hey guys iv been looking at strats and teles and love them but i play metal. i am aware there are humbucker versions of these guitars.

are there any decent stacked humbuckers that i could use for metal similar to misery signals n killswitch engage?
Tele's do come in double humbucker varieties. Strats come in HSS varieties.

Also if get a custom wound pickup you can get enough out of it to play some serious stuff.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier

Jackson DKMG

Hot Rodded Telecaster

"of course he`s egotistical we`re all egotistical if we weren`t we`d be bassists."

Alter Bridge Pearl Jam Foo Fighters 3 Doors Down
Why would you want to play a Strat for metal?

Believe me, I've gone through that faze, and it's not a wise one

Stacked single coils are supposed to sound like humbuckers, but I've yet to try one that really does. They're more like high output single coils than anything, though they do get rid of the hum
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Dimarzio makes some nice stacked singles, they may be able to get you close. but you might as well btie the bullet and route out your guitar/pickguard for humbuckers if you're going to be playing metal. there's only three people i can think of who have a decent metal tone with singles: Malmsteen, Blackmore and Jake E. Lee. if you want that Malmsteen thickly-squeal kind of tone, then get a stacked single. They don't have much use besides that, IMO.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I need to convince the other guitar player in my band to route his strat for a humbucker in the bridge...

Single coils are just too thin sounding, imo.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Quote by DakoRob
I need to convince the other guitar player in my band to route his strat for a humbucker in the bridge...

Single coils are just too thin sounding, imo.

Unless it doesn't have a pickguard, 90% of Strats are already routed HSS or HSH.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Jim Root sig. models

Loved them. Actually never loved a tele sooo much. EMG81-85 and tele.. give it a try
it can be done and if you're going for a specific sound it's great.
bkp sinner/sinner/sinner for awesome

but humbuckers do sound thicker and is more applicable for like 90 percent of metal tones. if that strat is your only guitar i'd suggest s/s/h with an option to split the bucker
I'd got sinner/sinner/miracle man or warpig. they sound great split.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by zakarai
I'm sure you get Single coil EMG's

They are not for metal, lots of jazz players use them for their cleans.
haha cheers guys yea i dont have strat or a tele, i was just seeing if it could be done before i buy as i do prefer the look of strats and teles with the singles, but yea im gonna go with humbuckers with all of ur advice i do have humbucker guitars already with BKP pups i just fancied a bit of a change lol but seeing as they are not as good as humbuckers ill just stick with them haha.

cheers guys
Quote by MatrixClaw
Why would you want to play a Strat for metal?

Believe me, I've gone through that faze, and it's not a wise one

What about Iron Maiden?
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
What about Iron Maiden?

Iron Maiden is not the kind of metal he, or I play
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ True, but you said metal, not modern metal.

Although I suppose he did mention Killswitch. (terrible HD cover, had to throw that out there)

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ True, but you said metal, not modern metal.

Although I suppose he did mention Killswitch. (terrible HD cover, had to throw that out there)

I like their cover better than the Dio version
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ The breakdown portion is possibly the worst piece of music ever produced by humanity.

Cavemen banging rocks could have done a better job.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ The breakdown portion is possibly the worst piece of music ever produced by humanity.

Cavemen banging rocks could have done a better job.

agreed. It's just one of those songs that never needs to be covered. especially by some run of the mill, dime a f*cking dozen, shitty metal band who's sole purpose seems to be as ironic as possible.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
random side note: I mess around with metal tones on my single-coil Esquire all the time. :P
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at Jul 26, 2010,
Seymour Duncan Hot Rails and JB Jr.
I've played guitars with Rails and got some pretty chunky sounds. They don't sound entirely like humbuckers, probably due to the narrow magnetic field, but they do a good job.

As for true single coils, it's hard to find a good one. Some say it can't be done, and others respond with "I use a strat/tele/p-90's for metal all the time". It can be done, but it's not common. A lot of them are a bit too twangy for metal, and that's hard to get rid of.
Last edited by sashki at Jul 26, 2010,