So all the ibanez prestige and signature guitars are made in Japan. So I was thinking where the non-prestige models like RG, S etc are made? I mean, is there any other guitar than prestige that is made in Japan? I need to know that really. thanks,
My Guitar Rig:

> '09 Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue w/ DiMarzio John Petrucci Set
> ESP LTD V-50 Black
> Line 6 POD X3 Live
> Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Indonesia for the cheapest ones and Korea for the intermediate cost ones.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
Some might have originated from the Los Angeles Custom shop.

Not too long ago some guy was asking what his ibby was, it was a prestige(I think) but it wasn't from Fujigen.
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
i doubt a intermediate guitar would of come from LACS, the stuff that comes from there is mainly for endorsees, your 1570 would of come out of the fugijen factory if made after 08
Nowadays the only Japanese Ibanez are Prestiges (which includes most signature guitars too)
Back in the days before the Prestige line (Pre 1998) most Ibanez were made in Japan, RG5** upwards.
I was asking cause I saw in a local shop many Ibanez guitars written Made in Japan behind the headstock, although they are not prestige, rather S or RG etc. Even I bought a XPT700 almost three years ago in which MIJ was written, I was so cunfused cause I know XPT are made only in Indonesia and there's no Japanese versions available. :|

Could it be the shop is trying to fool people by removing the original sign and then writing MIJ themselves? very fishhy...
My Guitar Rig:

> ESP LTD V-50 Black
> Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by metalter
I was asking cause I saw in a local shop many Ibanez guitars written Made in Japan behind the headstock, although they are not prestige, rather S or RG etc. Even I bought a XPT700 almost three years ago in which MIJ was written, I was so cunfused cause I know XPT are made only in Indonesia and there's no Japanese versions available. :|

Could it be the shop is trying to fool people by removing the original sign and then writing MIJ themselves? very fishhy...

some older models are made in japan that aren't prestige.

For example I have a Dt 155 from 84, and it's made in japan but not prestige

as for that XPT i think that might be a fake, that just sounds fishy
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Last edited by diofan88 at Jul 27, 2010,
Quote by metalter

Like I said, the Prestige line started in 1998, before that all their mid-high range guitars were made in Japan, but weren't Prestige guitars, because the Prestige line didnt exist then. Its most likely you saw a 1987-2003 S or RG that wasnt a Prestige but still MIJ.
was there any other factory apart from Fujigen? right now Fujigen is the only japanese factory, or am I wrong? my XPT700 had MIJ written, but serial number starting with the letter "I", and that was a 2007 guitar. That was fake I am quite sure.
My Guitar Rig:

> ESP LTD V-50 Black
> Line 6 POD X3 Live
Quote by metalter
was there any other factory apart from Fujigen? right now Fujigen is the only japanese factory, or am I wrong? my XPT700 had MIJ written, but serial number starting with the letter "I", and that was a 2007 guitar. That was fake I am quite sure.

As far as i know the XPT700 has been made in Indonesia since it was introduced in 2007.
Last edited by Sledgeman at Jul 27, 2010,
Quote by metalter

A fake XPT700? That doesn't seem very plausible.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by diofan88
Not too long ago some guy was asking what his ibby was, it was a prestige(I think) but it wasn't from Fujigen.

A non-MIJ Prestige might have been an S variant?
I have been told that a few Prestige models are made at Cor-Tec in Korea. Most are Japanese, though. The majority of the lower priced models come from Indonesia but I get the impression that production is often switched around from factory to factory.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Sledgeman
The S2170 Prestige was made in Korea.

Yeah, most S Prestiges were for a while. It's only recently that they moved production back home.
a lot of the lower-end ibanez's are made in china, and it seems as though chinese production is creeping up on the ibanez production line (as well as other companies). additionally, korean-made guitars are less prevalent as indonesia seems to be taking over a lot of the mid-priced guitar range.
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
korean-made guitars are less prevalent as indonesia seems to be taking over a lot of the mid-priced guitar range.

Which isn't a bad thing, I used to own a korean Ibanez SAS32FM. My Indonesian Ibanez RGR08LTD blew it away in terms of fit and finish. not the mention that the SAS32FM had one of the worst pieces of rosewood fretboard I've ever seen on an Ibanez.

Those Indonesian plants have been producing some good guitars the last 2 years, my mates rga32 is another fine example.
Orange Enthousiast.
why do they make life so complicated! i wanted an ibanez made in japan......i havent bought one coz i keep hearing about some being made in china, indonesia, korea. korean made guitars arent bad . i got the lp zakk wyld epi-plays good to me.

had some friends who bought the ibanez made in indonesia and they werent really happy - they said the guitar wasnt solid
Quote by TTC
Which isn't a bad thing, I used to own a korean Ibanez SAS32FM. My Indonesian Ibanez RGR08LTD blew it away in terms of fit and finish. not the mention that the SAS32FM had one of the worst pieces of rosewood fretboard I've ever seen on an Ibanez.

Those Indonesian plants have been producing some good guitars the last 2 years, my mates rga32 is another fine example.

i didn't say it was bad necessarily. although sometimes it takes awhile for production to come up to snuff. for example when i played some ibanez's made in Indonesia and they had some wiring problems right out of the box. (that was when ibanez first switched from korea to indonesia and i've played some indonesia ibanez's since and they have been fine and didn't have any problems).
All non prestige Ibanez's are now made in Indonesia I believe as Ibanez moved production from Korea to Indonesia.

That being said I have an older Ibanez S520EX from Korea and an Ibanez S670FM from Indonesia.

There are three differences really, and the only three differences. The maple or the finish of the maple on the neck is different. The s520EX has somewhat of a glossy finish on the back of the neck whilst s670FM has a smoother finish. The S520EX is slightly heavier than the s670 and has a more nasal sound, this however is most likely due to the maple cap on the s670FM. The rosewood is different on the fretboards though I have no preference between the two,both just feel different.

Overall the quality is comparable.

Soon however I will be getting myself an Ibanez S8570-HG J Custom made in japan so we will see how that compares to my other S series
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works