I currently play a 4-string in Drop-C. If I want to switch up to a 5-string whats the best tuning?
Best... for what?
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
I would personally get some heavy strings and go with GCGCF.

You could also get some lighter strings and go with CGCFA#.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Why not just go standard 5 string tuning? BEADG. If you want, you could even drop that B to a C, and it'd still be decently tuned.
Actually you would raise the B-string by a half step to get C, which is perfectly possible, so I'd go with standard 5-string tuning, too.
Why not listen to my songs on my profile?
Quote by biga29

You could also get some lighter strings and go with CGCFA#.

That's what I'd do

The next 5 string I get will be tuned to C# as so: C# F# B E A
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I have two main tunings that I use for my 5 string.

Standard - BEADG
A Tuning - ADGCF

When I bought my K5 I never actually planned on using the factory tuning, but I've grown to love it now.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Bassist Rising
I have two main tunings that I use for my 5 string.

Standard - BEADG
A Tuning - ADGCF

When I bought my K5 I never actually planned on using the factory tuning, but I've grown to love it now.

Oh man, sorry for slightly hijacking the thread. But how awesome is the K5? I've been drooling over it for aages, never gotten to try it!
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

YouTube: more morons than Yahoo Answers and more hate than 4chan. It's the Internet's premier breeding ground of complete idiocy.
Quote by Kergash
Oh man, sorry for slightly hijacking the thread. But how awesome is the K5? I've been drooling over it for aages, never gotten to try it!

They are amazing, I'm thinknig about buying a second one for different tunings because I love everything about them. The neck is thinner than most of the other Ibanez basses, which is awesome.

Now, back on topic, you can tune your bass to anything you want, you just need to think about the music that you are going to play and which notes you are going to play.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
well with a 5 string you can play most drop-c songs without much tuning changes (ignoring the open c of course) but for my 5 string music man i like to drop the B to A for that drop A tuning (A E A D G) or drop the B and the E (tuning A D A D G) for fun sounds. also Bassist Rising has a good point that the tuning just depends on what music you want to play.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
If you want, you could even drop that B to a C, and it'd still be decently tuned.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010

Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by food1010

dropping a string by 11 semitones is more BRUTAL THAN F#!
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Why not just go standard 5 string tuning? BEADG. If you want, you could even drop that B to a C, and it'd still be decently tuned.

Are you crazy? You'd need insanely thick strings for that.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
Quote by gilly_90
That's what I'd do

The next 5 string I get will be tuned to C# as so: C# F# B E A

I'd recommend this tuning as well. With drop C I'm assuming you're playing some kin of deathcore or groove metal. Having your strings match up with your guitarists will make writing easier. Some people will tell you to tune your second string to C and use the low string for lower frequency notes. While you can get some beefy notes like this, when you're competing with downtuned distorted guitars I prefer using higher octaves to cut through the mix. You'll essentially have an extra fifth string for things like this, so it would work out well.
Well i dont know how to explain the music we play, if that really matters. We are waiting to get our recordings back. Maybe when that happens you guys could get a better impression of what im looking for.