ok so within the last 3 nonths i bought a burgera 5 watt ap and added a dimarzio super distirtion to my start. i sounds good but i meed to add an overdrive to the amp to get a real metal tone. ill play anything from 80s glam to avenged sevenfold and atryu and alot of punk. so wat overdrive or distortion will help me get sounds for alot of those?? willing to pay 150usd
Bryce
A keeley modded Boss MT-2 would sound good, not sure if that amp will ever get a "real metal tone" since the amp is class A wiring , But it sould get close enough and sound way cool!
Put some JJ/Tesla or Groove tubes pre amp and power tubes in it. They seem to be a little higher gain and will sound better than whats in it.
Last edited by mcamp1230 at Jul 26, 2010,
Quote by mcamp1230
A keeley modded Boss MT-2 would sound good, not sure if that amp will ever get a "real metal tone" since the amp is class A wiring , But it sould get close enough and sound way cool!
Put some JJ/Tesla or Groove tubes pre amp and power tubes in it. They seem to be a little higher gain and will sound better than whats in it.

"Metal" is such a broad term, anyways most metal focuses on preamp distortion and with the poweramp not doing much to the overall tone. Class A amps have a super cool advantage to them, they don't sag, so how ever loose your tone is you could fix that with a good EQ pedal/overdrive or anything (unless you go apeshit and mod your amp to be horribly bassy)

I'd borrow a TubeScreamer type pedal, a lot of metalheads use those for their saturation and tightness. The TS7 does that pretty well according to a lot of respected people. I've never tried it, but i have no need to try it.

PM CatharsisStudio, he's THE metal tone expert to talk to about tightness and tubescreamers