Poll: Are police sting operations ever justifiable?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are police sting operations ever justifiable?
Yes
91 92%
No
8 8%
Voters: 99.
Page 1 of 2
When drug lords and the mob is involved.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Sure.

Edit: fingerdo or whatever that name was, sort that double post out
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Last edited by PussyPunk182 at Jul 26, 2010,
They're just catching people who would be committing whatever crime anyway, rather than, like you said, entrapping innocent people.

For example, an cop undercover as a ho cant be like "hey you wanna have a good time? come on...u sure? come on ....really....come on...itll be fun!....." The person has to actually go over and be like "yo bitch I wanna pay you cash for a blowie."
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Entrapment is fucked up, sting operations are alright.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
What is the problem if they aren't provoking anyone to break the law?
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Ever... dunno. Rarely, if at all.

The definitions on the wiki pages are blurry. I don't like the police setting people up to commit a crime, I feel a federal authority should be above cheap tricks.
Depends on the situation.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by rgrockr
What is the problem if they aren't provoking anyone to break the law?

They're facilitating a crime, then arresting the perpetrator.
Quote by blue_strat
They're facilitating a crime, then arresting the perpetrator.

If the person wouldn't have otherwise committed the crime then I don't see the problem. If a UC pretends to buy drugs then arrest the dealer, yes they are facilitating crime but removing a criminal who would have dealt the drugs whether the cops bought from them or not.
Quote by rgrockr
If the person wouldn't have otherwise committed the crime then I don't see the problem. If a UC pretends to buy drugs then arrest the dealer, yes they are facilitating crime but removing a criminal who would have dealt the drugs whether the cops bought from them or not.

But people have the freedom to choose for themselves what to do in any situation, and if they are only observed committing the crime in a manufactured situation, then who are the police to determine that they will continue to behave that way in the future?

Presumably evidence of previous crimes is required, but they should be convicted on the basis of that evidence, not on a situation created by the police.
yes to every situation especially the "to catch a predator" style ones
Why are there not more tv shows like this?
I let you get away so cleanly.
If it's against organised crime then yes. If it's trying to get an underage person to get someone to buy stuff for them, no.
Yes. Someone happens to order a hit from an undercover cop. Oops

'Tis life.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
I think they're the best way to prevent crime besides education. You trick people, get them off the streets sooner than waiting to catch them in the act. Sounds good to me
Quote by blue_strat
But people have the freedom to choose for themselves what to do in any situation, and if they are only observed committing the crime in a manufactured situation, then who are the police to determine that they will continue to behave that way in the future?

Presumably evidence of previous crimes is required, but they should be convicted on the basis of that evidence, not on a situation created by the police.

What's manufactured about asking a dealer for a hit?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Yep. I have no problem with cops posing as young girls in chat sites to catch child molesters.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
Yep. I have no problem with cops posing as young girls in chat sites to catch child molesters.
+1

...Although I do have a problem with airing it on television simply so viewers can take joy in others humiliation.
Quote by The Madcap

...Although I do have a problem with airing it on television simply so viewers can take joy in others humiliation.

Do you ever find out who they are, exactly? If you don't it could be argued on the other hand that it's a deterrent.

It's crap TV either way >_>

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
If you don't it could be argued on the other hand that it's a deterrent.
I suppose, but it's effectiveness as a deterrent sounds incredibly iffy to me.
Sting operations - No problem.
Entrapment operations - Big problem.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
The abscence of evidence is NOT the evidence of abscence!

yeah big deal im white and i watch the boondocks, wanna fight about it?
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Sting operations - Sure

Entrapment - Naw

Plagiarism sucks too.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
Plagiarism sucks too.

Didn't see that.

I guess it isn't just great minds that think alike.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
Didn't see that.

I guess it isn't just great minds that think alike.

A Picador arises!!!!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by blue_strat

You're still thinking of entrapment. According to your logic a guy who carries drugs on him and stands at a street corner all day might not have sold drugs if the UC hadn't hit him up for them.
Sure If its against sex predators where you walk in and Chris Hansen tells you to have a seat, and then proceeds to ask you why you were there tonight.

Its right as long as the person getting trapped isn't getting trapped to be framed for a crime he or she didn't/ wasn't going to commit...

even though that might not make sense when written like that lol
My username is a Misnomer.

Im not into the whole drug scene....

I just think Fire is Boss.

Quote by Snakeskin
The abscence of evidence is NOT the evidence of abscence!

yeah big deal im white and i watch the boondocks, wanna fight about it?

That is hands-down the best episode of the whole series. Every moment is brilliant, except maybe the Health Inspector's retardedly large equipment.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
That is hands-down the best episode of the whole series. Every moment is brilliant, except maybe the Health Inspector's retardedly large equipment.

i always wondered why they ended up going to the gas station and picking a fight with terrorist instead of finding the x box killer, either way i died laughing
Quote by Snakeskin
i always wondered why they ended up going to the gas station and picking a fight with terrorist instead of finding the x box killer, either way i died laughing

You mean "terrorists." All they really wanted was beer called Black Gold.

You ever wonder why the USA ended up going to Iraq and picking a fight with "terrorists" to get Black Gold (oil) instead of finding the 9/11 leader?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
You mean "terrorists." All they really wanted was beer called Black Gold.

You ever wonder why the USA ended up going to Iraq and picking a fight with "terrorists" to get Black Gold (oil) instead of finding the 9/11 leader?

iraq was a scam?
I remember a while back seeing something on t.v. about the coolest sting operation I'd ever seen.

Basically there were a bunch of people who had warrants out for their arrests and for some reason or other the cops couldn't get them. So they sent letters to their relatives saying that they had some form of unclaimed money coming to them (sweepstakes, tax screw up, i can't remember) and said they had to come to this place to get it. Almost all of the people with warrants showed up.

Totally brialliant. A bit brutal...perhaps. But really ingenious. Not really entrapment because they've already committed a crime.
Quote by Snakeskin
iraq was a scam?

I'm just saying, that's why they went to the store. That's what that whole episode is about.... well that and Tom's analrapephobia.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Page 1 of 2