So yeah, I'm not the best at theory.

I know basic chords and Grade 3 scales, and some arpeggios but I never remember them because I never use them.

I play mostly Hardcore and Metalcore and I go off to college (UK) in September and I'm worried I won't do too well because of my lack of theory. I did have lessons but stopped because I'm going to college in September and have a beginners book, and of course the internet to learn. What stuff is really important for me to get down, and is theory all that important as from songs I play don't really use chords like G and C for example.
Quote by Andrew/WK
songs I play don't really use chords like G and C for example.

No but they use variants of those chords. And at college you are expected to be able to solo over these 'simple chords' targeting chord tones etc. You will be expected to expand your repertoire, and they wont like it if you just say 'I only play 'core''

Id say learn the CAGED system, the notes on the fretboard (check the fretpro program), up to grade 4 scales and be able to use them in improv (know the intervals and note names in the scales too)
I would say, understanding scales, keys, rhythms, and basic harmony should give you a good start.

Also the best way to learn is to apply what you learned. So just start using it more often and it should become easier to memorize.
I'm a musician/composer before I'm a guitar player.

foREVer

R.I.P Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan.
I know the notes on the fretboard, and I have improvised over chords before (using 12 bar blues)
Quote by Andrew/WK
I know the notes on the fretboard, and I have improvised over chords before (using 12 bar blues)

Sweet

Just test your knowledge on it - make up things like: solo over a chord progression of D minor, c7, E minor hitting the 3rd on the chord change