Hi guys, I've been trying to find a good distortion or fuzz for $100 or less, and I'm liking what I see of this. My only question is, is it versatile enough that I can get Muse tones out of it, and then also get sort of pop-punk tones out of it?
Thanks.
Sending a dummy to my God.

no idea. it's going to depend on your amp a lot. it's a good pedal though. you should check out the pocket muffs. their only like 50 bucks and you could get two.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I'm trying to get the same sounds. I have a Zoom G2.1u and with the right settings you can get pretty close. But I want to get the big muff aswell i hear its good. What is the Tone wicker part though?
Bottom line, you WON'T get a Muse-esque tone from a Big Muff. They're designed for more classic-minded fuzz sounds (think Smashing Pumpkins, QoTSA). You're going to want a distortion pedal, and I'd recommend:

+ Boss/Keeley DS1.
+ Ibanez TS9DX.
+ (Maybe) Boss Metal Zone?

*raises flame-shield*
| Call me Matt. | | I like music. |
Quote by Audioslave95
Bottom line, you WON'T get a Muse-esque tone from a Big Muff. They're designed for more classic-minded fuzz sounds (think Smashing Pumpkins, QoTSA). You're going to want a distortion pedal, and I'd recommend:

+ Boss/Keeley DS1.
+ Ibanez TS9DX.

*raises flame-shield*

What the ****?

90s/00s is classic now?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
What the ****?

90s/00s is classic now?

He means the more traditional fuzz sound
Quote by Audioslave95

+ Boss/Keeley DS1.
+ Ibanez TS9DX.

*raises flame-shield*

None of those is going to create a Muse tone. A Muse tone comes from using a Fuzz Factory. And for people who don’t want to screw around with a Fuzz Factory (they’re kind of nuts) a Mastotron will probably get pretty close without the crazy oscillation.
Quote by Audioslave95
*raises flame-shield*

You'll need it, your post fails miserably.

Quote by Audioslave95
Bottom line, you WON'T get a Muse-esque tone from a Big Muff.

Wrong.
Quote by Audioslave95
They're designed for more classic-minded fuzz sounds (think Smashing Pumpkins, QoTSA).

Wrong.
Quote by Audioslave95
You're going to want a distortion pedal, and I'd recommend:

Wrong. Although I agree you may be better off with an OD or distortion for the pop/punk part.
Quote by Audioslave95

+ Boss/Keeley DS1.
+ Ibanez TS9DX.

Won't get muse sound
Last edited by WtrPlyr at Jul 28, 2010,
Quote by WtrPlyr
You'll need it, your post fails miserably.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong. Although I agree you may be better off with an OD or distortion for the pop/punk part.

Won't get muse sound

you know your stuff
A Z-Vex Mastotron would indeed get you pretty close, although it depends which album you're trying to emulate.
Quote by Aidy Damage
A Z-Vex Mastotron would indeed get you pretty close, although it depends which album you're trying to emulate.

You have proof? I emailed mr zvex himself and he said they were completely different, then again he may be lying so I would get both...
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Touche.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
I'm happy with my big muff pi but I'm not sure it would really do what you want. I get a pretty cool tone for plug in baby when I try to play it, but it's not all that close to the original muse sound. But I don't think the rest of my gear is optimal for muse either so...

On the other hand, the big muff is definitely great for what I play mainly (Nirvana, Qotsa, EODM...), and if you switch off the tone, it can be used as an overdrive, it's definitely worth the money !
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
he uses the fuzz factory but im not sure how much that costs
Quote by '93
he uses the fuzz factory but im not sure how much that costs

I'm pretty sure he knows that already...but...
Quote by protest000
Hi guys, I've been trying to find a good distortion or fuzz for $100 or less, and I'm liking what I see of this. My only question is, is it versatile enough that I can get Muse tones out of it, and then also get sort of pop-punk tones out of it?
Thanks.

The Fuzz Factory, vexter version, is 180 bucks. Please do your research, and read the OP, before posting something (very) vaguely helpful.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'm pretty sure he knows that already...but...

