I've been playing an upgraded Epi Les Paul custom for a while now but while cleaning out a closet I found my old Westcoast Telecaster knock off, the guitar I learned to play on. After playing about with it an nostalgasming several times I decided that it was much nicer to play than my Les Paul and nicer than a lot of other guitars I've played.

The point is that while it does play really well, the electronics are seriously shite. The neck pup is muddy, the bridge pup is harsh and the output is really low. Also the input jack is so loose that the cable falls out. I often see threads (in the bass forum where I usually lurk) where people ask what upgrades can they do to their shitty starter and I often see people saying "don't bother, get a new guitar instead."

So is it worth upgrading the electronics? If not, why not?

(p.s. I was thinking about high output EMGs of some sort.)
if it plays good to you then of course its worth it
i personally wouldnt put emgs on it but to each their own
It's a matter of personal preference, If you truly love the guitar and think it's worth it? Then overhaul it. Replace the pickups with something you like, and as for the input jack, you can try tightening the bolts/screws and see if it helps, or just replacing it all together.

I took a low-end Ibanez that I got when I was a semi-decent player, and after falling in love with it, I customized the parts and electronics and made it the guitar of my dreams. And I'm perfectly happy with it.

Like I said, It's a matter of personal preference (and having money to throw at it, lol)
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

Of course it's worth it. Do you know how to solder? Do you have a soldering Iron? I wouldn't reccomend EMG's just because you may need to route and that's a pain in the ass. You can get even better passive pickups for the same price. So replacing electronics you'd be looking at buying this:
Pickups
Electrical Wire
Solder
Pots
Input Jack

Additional things you may want to buy:
Knobs
Pickgaurd
Switch

Other mods you might want to do (in order from easiest to hardest):
Strap Locks
Replacing Nuts
Replacing bridge or tuners
Refinish
Refret
Scallop Frets
Route and Make a semi-hollow body (i have no clue how but it'd be cool)
Go for it
I'm doing the same at the moment (though a bit more intensive)
I converted my old Yamaha strat to a 24-fret, scalloped the frets and reshaped the body, then refinished it. Just because I loved how it played
ohai little sig.
you can get guitar fetish pickups are like 30 bucks and from what i hear there really good for the money, thats what i plan on doing for my crappy ibanez starter guitar.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/pickups.html
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
If you like the neck and the frets are good, I'd go for it with some good used pups, or if you get good new ones you can always use them in a better guitar one day.
Thanks for the advice guys! I'll certainly rethink which pickups to get.

Everything about it is getting replaced apart from the bridge, neck and body.

And yeah, it needs a refinish!

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/profile_mojo_data/5/8/4/1/584163/pics/_c672898_image_0.JPG - Click if you dare.

Also, just two quick questions.

1. How would I go about removing the "Westcoast" logo? I'm no brand ***** but it might as well say "Peasant" on the headstock.

2. What's the best thing to treat dry rosewood?
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jul 26, 2010,
hahaha nice, wasn't expecting that color XD
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
im highly opposed to painting it, the semi reliced pink is gorgeous, grab your router, throw some emgs in her and call it a day
Gear
-----------------
ESP LTD B-104
Prehistoric Jay Turser P Copy - Custom Pickguard/Stickers
Jay Turser vintage series strat copy
Peavey NanoValve 30w
Boss DS-1