For probably too long I've had a Fender 15 watt rumble amp. What's even worse is I use it at band practice. I'm going to get a new amp soon so I can compete sound level wise. Who makes some good bass amps? And I have about $300 for one
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
peaveys are nice... I use a big fender at band and its nice with my ibanez... ampegs are amazing IMO, but probably a little out of your price range. I played a rumble 300 W fender once and it was alright for pretty cheap.
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/bass-amplifiers?N=100001+338527+9

from the link i sent, i've only played the fender rumble, orange crush, line 6 lodown, peavey max 115 and ampeg ba112. my favourite from those was peavey. i'm a guitarist first, but i do play bass here and there when i can get my hands on one. i'm no beginner at it either... so take my opinion as slightly valid!

anyway, i hope the link helped a little!
Acoustic will always give you a decent amp on a budget.

For $300 you would do well to look used. Peavey and Ashdown are good bets.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
^ Don't do it. Behringer has such a horrible reputation for a reason. There may be a few gems once in a blue moon, but the horror stories floating around about Behringer amps are quite true. Reliability, and quality control issues abound, and tbh they really aren't great amps to begin with.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
^ Don't do it. Behringer has such a horrible reputation for a reason. There may be a few gems once in a blue moon, but the horror stories floating around about Behringer amps are quite true. Reliability, and quality control issues abound, and tbh they really aren't great amps to begin with.

Ok thanks for the heads up.
Quote by UntilISleep

Quote by Primus2112

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

kkoo
Ive never used Warwick amps, so I can't speak from personal experience, but the reviews on this site and a few others for that amp are rather good. Id take someone elses advice over mine though.

Another thing to note about Behringer is they like to use peak voltage instead of root mean square, which most amp companies use, to make their amps seem more powerful than they actually are. That 300 watt Behringer actually produces more like 212 watts of power. Then it often explodes.
X

"Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart"
In order of awesomeness (i.e. my opinion)

Markbass > Ampeg > Kustom > Warwick > Carlsbro > Ashdown

Those are the amps I've tried and they're all great. My local guitar shop always hook me up to a Markbass when I try out basses, the crafty buggers.
Quote by izbbass
For probably too long I've had a Fender 15 watt rumble amp. What's even worse is I use it at band practice. I'm going to get a new amp soon so I can compete sound level wise. Who makes some good bass amps? And I have about $300 for one
Whatever you choose you need at least 300 watts for gigging.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
the big ones i've seen are usually ampeg, acoustic, ashdown and peavey, so try along those lines
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Quote by Bassist Rising
Yes. Warwick is(are?) a great manufacturer and 60w should be fine volume-wise. You could get a better one still if you look used on ebay or craigslist or something.

A 60 watt bass amp will not compete in a live situation, for live gigging you need 300 watts so that you can shift enough speaker surface area without straining the amp.
60 watts maybe ok for guitar but for bass no.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
A 60 watt bass amp will not compete in a live situation, for live gigging you need 300 watts so that you can shift enough speaker surface area without straining the amp.
60 watts maybe ok for guitar but for bass no.

That's fine because we don't do gigs yet. Pretty much just started up and getting things together
Quote by UntilISleep

Quote by Primus2112

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

kkoo
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gallien-Krueger-MB112-200W-1x12-Ultra-Light-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=423667

How is Gallien-Krueger? I've never heard of them and couldn't find any reviews for this amp anywhere.
Quote by UntilISleep

Quote by Primus2112

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7

kkoo
Quote by izbbass
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gallien-Krueger-MB112-200W-1x12-Ultra-Light-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=423667

How is Gallien-Krueger? I've never heard of them and couldn't find any reviews for this amp anywhere.

High end stuff is ok, low end stuff (like this) sucks horribly.
it's what i use http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B200-200W-1x15-Bass-Combo?sku=482902
had it for over a year now and im more then happy with it. my band started gigging recently (from coffeeshops to decently sized bars) and it's been more than enough.good for band practice too, much louder than my guitarists amp.
i will say this though, buy some casters for it or itll be a pain to lug around
Dick+strings= owww
I believe it's discontinued now but i play through a Fender BXR (bass extended range) 100 watt amp and it is a monster. Its not tube but it sounds really good. I dont believe theyre that expensive if you can find one. Theyre made in USA too
Quote by izbbass
That's fine because we don't do gigs yet. Pretty much just started up and getting things together

but you also need to be able to cut through and be heard, and a 60w amp won't do that. you've got however many guitars and drums as well so you've got to cut through as well
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
For US$300.00, your best bet is Acoustic. Take a look at the Acoustic B200 1x15 combo.

As for who makes good bass amplifiers, there are plenty to choose from. Fender of course (anything above the Rumble series), SWR, Markbass, Ampeg, Carvin, Hartke and Kustom are just a few of the better ones.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I'm going to say it... Ampeg. Un beatable in my opinion.

They've been spotted for their great B-15 Flip Top TUBE studio amp, and from then on... Pure quality bass cabs, heads and amps.
Quote by John Swift
Whatever you choose you need at least 300 watts for gigging.

Not unless he has to use his amp in a reasonably large gig without a PA, which is unlikely.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Acoustic will always give you a decent amp on a budget

Exactly!

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B200-200W-1x15-Bass-Combo?sku=482902

i know thats a little over your budget, but it will do! Trust me!

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B100-100W-1x15-Bass-Combo?sku=482900

this too, only 100W but Acoustic is a good brand.

Hope this helped!
w/o bass n drums, there wouldn't really be rock music.

Schecter is pronounced 'Shek-ter', right? I don't want to walk in and say, "Hey, can I try out that Sketcher?" and have the helper reply with "Wtf, we don't sell shoes!"
Ampegs sound nice...
I've used a Crate BT100 combo amp for the last three years, it's worked really well.
I have a friend who uses a Markbass, which sounds amazing when I've had the chance to use it. It's extremely light, and packs a huge punch when needed.
Other than that, I dunno. I do know that I wouldn't go with a Fender if my life depended on it Leave the amplification to the pros, stick to awesome basses.