So i changed my strings for the first time from stock strings to d'addario phosphor bronze medium's, and i had a really hard time changing them (it was my first time). i eventually figured it out and changed all the strings, except for the high e string that broke on me.
lucky i kept the high e stock string, and i just put those on again instead. so my question is this: is it okay if my other 5 strings (EADGB) are d'addario's and my high e string is still a stock string? will this set-up make the neck bend or anything, or in any way bad for the guitar?
It's not bad for the guitar, as long as they're all tuned to the same tuning, and sounds to me like you need to learn how to re-string a guitar. You gotta cut the string before winding it, and cut it with extra length on there then wind it from the tip of the string, and the extra slack will get wound tight.

Or you could always watch youtube vids, etc. etc.
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

It has worked for me on acoustic but there's a bit of a differance if you put it through an amp. It's hardly noticble.
Quote by NickGiovanni

Or you could always watch youtube vids, etc. etc.

yeah, i've watched many videos before actually doing it, to prevent myself from messing up. but watching and doing are very different things, and i still messed up =[.
after the string change and tuning it, the sound coming from my guitar was really weird. i don't know how to explain it, but something doesn't sound right. if i could, i'd go back to my stock strings. that's how bad it was. maybe the high e string's the reason? can i get a single high e string anywhere, so i can replace it?
Quote by oommggwwttff
So i changed my strings for the first time from stock strings to d'addario phosphor bronze medium's, and i had a really hard time changing them (it was my first time). i eventually figured it out and changed all the strings, except for the high e string that broke on me.
lucky i kept the high e stock string, and i just put those on again instead. so my question is this: is it okay if my other 5 strings (EADGB) are d'addario's and my high e string is still a stock string? will this set-up make the neck bend or anything, or in any way bad for the guitar?

This seems to be the best video I have found.

I use this method, but doing the first wrap (after doing the kinks and what not), I put the free end under the main string and then all other wraps go over it (like in the video.

This gives you a mechanical lock, because the coils clamp the end of the string so it cant slip.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
It's normal to mess up the first time. Generally I don't mess with knots or over/under tricks and I never have an issue.

It doesn't matter if you have a different string on but it might sound weird. I snapped a string the other day and put on a new one that was a different kind (just because I had it laying around) and it sounds weird to have one new string with a bunch of old ones. But no, it won't hurt it.