Hello! I am a bass player and have a dilemma. I really don't have a style of playing and range from blues and funk to thrash metal to pop, but really don't excel in any of them. I don't want to limit myself to one, but I feel I am not progressing because I am all over the place. The same goes for my music on my Ipod and such. I play Marcus Miller and Jaco Pastorius and then Escape The Fate and August Burns Red the next. Depedning on what I listen to, my playing changes. I also go through periods of musical depression and can't play anything well or come up with anything new. I get in repetitive patterns of the same stuff and it gets me mad because I am uncapable of writing new material. Any advice would be helpful.
You need to expand your practice routine. You can play whatever you want, but your practice routine needs to cover basis in all the genres you play.
I'm a musician/composer before I'm a guitar player.

foREVer

R.I.P Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan.
id say play whatever genres you want. maybe focus on some scales and arpeggios as well (though make that the minority of your practicing).
Yeah, I don't really have a practice routine. I do know my scales (major and minor), arpeggios in major and minor keys and basic theory stuff though.
Have you considered trying to pickup jazz bass? Every genre has some element to it that jazz playing will improve, and you'll start hearing things a little differently, helping you get out of that rut.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
I like to listen to jazzy stuff for the bass playing but haven't really tried to play it myself. I honestly wouldn't know where to even start though. :/
Lessons, man, lessons. Just to start, you could look up an online tutorial on walking bass lines with chords a 4th apart. It's something you can get a hang of fast, and and it goes a long way. I'd suggest starting with the tune "All of Me." I'm definitely not a bass player, and I was able to walk my way through it for a trio performance.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

I know how to play walking basslines. I have no clue how to play to the jazz stuff though(I know it's basically all walking), but where can I find the chord charts? Also, is it mostly improvved?
It is usually improvised. If you know enough theory, work out your arpeggios over every type of 7th chord and then look up the chord progressions to any jazz songs you might've heard.
Quote by bearded_monkey

Quote by yenkosc
I know how to play walking basslines. I have no clue how to play to the jazz stuff though(I know it's basically all walking), but where can I find the chord charts? Also, is it mostly improvved?

YOu can find chord charts in fake books. I reccomend the fake book.
i would add.. listen to your fav bass songs make a note of the techniques they use to make you like it (long slides to your target notes, chords, ect.) make a simple chord progression (I IV V, or wateva you like) and apply what you like to hear to your own playing.
music theory is a must... at least a basic understanding. (how progressions are made from different scales, what to play over a chord, harmony, if you would like info/links i have some) in my experience lack of music theory is the main reason for being stuck.... 2nd is not having the band/backing i want

IMO genres are basically the same.... just different distortion, speed, and chords... one should be good at all genres because nothing major changes except maybe for the jazz genre... so keep playing everything you like, just focus on the notes your playing and try to understand why that artist used those notes...

find other ppl who like the same every genre music you do. with me its, the confession, escape the fate, Blind melon, limp bizkit (mainly older), aerosmith, BFMV, slash, chiodos, and hell even the n sync no strings attached CD ... and my goal is to adapt all those bands styles into my playing (not sure what i'd do for n sync tho lol) ie... chiodos/ E.T.F./blind melon for solos and interlude stuff, wes' (LB guitarist) use of rhythm for verse/chorus (the energy off of 3 dollar bill is just great) and umm joe perrys work (aerosmith) as well as the band "the confession" can be applied in all areas.... once i have analyzed these bands guitar work i will be so much closer to the sound i want in a band..
Last edited by elihu4321 at Jul 28, 2010,