So previously I shyed away from the very top of the fretboard, but I'm trying to master it as well now that I'm learning scales all over.

I have always used my pinky everywhere else and it's never been a problem for me to incorporate it like it has for some people, BUT, when I play extremely high up on the fretboard (g&l tribute legacy), especially the "lower notes" way up there, it's almost impossible for me to reach my pinky there, and I end up bending notes I don't want to and it's 10x worse standing up.

Do you guys just "get used to it" and eventually this becomes normal?

Or

Is there a point where you only use the pinky when you can and just use your index/middle/ring fingers the other instances when it's too hard to use the pinky?

I hope this made sense, it's hard as hell for me to bend my hand up and use the pinky way up there.
Quote by -TM-
So previously I shyed away from the very top of the fretboard, but I'm trying to master it as well now that I'm learning scales all over.

I have always used my pinky everywhere else and it's never been a problem for me to incorporate it like it has for some people, BUT, when I play extremely high up on the fretboard (g&l tribute legacy), especially the "lower notes" way up there, it's almost impossible for me to reach my pinky there, and I end up bending notes I don't want to and it's 10x worse standing up.

Do you guys just "get used to it" and eventually this becomes normal?

Or

Is there a point where you only use the pinky when you can and just use your index/middle/ring fingers the other instances when it's too hard to use the pinky?

I hope this made sense, it's hard as hell for me to bend my hand up and use the pinky way up there.

Are you wearing your guitar relatively low on your body?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Are you wearing your guitar relatively low on your body?

I used to but I moved it up.

I'm talking about even when I'm sitting down though I have this problem.

Like it's hard to bend my wrist to hit the 22nd fret low E string with my pinky.

The problem is very bad at around the 18th/19th frets and it gets worse as it goes higher.

Should I just use 3 fingers around this place?
Quote by -TM-
I used to but I moved it up.

I'm talking about even when I'm sitting down though I have this problem.

Like it's hard to bend my wrist to hit the 22nd fret low E string with my pinky.

The problem is very bad at around the 18th/19th frets and it gets worse as it goes higher.

Should I just use 3 fingers around this place?

By the time you get up to that high on the fretboard it becomes difficult to squeeze your fingers into that kind of space anyway, it's the sort of thing that I might pratice on wider stretching ideas but if you're having trouble reaching your pinky up there then there's no shame in not using it.

It's the sort of thing I'd still practice and see if I could make it work well enough to use but if you can't then there's no harm; mainly the focus on getting the pinky working with independence and strength is so that you have the option to use it if and when you need it for more reach.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
To be honest, when does anyone ever use 22nd fret low E string, or notes around there? Even if you did, the frets are so close together up there that there probably wouldn't be much use in using your pinky, you can reach it with your ring finger.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
By the time you get up to that high on the fretboard it becomes difficult to squeeze your fingers into that kind of space anyway, it's the sort of thing that I might pratice on wider stretching ideas but if you're having trouble reaching your pinky up there then there's no shame in not using it.

It's the sort of thing I'd still practice and see if I could make it work well enough to use but if you can't then there's no harm; mainly the focus on getting the pinky working with independence and strength is so that you have the option to use it if and when you need it for more reach.

Alright thanks everyone, yeah finger independence/strength isn't a problem for me I just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting myself into a bad habit that would eventually become very hard to break.
Yeah, since the frets are so close up there, I like to avoid using my pinky since it is the least useful of my fingers. That's not to say I neglect it - I'll use it up there if I need to, say if I'm playing a sequence of four or more different notes on one string.
I wouldn't worry about it....my pinky is pretty small, maybe just 2 inches long....and i can't use it past the 15th fret low E. Even with my guitar in classical position. If i try to arch my wrist round so i can reach past the 15th fret with my pinky it bridges my index up and stops me muting the other strings with it.
Once I get past the fifteenth fret I never use the pinky.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Well, being that ideal guitar playing technique involves allowing yourself to play in the most natural and relaxed state possible, to me it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to squeeze your fingers together just so you can use your pinky in very tight cramped up places. Should the need arise for you to have to do something like that, it's good to be able to, but for the most part I use three fingers on the high frets (17+).

Some will tell you though that you should always follow a one-finger-per-fret rule, and many of their reasonings hold value, but I just tend to take the other side of the argument myself.
I hate my pinky, it only reaches the first knuckle past the nail of my ring finger. and to further put into perspective, at the 17th fret my pinky is only as long as the fret board is wide.

Trying to do arpeggios and sweeps that high on the fretboard is a little awkward for me, esp when I have to hit notes immediately after with the other fingers, because I essentially have to move my whole hand down and/or my other fingers are in an awkawrd curl because theyre forced that way because I have to make my pinky reach.

I try not to dwell on it, I'll figure out a way that works for me or ill just get better at the way I am currently doing it.

I was trying to play a "betcha cant play this" from guitar mag from may I think, and there is a 3rd-8th fret stretch. It is impossible for me to make this stretch without dislocating my fingers (trust me). At the point I JUST reach the 8th fret my hand feels like its going to pop and I know that no matter how hard I try I will never be able to make such a stretch controlled, it just wont physically work for me.

So I practice and work on my rolling alot. Why do a 5 fret stretch when all I have to do is roll to the string above :P sure.. I cannot exactly copy the way some people play and the tone might change a little but its what I have to do.

Learn, adapt and enjoy your playing.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Really the biggest struggle would be developing accuracy in the pinky. It's pretty easy to hit big frets, but once they start getting small, it requires more agility. As far as reaching for the low E string that far up, I don't really see a point, like most others said.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.