The Fuzz Factory, vexter version, is 180 bucks. Please do your research, and read the OP, before posting something (very) vaguely helpful.

you're out to get me arent you?

he never stated that he knew what bellamy used and i did my research (as i found out what fuzz bellamy uses) i simply forgot to look up its price

now please get off my back
the tone wicker will suit you fine, leave it in the normal "mid cut" setting for the muse tones and set it to flat mids for your punk tones
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by forsaknazrael
He's a Muse fan. Pretty much every Mus fan knows he uses a Fuzz Factory. Bellamy doesn't make a secret of it.

And no, I'm not out to get you. Don't think so highly of youself. I posted ikn here before you. I have a subscription to every thread I post in. So when you posted, I checked it out....

but the fact that he never mentioned it, never asked for a clone of it (which would be a good place to start if he can build pedals) shows otherwise which is why i suggested

i dont think highly of myself but the fact that you seem to be telling me off on every post i make makes it seems otherwise (although i doubt you actually are)
Yeah, except several other people mentioned the Fuzz Factory as being used by Bellamy already?

I'm only telling you off in that other thread because everything you posted was wrong. Why would I let bad information be spread?
Plus, half of your posts in general just really aren't that helpful, if you're trying to help. Just saying. Please talk about what you know, and what you have experience with. That other thread you got caught talking out of your ass so much I thought you might pinch a loaf mid sentence.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Aug 14, 2010,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Yeah, except several other people mentioned the Fuzz Factory as being used by Bellamy already?

I'm only telling you off in that other thread because everything you posted was wrong. Why would I let bad information be spread?
Plus, half of your posts in general just really aren't that helpful, if you're trying to help. Just saying. Please talk about what you know, and what you have experience with. That other thread you got caught talking out of your ass so much I thought you might pinch a loaf mid sentence.

several other people also mentioned other pedals so maybe by telling him which one would get him the tone he wanted he might not get something he doesnt want

and how the hell is you telling me off being helpful to the TS?

so what if i mentioned it? he said he was confused in one of his posts so i suggested the fuzz factory (and so what if i didnt know the price)...why do you have to look so deep into it? you didnt do that with the others so i do have reason to believe that for some reason your being a pain in the ass to me.

just leave it. all i did was suggest a pedal that was slightly out of his price range
you suggested a pedal that was almost twice his price range
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

Quote by lbj273
you suggested a pedal that was almost twice his price range

but i didnt know that it was twice the price which i clearly stated implying that it might be outside of his price range.

im not arguing that my suggestion was right or wrong rather that he implied that i should have known that the OP knew that he should get this pedal (which he never stated) and that other people already suggested it (which anyway im simply supporting their suggestion)

also the fact that he believe that my posts (in this thread...forge tthe other. i seemed to have messed up there) are useless as opposed to his posts concerning my "mistakes"

Wtrplyr only commented on those posts concerning other distortion pedals and not the fuzz factory
Last edited by '93 at Aug 14, 2010,
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, yeah. I'm awesome.

you deserve a lol stack
Ignorance and generalisation plagues the internet, and it isn't helpful in GG&A in the slightest. Don't take it to heart. Forsak, like all the other regulars here, just doesn't want to see the forum clogged up by the same sort of stupidity, repeatedly.
it starts with one persons stupidity that another noobie reads and thinks is true and they pass it on and thats how so many misconceptions about gear get started
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by ze monsta
Ignorance and generalisation plagues the internet, and it isn't helpful in GG&A in the slightest. Don't take it to heart. Forsak, like all the other regulars here, just doesn't want to see the forum clogged up by the same sort of stupidity, repeatedly.

what i dont understand is i how from simply suggeting a fuzz pedal im "clogging up this forum with stupidity"

i know that forsak might be a regular so youre naturally inclined to take his side but it doesnt give him a right to simply try to point out errors which do not exist
The Big Muff will get you great tones for songs like Dead Star, The Small Print and other power chord based songs. It also gets decent lead tones like Plug In Baby. However, it will by no means cover all muse tones.

As stated before, Matt uses a Fuzz Factory and that would be ideal but a Woolly Mammoth would be an excellent, tame alternative. They're both expensive though so you could make one for much less or stick with the muff.

Matt also uses a Diezel VH4 as his main amp, so you might want to look into pedals that replicate that sort of sound - maybe a ProCo Rat or MI Audio Crunch Box. Do you have any particular songs in mind?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB