.
Arguing on the Internet is a lot like being in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded
First of all there is the dedication to the other instrument, and the fact that I might sell the guitar and amp I currently have to get myself money to get a decent bass and amp with a good enough tone. It's between getting a tube amp for my guitar or getting a new amp and bass, that is my dilema.
Quote by adyhendrixc
in my area bass players are very rare, so being a bass player provides better chances to get in a band
Quote by prizefighter211
My advice, don't switch if you don't have motivation. It won't be easy, just because it has less strings. "Anyone can play bass, but few people can play it RIGHT"

I am pretty aware of the level of complexity which the bass implies. All it takes is practice and some more practice.
Quote by adyhendrixc
I really wouldn't worry about dedication to an nstrument- I play 5 instruments on a regular basis to a good level whilst juggling full time work and a social life. I also wouldn't worry about the money side of things until you actually have items in mind.
Well, then, the ye old question. Could you recommend me a guitar and amp with a decent enough tone (think of Robbie Merril's tone from Godsmack) for like 350$ ? I don't mind going used.
Quote by adyhendrixc
An Ibanez GSR200 paired with either a Peavey MAX, an Acoustic B20, or a used Kustom KBA of some variety.

Another something, just to keep in mind. If you feel you have to sell guitar gear to fund bass gear, you can always keep the guitar and just play through the bass amp. It will sound just fine.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos

Another something, just to keep in mind. If you feel you have to sell guitar gear to fund bass gear, you can always keep the guitar and just play through the bass amp. It will sound just fine.

especially if you buy an orange crush which has an overdrive mode.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
"Convince an Electric Guitar player to play bass"

#1: Bass players have better grammar.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
do it cuz it rattles a girls clitoris into orgasam.
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
Quote by obeythepenguin
I'm guessing bass is one, so what are the other four instruments? I do bass, guitar, ukulele, and keyboards, myself (sometimes all in the same track), but I've mucked around with five or ten others, plus vocals. Bass is my main instrument, which no doubt explains why I own one bass and four or five guitars. What can I say -- I'm just weird like that.

I "switched" because I loved the instrument -- in the abstract sense, and more specifically, my Olympia. Quite a convenient coincidence that my friend's band was looking for a bass player. That was barely two months after I started, so I guess I must have picked up on it pretty fast...

Bass, guitar, keyboards, sitar and trumpet.
psh says you. as a guitarist who switched to bass, I am a bass player. I play both guitar and bass everyday and love both dearly, but the low end and rythm calls my name and inspires more creativity than my guitars do.
no sir away a papaya war is on
it just feels right at the moment. i've been in multiple bands, and what i play usually depends on the type of music, what instruments the band already has, what instruments i havent tried out enough, etc. i recently quit 3 bands to start a new 1, in 1, i was playing drums and sang lead, in another, i was playing drums and sang back-up, and in the last, i was playing guitar and keyboards and sang lead. now in my new band im playing bass and singing lead, its jut what feels right.
another thing to think abt is, what instrument do you want the most control over in a band? if you're guitarist is shredding a solo at the wrong time, just where it totally doesnt fit the song, maybe you'd want more control over that guitar, and you'll play that instrument instead. or maybe you want complicated bass-lines, you dont wanna be in a band thats just like "root note...root note...root note..." then if you want that control over the bass, be the bassist. even if you write all the songs, its important what instrument you play for the control, because there's always improvising. i write all the songs in my band on all the instruments, but the lead guitar can aways shred an improvised solo ad what am i supposed to do to stop him if we're in the middle of a show? and i could do some funky slap-bass to mix things up and who's gonna stop me? i couldnt write out a funky bass solo that lasts like 2 minutes long and expect another bassist to memorize it, i have to do that myself.
that should be all you need to know when choosing what instrument you wanna play.
Because bass is f'ing awesome.

That's why.

Any other question? :P
Equipment:
Ibanez GSR 205
Ibanez SWX35
Ibanez PD7 Phat-Hed

I also own a Cruiser bass... Even though I don't know the model.