Hey everyone. So I've been playing electric guitar for around 4 years now, but it seems that I've come to a giant roadblock lately with my playing. I'll tell you where I'm at and I hope you can give me some direction with what I should practice and learn next to improve more. I taught myself to play and only had a few informal lessons from friends here and there on the side. I play mostly hard rock and metal with some blues thrown in the mix as well.

So I know some basic music theory such as octaves and intervals and some notes on the first 2 strings. I know the pentatonic minor and blues scale in all 5 positions on the neck. I know the minor and major scales, and am familiar with the modes but don't know them all by heart. I can only really play power chords, but I can make progressions and recognize what key they're in. I'm having trouble making great sounding riffs, the ones I make are just okay. As far as technique goes, I can alternate pick, hammer on and pull off, bend, play arpeggios, and tremolo pick pretty well. I don't know how to sweep or tap.

It just seems like progressions and riffs I'm creating are getting very repetitive and boring. Even soloing over them or backing tracks is getting repetitive as well. I'm really serious about expanding my knowledge of guitar and improving skill wise, but I lack the finances to get lessons at the moment. So can anyone please give me an idea of what I should be practicing and doing to get past this block?
I was in your shoes about a year ago. Somone gave me the best advice ever;

"Seek a tutor, Try lessons"

And I've progressed more in the last year then I did in all of my self-taught time.
Seriously dude, Give it a shot
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.

And as far as lacking finances, most guitar tutors give free first lessons. Try one, and then if you think it's worth a shot, raise the funds
How many guitar players does it take to change a light bulb?

Twelve. One to change the bulb and eleven to say they could do it better.