I have an Epiphone EM-2 Custom Prophecy. It has active pickups that work in both active and passive mode. Or its supposed to. Both pickups work fine in passive mode, but when I switch them to active mode, there's a problem. At first I thought they stopped working completely, but if I crank the volume they're very faint as if the guitar was on clean and the volume was way down. Any ideas?
Quote by ibanezgod1973
change the battery

this.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
dumbest question ever..... maybe......
Gibson Faded Cherry Flying V
Epiphone Goldtop Les Paul
Digitech Whammy Pedal
Dunlop Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss DD-3 digital delay pedal
Electro-Harmonix Hot Tubes Real Tube Distortion pedal
it did this for a bit, i thought it was the battery, changed it, continued, changed it again, still continued.
Quote by zgbgydug
I have an Epiphone EM-2 Custom Prophecy. It has active pickups that work in both active and passive mode. Or its supposed to. Both pickups work fine in passive mode, but when I switch them to active mode, there's a problem. At first I thought they stopped working completely, but if I crank the volume they're very faint as if the guitar was on clean and the volume was way down. Any ideas?

huh?
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Jul 26, 2010,
Quote by SomebodySomeone
huh?

you can play them as normal humbuckers, or hit a switch (push down the volume nob) and change them to an active setting
Ok, maybe it's the switch.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by zgbgydug
you can play them as normal humbuckers, or hit a switch (push down the volume nob) and change them to an active setting

oh.....you mean COIL TAP?

and active pickup is still active...
with a push/pull knob you're probably referring to coil tap enabled actives.

this just lowers the output of the pickup. it doesn't change it from active to passive though....

EDIT: just googled your guitar..... HOLY SHIT! pickups that go from active to Passive with a flip of a switch?
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Jul 26, 2010,
I was thinking it was the switch, but I didnt want to buy one and replace it, then find out it wasnt
well its the battery or a faulty connection? try slightly wiggling the wires a bit. i dunno man... sounds kinda strange....
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
the wire on the battery-attacher-thing did come off before, but ive soldered it back on. i have absolutely no idea how to fix any of the inside wiring, but ive checked and none are loose or detached
^ You probably soldered it back wrong then. Was it acting weird before it came off?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
^ You probably soldered it back wrong then. Was it acting weird before it came off?

no i soldered it awhile ago and it worked fine for months. it seemed like it randomly crapped out on me
it still could be a dry joint, a proper solder joint should be smooth and shiny, with no burn marks or smoke clouds in it
took it in and got it fixed. apparently there was a loose wire in the input jack? at least its good now.
That makes sense. The stereo jack wouldn't have connected the battery when you plugged in the cable if the wires were disconnected.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs